Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy

This is a discussion on Hurricane Sandy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was planning on taking a trip from my home in NYS to Boston for four days for a radiation therapy conference. I just cancelled my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy

Was planning on taking a trip from my home in NYS to Boston for four days for a radiation therapy conference. I just cancelled my hotel reservations, as i am worried about flooding at my house here in NYS. Binghamton had a "500" year flood last year, and i am not ready for another one. I did not flood myself last time, but water cascades down the mountain i live on, and i had to dig many trenches to divert water away from the house. When i was fininshed digging, you could have rafted down the mountain. I dont want to be in Boston worrying about if my basement is flooding.

Governor Cuomo has allready declared a state of emergency. Time to go to the store and stock up on some non perishables, and bottled water. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesnt get as bad as they think. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    I'm in the eastern panhandle of WV and we're supposed to get slammed too.

I sure hope you don't get water in your basement! Good luck with the storm, maybe it won't be as bad as they are saying.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Best wishes to all of you in the path.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Good luck with Sandy. It hasn't bee too bad here. We are on the weaker side of the storm. It has been rather windy, 50+mph gusts, but not a lot of rain.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Lots of gusty wind and passing showers here in S.FL. But we ducked and Sandy missed. Good Luck! After having 3 hurricanes run over my house in 2004, I'm not looking for another any time soon!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good luck and be safe...

Hunker down and ride her out.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    North Carolina is gonna get bumped but we get that a lot. The media is an informative pain in the backside. Things happen. Everyone prep as they see fit and pack in something to sip. These can be good days too.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Re: Hurrican Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I'm in the eastern panhandle of WV and we're supposed to get slammed too.

I sure hope you don't get water in your basement! Good luck with the storm, maybe it won't be as bad as they are saying.
    That's where I am now as well. Lots of strong gusts here.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

We lost power for days last year with the random October snowstorm, and other places for almost a month. I really don't want to go through that again, and I don't have any bullets stockpiled!

Went to Wally world with my girlfriend tonight, as she does not like big crowds. Stocked up on more water, soups.... makes me realize how unprepared i am. Going bow hunting this weekend... maybe they will be moving with big storm moving in. thanks for the well wishes, we will do just fine
    CaveJohnson likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Good luck, stay safe.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'm in Quantico and were getting ready here also. I'm already stocked but its amazing how busy the stores get. Bahhhh
    Semper Fi

I'm no weather expert but I have checked NOAA's radar and satellite maps of the Eastern seaboard. It looks very much like the front moving through Ohio now will meet Sandra sometime this weekend East of the Appalachians. There may be a few nasty storms along this line but it really does not look like a disaster in the making like some hurricanes of the past. Not to say that everyone in the area need not to be careful but it appears to be more media hype than accurate reporting again.
    As they used to say "whatever blows your hair back". :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Pay attention to this one if you live on the East Coast. They are predicting storms coming down from the North/West and colliding with Sandy.....hence the term Frankenstorm.
    Having been through the 2004 Hurricanes that all came right across Orlando (Charley, Francis, Jeanne), don't just blow it off as media hype. If it hits, and you are unprepared
    you will be in a world of hurt. Stock up on canned goods, peanut butter, crackers, and anything that does not need refrigeration or the microwave in case you lose power. Have a couple
    of good flashlights and lanterns on hand, stock up on pet food and all medicine that you might need. Fill your cars up with gasoline NOW. If it hits, gasoline lines will be long and most stations will
    run out of gas. Keep your firearms loaded and ready. If the power goes out, the creepy crawlies come out.

this is what happened to me because all the people that had lived in Orlando a while said, "Hurricanes never hit Orlando". Famous words to ignore.

....I had no power for 17 days after Charley
    ....had no canned food in the house and all restaurants in the area sustained damage and were not open.
    ....did not own a flashlight or have a candle in the house.
    ....stumbled around in the dark at night for 17 days
    ....drove 50 miles to Melbourne over on the east coast just to get gas so I could get to work
    ....waited in line for gas over two hours the week after the storm after things got back to a semblance of "normal".

Take it serious, and prepare. If it decides to fall apart or go out to sea, all the better.....if it hits....like they say its gonna hit, you had better lock and load now.
    QKShooter and darbo like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links