"Cheap" 1911?

"Cheap" 1911?

This is a discussion on "Cheap" 1911? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'd like to get a 1911 (I've always been a Glock guy - yeah, yeah... flame away!) but I don't have an extra $2K ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Cheap" 1911?

"Cheap" 1911?

So I'd like to get a 1911 (I've always been a Glock guy - yeah, yeah... flame away!) but I don't have an extra $2K to drop on a Les Baer. At the same time I don't want a junker. Any advice as to what brand to look to for a decent, out-of-the-box 1911 for under $1K, preferably well under?

Instinct tells me that the "you get what you pay for" saying will once again hold true, but maybe...

Dave.

P.S. I'm still a Glock guy!

EAA Witness Compact in .45 ACP approximately $400.
    I've heard and read some good things about this piece - I handled one while shopping but didn't buy it at the time because it's a little heavy for my taste.
    There are plenty of .45's that are well under $1k

I own a Rock Island .45 ... $365 or so new, sometimes less new.

I recently shot ~100 rounds through the new Taurus PT 1911 and LOVED it. $500 and it has most of the bells and whistles I'd put on my Rock if I had ti to do over.

The Taurus has gotten some good reviews recently and shot well for me with no malfunctions.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/pt_080505/

http://michaelbane.blogspot.com/2006...report-up.html

Kimber.
    There's at least one model for about $800 or so, the Custom2.
    I actually have that as one of my 1911's and it had some problems that Kimber did take care of, it is now better than new and flawless.

Between the quality of the gun and the prompt, courteous service I do suggest them.

Another option as already mentioned is the RIA, I've seen them around for as low as $275. I've heard good things about themn though they do require some attention I've been told.
    I actually do want one of these myself to try out.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    personaly i would go with a kimber or one of the base level springers , then add the " mudflaps " as needed depending on your personal needs .. i would not go with a price line as a selection issue , nor would i just buy the " high ticket " out there with " all the bells and whistles " after all imho the 1911 and the ar15 platforms are effective , but they are also " barbie toys for big boys " you can put as much or as little on them as you choose , and sometimes less is more . so get a base gun , and allways ask yourself " What does this mod do to make me a better shooter , and what will it do to my survibability " start with any quality base pistol , and build what you need .. not what is a fad today .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I agree with Redneck Repairs. That is the right line of thinking right there. I have two Springfield 1911's that range from a little more than a GI to one that has more do-hickies than a new car.

Both shoot great, but one is a safe queen/range gun/BBQ gun, the other is my daily carry. Isn't hard to figure out which one is which.

As far as the pricing, both of my 1911's cost me well under retail as I bought them used. If the new prices tend to scare you away as they do me at times, check your local pawn shops. You may have to weed through the junk, but sometimes you can find a jem. That's what I did. Of course it helps that I work in one, but all of my purchases have been pawn shop "specials". I have found that unless it is a unique or rare piece, the auction sites tend to be a little inflated.
    Last edited by purple88yj; October 3rd, 2006 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Forgot pricing...

Colt or a Springfield armory ..

I have also had luck with RIA but some people havn't

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Problem is......if you want to or will add 3-4 or more of the goodies to the base model 1911's(sights,beaver tail,ambi safety,checkering,etc.) sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to simply buy one already built the way you "really"wanted it in the first place.

Although like ordering a car......you might have to take something that you don't really care about in order to get the thing that you do.

Lots of checking around is in order.
    But what could be more fun. ----------

I have a Rock Island, and just put a couple of hundered rounds through it the other day. I had a mixture of every type of ammo that you could think of, from ball - to frangibles - to 5 or six different makes of HP. I just randomly stuffed mixtures into the mag and didn't have a single problem. It was already broken in by my Brother in law with about 400 rnds before I got it. `I Traded a shotgun for it.

If I had to get one now however, I would go for the Taurus. It has the extras I want and only costs a little more. Too bad I got the Rock about 3 weeks before the Taurus came out. Bad timing I guess.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I was asking the same questions last month and decided on the Springfield GI
    money was very tight and I figured I could add what I wanted to later on... this thing shoots so nice that I probably will do only some cosmetic upgrades and leave the internals alone.

I Like My Kimber's...

they have been flawless out of the box...the CDP II's...are a custom gun...nightsights...good enough for me...each around a 'grand'.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I was asking the same questions last month and decided on the Springfield GI
    money was very tight and I figured I could add what I wanted to later on... this thing shoots so nice that I probably will do only some cosmetic upgrades and leave the internals alone.
    good on ya ... imho all that needs is better sights , and depending on your handsize / grip .... different safetys ... be well
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    If you know somebody in your area that really knows how to do a through visual check & function check a used pistol then I would take that person to the gun shop with you and shop around for a good pre~owned Colt Combat Commander.

VIP Member
    Like Kruz I bought a Springfield GI-45 last month. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14417

The sights are the only real deficiency in this pistol, but I intend to leave them like they are. This pistol is going to remain a GI-45. I will probably buy another with some of the bells and whistles. For under $500 out the door (including a Wilson Combat mag) I think the Springer is a great pistol.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

RedneckRepairs,

This is exactly my thinking, I really am after a base gun. I'm not a competition shooter, I just like to shoot. My biggest concern is buying something that turns out to be junk when I might have been able to avoid it altogether. I have come to learn that because of it's popularity, nearly every Joe with a machine shop in a variety of countries is turning out some 1911 version or another. OK maybe its not that bad, but it seems like it sometimes.

All the other comments are well received. Thanks for all the help. Truly in the form of this great forum. I came over from the "other site" and won't be going back. I am really impressed with the comraderie here.

Dave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links