.223 Pistol

This is a discussion on .223 Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What does everyone think about the kel-tec plr-16. Price is reasonable. Fun range gun with a big boom The PLR-16 is a gas operated, semi-automatic ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 Pistol

.223 Pistol

What does everyone think about the kel-tec plr-16. Price is reasonable. Fun range gun with a big boom

The PLR-16 is a gas operated, semi-automatic pistol chambered in 5.56 mm NATO caliber. It was designed as and is intended as a long-range target and hunting pistol.
    The PLR-16 has a conventional gas piston operation and utilizes the proven M-16 breech locking system. The rear sight is adjustable for windage. The front sight is of M-16 type. An integrated MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail will accept a multitude of standard accessories. The muzzle end of the barrel is threaded 1/2” -28 to accept standard attachments such as a muzzle brake. Except for the barrel, bolt, sights, and mechanism, the PLR-16 pistol is made entirely of high-impact glass fiber reinforced polymer.
    The PLR-16 pistol comes blued, with one 10 round magazine (fully AR15/M16 magazine compatible), and includes a gun lock.

Technical Specifications
    Caliber: .223 rem 5.56mm NATO
    Weight unloaded (no magazine): 51 oz 1450 g
    Length: 18.5" 470 mm
    Barrel length: 9.2" 234 mm
    Sight radius: 12.5" 318 mm
    Muzzle velocity (M193) 2600 fps 800 m/s
    Magazine capacity: 10 rounds, or M-16 compatible
    Safety Ambidextrous pushbolt

Optional accessories will include:
    Under-picatinny forend, scope rings, dynamic deflecting operating handle, single point sling, and a muzzle brake specifically design for the 9.2" barrel of the PLR-16.
    Accessories shown above are not included.

Photo & Specs added by QKShooter

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    well i have to admit i want one , that being said i wont be ordering a sholder holster for it either lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    And the application would be...................(other than havin' fun) ?? -------

JD
    Administrator
    Honestly, I'd rather have another AR in any stocked configuration.

A pistol in a rifle caliber is still a pistol, fun at the range...maybe.
    But for hunting? A 30 Rd. mag is usually not allowed, and personally unless your hunting some scrawny game I'd want more than a .223.

Assistant Administrator
    I know of one guy who has one, and added some extra's, including I believe what was maybe a KT mod' too. He loves it and it runs well.

I'd like one but - for now have to enjoy .223 handgun shooting single shot - thru my Contender - real tack driver!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Fired one recently

One of the guys I work with at the gunshop just bought one. We tested it in wet newspaper with American Eagle JHP, 55gr ball, and M855 green tip. Flash and boom, tremendous, even with flash hider installed. Fun factor, extreme. Ballistic performance....Well. The JHP expanded evenly, both the ball rounds tumbled but stayed together. The 55gr spit a bit of lead out of the base. The same rounds out of a 16" AR we compared it with fragmented to unidentifiable pieces. Not sure, but don't think so, that M855 is "armor piercing" as defined in FL law. Still a little close for comfort. Great gun, high quality, fun to shoot. Probably better ballistic performance than smaller pistols, especially if you faced armored opponants. Not exactly sure if it has a defense application, although he wants to find a way to carry it Oh to be young and foolish again.

I handled one a coulple of weeks ago at a loclal gun shop. It seemed to be a very well put together weapon other than the 10 round polymer magazine that comes with it. It felt a little cheesy, but whose going to use that mag anyway. 30 round AR mags are a must for that gun. I too feel like I need one and barely fought off the urge to buy it. He was asking $435 for it which seemed reasonable compared to the 600 and something Kel tec list it for.

I can't see any practical use for it, but it looks cool and looks like a lot of fun to shoot.

Well I want one. I think they would be very practical to carry in a backpack for a backup gun during hikes in the mountains . or a primary while hiking with it slung across the sholder. for myself while in the mountains my primary gun is a 30-30 rifle. It never hurts to have extra guns just in case Murphy shows up. I also think it would be easy to carry in the large pockets in my various vest.

I've handled them at the gun show, and agree they appear to be pretty well made. Would definitely be fun to play around with.

For practical use, though, it seems to me to be an answer without a question. It's really too unwieldy to use as a pistol, and without the stability of a stocked carbine. I suppose it's a way to get an SBR without the fee, but without the ability to put a shoulder stock on it, you lose some of the rationale for the "long range" capability. I prefer my compact AR.

Far be it from me, however, to gainsay those who do have a good use for it. You can just never have too many guns, and, to borrow a phrase from Kinky Friedman, "Why the hell not?"
    Last edited by rodc13; October 4th, 2006 at 12:22 PM.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I have a Bushmaster Carbon 15. Have handled and shot the kel-tec - and am still glad I spent the extra $$$.

They're both toys - in small spaces, I'll stick with my Hk-51 clone SBR ;0
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    "It was designed as and is intended as a long-range target and hunting pistol".HUH ??

IIRC the above is taken from their own advertisment,as added by QKshooter. Lookin' at the weapon/scope setup I'd say that their"long range" would amount to 50 yds.

If you want a "fun gun" go for it. Otherwise stick to a weapon/caliber/scope setup similar to the one that P95 has posted in post #5.

Take a close look at the pic of the KT. How ya gonna hold it/rest it for a shot ?? How accurate is it gonna be with the strap wrapped around your shoulder and held with outstretched arms ??

My T/C had the same grip/forearm as P95's and the forward mounting screw was replaced with a standard 1/4" sling swivel stud. With a Harris bipod installed and shooting my handloads from the prone position or from a bench,my weapon was a 1/2 to 2/3 MOA shooter out to 175(or so) yds., and 1MOA out to 275yds.

If you want a weapon to take to the range,that everybody will ooohhhh and ahhhh at,when shot at dusk........well the KT is for you. --------

Same family as the HK Sp-89. The sling will offer decent stability, if you thrust it out firmly. Sighting would be best done with a reflex, of some sort. It could easily be carried in the Eagle SP/MP5k shoulder rig, if you can find one. Not a bad little "crisis" weapon, especially if you're already in .223.

The latest issue of Small Arms Review has an article that says the ATF is re-evaluating the addition of a front grip for some pistols (ie. is it still a pistol, or AOW?) haven't had time to read it yet, but if the policy is being liberalized, it could make things like this more attractive.

Administrator

Personally I would relegate this firearm into "Cool Factor Fun Gun" status & maybe more useful with a holographic sight for defending the ol' cabin in the woods.
    One nice feature is that extra magazines can be had for an extremely cheap price.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I love mine! I've put close to a thousand rounds through it and of all my firearms this one gives the most grins per round.

I've found it to be more accurate than one might think, shooting open sights and have had no problems with feeding/ejecting shooting Lake City ammo. I have a reflex sight that will go on as soon as I have more time.

I didn't buy it for hunting or home defense...I purchased mine because I thought it was cool...for a change I was correct.

J

I wish they would come out with a carbine model (su16) and pistol (plr16) in 308 caliber. In Washington it is illeagal to hunt large game with a caliber less then .25. A small foldable carbine or lightweight semiauto pistol in a rifle caliber such as 308 would be great for long camping/hunting trips. Also one would feel more at ease while fishing in Bear country with a semiauto in a rifle caliber that is light and easy to carry and not get in the way of the fishing gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links