Am I being Unreasonable

This is a discussion on Am I being Unreasonable within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, back story, I have 3 firearms. 22 lr rifle, 30/30 Marlin and a XD 9 service pistol. 22 lr for plinking and SHTF. Marlin ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Am I being Unreasonable

Am I being Unreasonable

OK, back story, I have 3 firearms. 22 lr rifle, 30/30 Marlin and a XD 9 service pistol. 22 lr for plinking and SHTF. Marlin 30/30 for hunting and SHTF, 9mm XD for EDC, home protection and SHTF. Been think lately of getting the "evel black gun" AR. Been looking around and reading advice here on this forum for a entry level AR platform. Nothing fancy, just a solid reliable AR. Now, I am not looking for advice on which AR to buy. I will do that later. I need to come up with a good argument for my wife to justify the purchase. She is very anti and says I have enough guns. Before you go and "man up" on me, we have been happily married for 17 yrs. I am the "bread winner" and she is a stay at home mom, but she is the CFO of the household. I am everything else. That was the deal when we got married. She has been supportive of my wants in the past, but I don't know if purchasing an AR will fly with her. We have a senior in HS and I have to think about her college and a 13 yr old in jr high needing her things as well. Just the daily finances of providing for my family is stressfull enough.

I have breeched the discussion about purchasing a new gun, but she has laughed it off. I have mentioned getting a AR so I can protect the family better in all situations, but she came back and said "I've seen you shoot before with your other guns, we don't need another gun for protection. You hit everything that you aim at." I will try the SHTF scenario, the family protection scenario, the training of my kids to shoot scenario etc.., but the real fact is that I just want one. Looking for advice on how to justify the purchase, or am I being spoiled and should just be happy with what I have.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

2. Remove Ads

It is much easier to shoot than the 30/30 and has more "potential" than the 22 if she needs to be shooting. Additionally from my state record, I would say, they are bound to make them illegal soon we can always sell it for more than we bought it for after demand skyrockets!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Tough call and is there really a "right" answer..... I guess you could try a young child tactic on her...... Keep bugging and bugging her until you wear her down and she gives in due to not wanting to hear it anymore....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

If you WANT one, then buy it, but I'd be satisfied with the 30-30.
    I sold my AR to buy a 30-30 and a lever action .22mag rifle...works for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Why not try the simple, honest approach and tell her that you don't need the gun; you just want the gun! Do you give each other birthday presents? Ask her what she wants for her birthday and you tell her what you want for yours?

Can you truly justify the expense of the AR? Can you afford it? Do you need or want all of your other guns? Maybe try a trade or selling one of them if you truly want the AR.

If all of the above doesn't work, write down that you want to own an AR. You may find out that just having the item on a wish list helps, and you don't actually have to buy one.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    I look at this like any other want vs need. There's nothing wrong with wanting something that you don't really need. What would be wrong is if you bought that without regard to your financial situation and the negative impact it would have.

It sounds like you have a good marriage but you have kids, house etc that have to come first.

If you can save up for it a little each month without it impacting your other "obligations" then I can't imagine that your wife would be against that. Just like she might save up for something she really wants even though you have absolutely no interest in it.

As I said, nothing wrong with that!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Laugh her off when she says she needs new shoes to go with the other 100 pairs she already has. Or for the 100 blouses hanging in the closet.

My wife is also CFO in my house, but I rarely ask permission to buy something. I might ask how the funds are, and if she asks why. I tell her what I want. Her expenses far outweight mine.

Either way, the kids come first in my book, and if I had to wait, I'd wait. An AR is not a must-have.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    She handles finances, you handle everything else. Mr. Head of Security and Family Protection, you need a semi-auto performance rifle to better fulfill your duties.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Four people in your home. One person doing the shooting? Who covers on the reload, or your back?

An AR offers suppresive fire capablity. It has relatively little recoil, and with an adjustable stock fits everyone in your home.

Doubt Mom wants the kiddes hurt.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northface View Post
    Four people in your home. One person doing the shooting? Who covers on the reload, or your back?

An AR offers suppresive fire capablity. It has relatively little recoil, and with an adjustable stock fits everyone in your home.

Doubt Mom wants the kiddes hurt.
    Ohhhhh...emotional blackmail is SO not nice.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Clarification, it is not about the money. We have enough for all and them some. Believe me, my wife and kids get everything they need and most things they want. It is more about getting her to accept the purchase of another gun and an "evil black gun" to boot.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Senior Moderator
    I say be very honest with her. Tell her you want this gun (and don't necessarily need it) but would appreciate the support. You could be willing to compromise by saving up for a few months if she would like and ask her to be honest about her reservations and any ways she would be willing to compromise in order for you to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Ohhhhh...emotional blackmail is SO not nice.
    You learn "stuff" when you have been married to the same woman for 36 years and raised 3 boys together.
    multistage likes this.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

I must be in the minority when it comes to topics such as this. My wife allows me the freedom and opportunity to buy what I want without asking her. With all due respect we will have a discussion about it, but the choice is up to me. I have indulged her in the past with watches and purses which helps when I buy something I want. You could try this approach with her, see if you can find out what she has been wanting lately and buy it for her.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    Which do you value more, peace in your household or ownership of an AR?

I'm married almost 40 years. I really doubt that in all of that time I have
    ever purchased something or done something which I knew Mrs. H strongly
    objected to. She wasn't always right, or smart in her view, but I like my meals
    cooked, served without rat poison garnish, and on time. A man's gotta figure out what is
    really important in his life.

Not getting an AR is a small price to pay for family harmony. See Retsupt's post #4.
    GeorgiaDawg and BurgerBoy like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links