Looking for a couple .22's for plinking & teaching wife and kids to shoot

This is a discussion on Looking for a couple .22's for plinking & teaching wife and kids to shoot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently have an old Ruger 10/22 but selfishly I'd like to have an AR style .22 for plinking. Been looking at both the Sig ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer

Thread: Looking for a couple .22's for plinking & teaching wife and kids to shoot

I currently have an old Ruger 10/22 but selfishly I'd like to have an AR style .22 for plinking.

Been looking at both the Sig .22 and the S & W, M & P AR style .22. Can anyone offer any first hand experiences or recommendations on either one? Or other suggestions?

For pistols I have a Sig P225 9mm, Glock 23 .40 and access to my dad's Colt Python .357, Ruger Redhawk .44, S & W 636 .357, Randall 1911 .45 and an older S & W K22 (I think) revolvers plus a few others. So I'm really not thinking I want a revolver - plus I'd prefer my wife learns with something remotely similar to my Sig P225 or Glock 23 which is why I would prefer a semi-auto .22.

As far as a semi-auto .22 pistol goes - I'm considering either the Walther P22 (possibly in the digital brown camo) or the S & W, M & P .22. Again - any experiences, recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Bill

if you can get over the look the ruger mk III's function flawlessly.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

+1 on the Ruger; I went through a Sig and an S&W before I finally bought the one I didn't really want in the first place, the Ruger 10/22-45. I love it.

For rifles I'd stick to Ruger as well.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    The guys I shoot a "tactical" .22 rifle match with overwhelmingly select the S&W AR clone, and I have to say it seems pretty reliable (until you throw a drum magazine on it). I'm sticking with my lightly-modified 10/22, though.

For plinking pistols, if you want to train kids to make every shot count, I'd suggest a Ruger Single-Six. Nothing quite a revolver for slowing them down and focusing on the sights and trigger. The risk there is that the nice single-action trigger will spoil them! But if you want to make the soda cans jump, the Ruger Mark pistols (III is ok, I'd hold out and look for a good used MkII) and the Browning Buckmark are rugged, reliable and accurate shooters.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I have the camo Walther P22. It's a nice little gun. Very accurate for what it is. It can be a little picky on ammo. The manual suggests only high velocity ammo, and mine seems to like jacketed bullets best. For a plinking or introductory gun, I love it.
    Walk softly ...

I have a Ruger MkIII and an SP101 that I would highly recommend. The MkIII is a pain to reassemble but once you've done it a few times it really isn't that hard.
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The guys I shoot a "tactical" .22 rifle match with overwhelmingly select the S&W AR clone, and I have to say it seems pretty reliable (until you throw a drum magazine on it). I'm sticking with my lightly-modified 10/22, though.

For plinking pistols, if you want to train kids to make every shot count, I'd suggest a Ruger Single-Six. Nothing quite a revolver for slowing them down and focusing on the sights and trigger. The risk there is that the nice single-action trigger will spoil them! But if you want to make the soda cans jump, the Ruger Mark pistols (III is ok, I'd hold out and look for a good used MkII) and the Browning Buckmark are rugged, reliable and accurate shooters.
    yea the II is better, i'll give you that.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    I have a Ruger SR22...fun and inexpensive semi-auto handgun to shoot...and a Mossberg 715T AR style .22LR which is also fun and inexpensive to shoot.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Moving to a new location

Browning Buckmark Camper for a semi .22 handgun.

Under an old Volkswagen somewhere in Florida
    I love my Browning Bucmark. The Ruger SR22 and S&W M&P 22 both have great reviews and feedback if you want something that more resembles the function of a defensive handgun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I love Ruger revolvers but I've never been partial to their semi-automatics. I have a Browning Buckmark and I have been very pleased with it. As for an AR style .22LR, I really like the M&P.

Sponsored Links