Bulk Ammo Storage in Ammo Cans/Ziplock Bags? - Page 2

Bulk Ammo Storage in Ammo Cans/Ziplock Bags?

This is a discussion on Bulk Ammo Storage in Ammo Cans/Ziplock Bags? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet There is no "standard and acceptable" practice for storing your ammo in your home. . If you believe the NRA sets ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bulk Ammo Storage in Ammo Cans/Ziplock Bags?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There is no "standard and acceptable" practice for storing your ammo in your home. .
    If you believe the NRA sets no "standards" in the use, ownership, and storage of firearms and ammunition, then you're left with only the manufacturer. Of course you would also then have to believe that you know more about the ammunition then the manufacturer does.
    Last edited by 2700; October 27th, 2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2700 View Post
    If you believe the NRA sets no "standards" in the use, ownership, and storage of firearms and ammunition, then you'll left with only the manufacture. Of course you would also then have to believe that you know more about the ammunition then the manufacture does.
    The manufacturer ships its ammo in cardboard boxes and plastic or styrofoam trays--not airtight/water steel or plastic containers--because it's cheap. So ammo storage can't terrible complicated. So I stick with keeping it dry and away from heat in whatever manner one wishes and feels is most convenient.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The manufacturer ships its ammo in cardboard boxes and plastic or styrofoam trays--not airtight/water steel or plastic containers--because it's cheap. So ammo storage can't terrible complicated. So I stick with keeping it dry and away from heat in whatever manner one wishes and feels is most convenient.
    It's not. But there is a standard and accepted method by both the NRA and the manufacturer.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

dump them in a ammo can and drop in a box end so you will know what they are when you open them years from now. i have stored ammo in ammo cans, coffee cans, factory boxes in drawers, in sockes, etc....... some were put in the cans in the early 80's. they all have gone bang. even the one that looked like crap, old 30 year russian ammo will turn green. when you buy bulk packs of 22lr ammo, the rounds are just dropped in a box. you can put lots of 22lr ammo in a ammo can.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

One advantage to keeping the ammo in original boxes (in an ammo can) is that you can keep track of the LOT. Say you dump 6,000 rounds of ammo into 3 ammo cans, 2 years from now you're at the range, and you have a squib. Two mags later you have 2 dud primers in a row. Next mag you get a double charge and bulge your barrel. Do you remember what the lot number was on those 40 boxes of 50 rounds you just dumped into the can? Were there other boxes from the same lot that you dumped into the other 2 full ammo cans? How do you contact the manufacturer to notify them of a bad lot? Do you risk shooting the rest of your ammo?

VIP Member
    If you have a fire and have guns AND ammo both in the same safe. It's likely the ammo will cook off inside the safe adding greatly to the heat and damage to the guns. BTW, if the firemen detect ammo cooking off they might back away from your house fire.

Just a thought because I've seen it happen........UGH
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    If you have a fire and have guns AND ammo both in the same safe. It's likely the ammo will cook off inside the safe adding greatly to the heat and damage to the guns. BTW, if the firemen detect ammo cooking off they might back away from your house fire.

Just a thought because I've seen it happen........UGH
    Very good point! At this point my city has good fire/police service. If the house goes up in flames that's what insurance is for. The guns and ammo cover me if SHTF and fire/police/insurance no longer mater.

Thanks for the advice all. I'm re packing the safe now making room for the WASR and 7000 of his friends.

I have a ton (almost literally) of ammo stored, much is the ChiCom 7.62X39 steel core in sardine cans in the wooded crates, some was in wood crates in commercial type boxes (7.62X39, 7.62X51, 5.56).
    This I took ammo out of the boxes put in GI ammo cans, I put the cans in the sun to warm up, threw in a silica gel pack and 1 flattened box for ID and closed, I have opened 1 can and it was near impossible, I had to sun warm the can again, in an emergency I may have to drill to break the seal. This ammo should be good for 100 years, I have shot 30-06 that was stamped from the 1940s stored in ammo cans with no problem.

There is no "standard and acceptable" practice for storing your ammo in your home. Just mark what each is and do whatever works best for you.

I've got a wooden ammo box filled with plastic ammo cases, baggies, and a old cotton sox filled with shotgun shells. Been there for 19 years. Each round I've pulled out over the years has fire just fine.
    DUDE- you've been lookin at my stored ammo n stuff! lol over 20 years and counting on some of that stuff.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Here's a link to the SAAMI "recommendations" for storing ammunition. Bear in mind, in some states, state law and/or local municipality ordinances may apply as to quantity amd method of storage.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ammunition.pdf

I found the info about ammo in a fire interesting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I put mine in Lock'n'Lock containers with the end tab of the box they are from so I know what date code they are in case of a recall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links