Looking for a couple .22's for plinking & teaching wife and kids to shoot

This is a discussion on Looking for a couple .22's for plinking & teaching wife and kids to shoot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently have an old Ruger 10/22 but selfishly I'd like to have an AR style .22 for plinking. Been looking at both the Sig ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer

Thread: Looking for a couple .22's for plinking & teaching wife and kids to shoot

I currently have an old Ruger 10/22 but selfishly I'd like to have an AR style .22 for plinking.

Been looking at both the Sig .22 and the S & W, M & P AR style .22. Can anyone offer any first hand experiences or recommendations on either one? Or other suggestions?

For pistols I have a Sig P225 9mm, Glock 23 .40 and access to my dad's Colt Python .357, Ruger Redhawk .44, S & W 636 .357, Randall 1911 .45 and an older S & W K22 (I think) revolvers plus a few others. So I'm really not thinking I want a revolver - plus I'd prefer my wife learns with something remotely similar to my Sig P225 or Glock 23 which is why I would prefer a semi-auto .22.

As far as a semi-auto .22 pistol goes - I'm considering either the Walther P22 (possibly in the digital brown camo) or the S & W, M & P .22. Again - any experiences, recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Bill

if you can get over the look the ruger mk III's function flawlessly.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    +1 on the Ruger; I went through a Sig and an S&W before I finally bought the one I didn't really want in the first place, the Ruger 10/22-45. I love it.

For rifles I'd stick to Ruger as well.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

The guys I shoot a "tactical" .22 rifle match with overwhelmingly select the S&W AR clone, and I have to say it seems pretty reliable (until you throw a drum magazine on it). I'm sticking with my lightly-modified 10/22, though.

For plinking pistols, if you want to train kids to make every shot count, I'd suggest a Ruger Single-Six. Nothing quite a revolver for slowing them down and focusing on the sights and trigger. The risk there is that the nice single-action trigger will spoil them! But if you want to make the soda cans jump, the Ruger Mark pistols (III is ok, I'd hold out and look for a good used MkII) and the Browning Buckmark are rugged, reliable and accurate shooters.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I have the camo Walther P22. It's a nice little gun. Very accurate for what it is. It can be a little picky on ammo. The manual suggests only high velocity ammo, and mine seems to like jacketed bullets best. For a plinking or introductory gun, I love it.
    Walk softly ...

I have a Ruger MkIII and an SP101 that I would highly recommend. The MkIII is a pain to reassemble but once you've done it a few times it really isn't that hard.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The guys I shoot a "tactical" .22 rifle match with overwhelmingly select the S&W AR clone, and I have to say it seems pretty reliable (until you throw a drum magazine on it). I'm sticking with my lightly-modified 10/22, though.

For plinking pistols, if you want to train kids to make every shot count, I'd suggest a Ruger Single-Six. Nothing quite a revolver for slowing them down and focusing on the sights and trigger. The risk there is that the nice single-action trigger will spoil them! But if you want to make the soda cans jump, the Ruger Mark pistols (III is ok, I'd hold out and look for a good used MkII) and the Browning Buckmark are rugged, reliable and accurate shooters.
    yea the II is better, i'll give you that.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    I have a Ruger SR22...fun and inexpensive semi-auto handgun to shoot...and a Mossberg 715T AR style .22LR which is also fun and inexpensive to shoot.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Browning Buckmark Camper for a semi .22 handgun.

I love my Browning Bucmark. The Ruger SR22 and S&W M&P 22 both have great reviews and feedback if you want something that more resembles the function of a defensive handgun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I love Ruger revolvers but I've never been partial to their semi-automatics. I have a Browning Buckmark and I have been very pleased with it. As for an AR style .22LR, I really like the M&P.

Sponsored Links