Bulk Ammo Storage in Ammo Cans/Ziplock Bags?

This is a discussion on Bulk Ammo Storage in Ammo Cans/Ziplock Bags? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe a silly question but I dont want to damage thou$and$ of dollar$ worth of ammo. I have a refrigerator size safe that is FULL ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bulk Ammo Storage in Ammo Cans/Ziplock Bags?

Maybe a silly question but I dont want to damage thou$and$ of dollar$ worth of ammo. I have a refrigerator size safe that is FULL and I'm wanting to add a WASR 10/63 with 7000 rounds of 7.63x39. I have 13,000 rounds of .40 cal and 9mm FMJ that are stacked in individual boxes. By breaking them down into ziplock sandwich bags I can fit 2000 in an Ammo can reducing storage space by 50%. Am I looking at any future problems by storing this way? I was planing to put desiccant in with them but would the weight possibly cause issues with FTF due to impressions or deformations? Just Currious. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Maybe a silly question but I dont want to damage thou$and$ of dollar$ worth of ammo. I have a refrigerator size safe that is FULL and I'm wanting to add a WASR 10/63 with 7000 rounds of 7.63x39. I have 13,000 rounds of .40 cal and 9mm FMJ that are stacked in individual boxes. By breaking them down into ziplock sandwich bags I can fit 2000 in an Ammo can reducing storage space by 50%. Am I looking at any future problems by storing this way? I was planing to put desiccant in with them but would the weight possibly cause issues with FTF due to impressions or deformations? Just Currious. Thanks in advance.
    Why cant I have neighbors like you.

Ideally you should store the ammo in their orignal containers. Ammo cans and desiccants are fine, but in the living space of most homes will be sufficient in terms of temperature and humidity.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Humidity and tempurture are not a problem in my location. I was worried more about the weight. 2000 rounds is about 60 lbs. that's a bit a pressure constantly on the casing. Any chance of this causing FTF. I don't think they will be stored like this for more than a couple of years. I'll probably go thru 5000 rounds a year at the range.

VIP Member
    It will be just fine. Ammo cans are called ammo cans because THERY WERE MADE TO HOLD AMMO. Sheesh, this aint rocket surgery.

That's what I figured, just thought I would ask. I do tend to over analyze things a bit. That's one reason the safe is overflowing.

Won't bother it at all. Think about all the clipped or linked ammo that came in those ammo cans to begin with... Plus, even if you stacked up 60 pounds of ammo on just one round, the applied pressure would be well below the elastic limit of the brass or steel cartridge case. Store away!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Humidity and tempurture are not a problem in my location. I was worried more about the weight. 2000 rounds is about 60 lbs. that's a bit a pressure constantly on the casing. Any chance of this causing FTF. I don't think they will be stored like this for more than a couple of years. I'll probably go thru 5000 rounds a year at the range.
    The standard and accepted recommendation is storing ammunition in their orignal containers.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Your looking at massive problems doing that. My recommendation is ship me the 9mm ammo to store for you. Since I'm being nice enough to store it for you, I'll go one step further and on a weekly basis, I will take 4 boxes to the range, just to make sure it is still functioning properly.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I would think, just trying to think this through which is a dangerous activity for me this early in the morning, that you actually gain some safety by breaking them down into ammo cans. You can only get so many in one can, and those cans will stack on top of each other and bear the weight of the can above them vs. the orignial container.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As long as the ammo is protected by any means against excessive humidity and heat, it makes no difference what you store it in--ammo cans, tupperware, ziplock bags, whatever. Typical home A/C is fine for keeping humidity at acceptable levels. There is no "standard and acceptable" practice for storing your ammo in your home. Just mark what each is and do whatever works best for you.

I've got a wooden ammo box filled with plastic ammo cases, baggies, and a old cotton sox filled with shotgun shells. Been there for 19 years. Each round I've pulled out over the years has fire just fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lead Moderator
    Why not store in original boxes inside ammo cans? Ammo cans (atleast US mil (), have a gasket to seal them .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Why not store in original boxes inside ammo cans? Ammo cans (atleast US mil (), have a gasket to seal them .
    He wants to reduce the space required by the retail boxes.

The 7.62x54r ammo I get in spam cans is usually 10~20+ years old. Some the primers carry surface rust, but work like a charm.... have not had one FTF. Now that's old cheapo Russian surplus stuff.

Toss it in an ammo can and add a pack of the oxygen absorbers if you're really worried about long term storage.

PS: since I don't know the age of the ammo cans and gasket condition, I started using these:

http://www.amazon.com/MTM-Forest-Gre...words=ammo+can
    http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Ammo-Can...words=ammo+can

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    It's all about the space in the safe. By breaking them down I can store twice the ammo. I have 30,000 rounds of large caliber and 25,000 .22lr I'm trying to store. It's not all going to all fit in the safe I want as much as possible in there.

I wish i had that much lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links