Am I being Unreasonable

This is a discussion on Am I being Unreasonable within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another reason I married a Marine she understands the need for a few AR's around the house....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Am I being Unreasonable

Another reason I married a Marine she understands the need for a few AR's around the house.

2. Remove Ads

Right now my marching orders are I have to get married before I can buy another boat or gun. Say what??? Well at 44 I guess it is time. I better get married before getting the sig 229DAK out of layaway or I will never hear the end of it.

If she is not completely anti-gun than the best way to convince her is to borrow your buddy's and have her shoot one. Right AFTER she takes a shot with the 30-30. That will show her the role difference between the guns, and she might see that it is a fun gun to shoot. For a long time I considered the Black Rifle silly looking, but the day I shot my friend's for the first time I started shopping for the parts to build one. If she wont try this plan, maybe you can do the same with your daughters? How could she refuse if her daughters request it.
    Foxy and BigStick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    I am the "bread winner" ... but the real fact is that I just want one.
    Sounds simple enough to me... but I'll be accused of having the wrong attitude by many, and I may. But when it comes down to it, you earn the green, buy yourself some black..
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you WANT one, then buy it, but I'd be satisfied with the 30-30.
    I sold my AR to buy a 30-30 and a lever action .22mag rifle...works for me.
    I concur. Unless your budget is limited and it causes a financial burden, I'd buy what I want or feel I need. My wife is the opposite and she'd buy it for me.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

I don't know about everyone else here but, I'm an adult. If I can truly afford the expense, and it isn't morally wrong like spending the money on a prostitute or something, I will buy it. Money has been tight for the last few years for us and my gun purchases have been extremely minimal. Family always comes first. With that said, I have an AR-10. I never understood the having to ask permission for something I see as a right of an adult.

I just see it as a fundamental wrong. I would never tell my wife she couldn't get something short of not being able to afford it. I expect and demand the same consideration. I wouldn't even ask my wife, I don't think as a grown man you should have to.

Get a second job.

Buy a Colt 6920.

It's an investment.

An AR rifle is no more evil than a pair of high-heeled shoes. Neither one has the ability to commit an evil act on its own, but either one can provoke certain thoughts in a man's mind. Are those thoughts evil? Depends on the man, I guess.

What kinda man are you?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

This is why my wife has her money and I have my money. No joint accounts on anything but the mortgage and I love the folks who say this isn't a marriage. If arguing about money constitutes a marriage. then I guess I don't have a marriage but I do have just about every gun I want. Just start buying a piece at a time so it doesn't sting her as much and you'll eventually have all the goodies you need to build an AR. Kinda like an AR on layaway.

My Ex ....... was military trained, and could always shoot better than I could. She never debated with me about any guns I wanted to get. She just didn't care one way or the other.
    So, I can't say I ever had the issue.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Not unreasonable

Having a functional AR15 (dont settle for cheap) and a stack of loaded mags and a case of ammo is quite reasonable to me. MINIMAL. I notice you don't have any kind of shotgun, either for home defense or hunting. Hmmm... Likewise, tho less important, would be a .22 pistol for practice and small game. Ammo is cheap(er).
    None of this helps with your wife. Unless I were in dire poverty, I would always have the small personal "arsenal" of .38 revolver, deer rifle, semi auto AR or AK type, shotgun (preferably w/interchangable barrels), .22 rifle. A 9mm or up combat pistol, .22 pistol would also be desirable. That's just me.

If she is anti, it doesn't matter. You can't hold off the horde by yourself, so it doesn't really matter.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    How about getting one with pink furniture on it and giving it to her for her birthday?
    I was going to say something like that.

I built my base PSA rifle for around $800. Throw in accessories (optics, mags, upgraded furniture) over time, and I've probably got around $1,600 in it. I love that rifle.

HONESTY IS BEST,,,, just tell her you want it & do not need it,,,, worked for me,,,,, my wife
    actually bought the pistol in my avatar as a birthday present. Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife usually says "just buy the gun, stop drooling on the counter"...works every time.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Here is a question for you. Do you compete in shooting sports? Because to be fully engaged in your hobby, you "need" to have all three of the weapons necessary to shoot 3-gun matches. That makes it more than just another thing she doesn't approve of sitting in her closet, but a tool that you use in your hobby. Plus, the skills learned there will benefit you in defensive scenarios also.

When it has a specific purpose (competition), it makes it personal and there is a reason for it, not just the evil aura of darkness. Also, for home defense, it is a lot easier to mount "safety" equipment on the AR (light, laser, etc.) to ensure you are equiped to the best extent possible to prevent any potential problems.
    Walk softly ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links