Why do I keep shooting to the right of my POA?

This is a discussion on Why do I keep shooting to the right of my POA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obviously a weak grip and poor hand strength is not your particular problem. It sure is with lots of folks though....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do I keep shooting to the right of my POA?

Administrator
    Obviously a weak grip and poor hand strength is not your particular problem.
    It sure is with lots of folks though.

2. Remove Ads

I've seen Bryan shoot and I'm not an expert or anything, but he didn't seem to be doing anything weird formwise to me. He was keeping pretty good groups, just all to the right. I believe his joke of if two guys attack me, the one on the right is gonna get it fits pretty well here.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    LOL! Yup, the one to my right wouldn't have a snowballs chance. Unfortunately that leaves the guy on the left.

I will try the sandbag thing this weekend, and try to make time for that eye exam later this month.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Obviously a weak grip and poor hand strength is not your particular problem.
    It sure is with lots of folks though.
    So I take it those numbers are in the ballpark then?

I am not an instructor, nor am I a doctor, but the problem sounds like it is a visual thing. The sights may be off, or vision is stronger in one eye than the other.

I am LH/LE, and if I try to shoot L(R)H/RE, I tend to shoot right. I have found that if I am using my less dominant side that if I cant the pistol slightly to the side that I must favor (If I am shooting LH/RE, I lean the pistol to the right. Opposite if I am shooting RH/LE) my accuracy improves. I wouldn't try going into competitive target shooting doing this, but defensively, it seems to be the ideal.
    YMMV.

I am an instructor for bullseye. Perhaps you might try using the pad of your trigger finger rather than the joint as a point of contact with the trigger. This would tend to straighten out your trigger finger for a more direct straight back pull. Something else I might suggest is to get some "dummy" ammunition. That is some inert rounds. Have someone load your magazines for you including one or more "dummys" (very randomly) When the hammer drops on a dummy, you will clearly see your trigger pull, jerk, yank etc.
    I presuppose that you are willing to observe what happens when the hammer falls. I am reasonably certain that using the dummy rounds will show you quickly what is happening when you are pulling the trigger.

Happy days to all,
    Roger

Administrator
    Sorry for the delayed reply. Yep, your grip strength is fine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Have you tried "dry firing" like Velocette suggested

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
    I have always been a decent shot with just about any rifle I have picked up. Not a crack shot mind you, but I can hold my own.

Why is it that when I go to the range with a handgun, I have to aim 3-6" left of my intended target at 21' to hit where I am aiming? This seems to be the case no matter what firearm I use, or how I hold/aim it.

I have tried shooting left handed, right handed, and with both hands. I used both eyes, right primary, left as primary, and closed the other eye as well.

What am I doing wrong?

Am I crosseyed enough to see around corners, or what?
    You may have too much finger on the trigger and when you pull, you push/pull the muzzle rt. Make sure you only have no more than the center of the pad of the first joint on the trigger. Dry fire or use snap caps and have someone watch the muzzle.

I would first try a seated position from the bench and using sandbags to keep the hold steady, and aiming from there. That's to isolate if it's in fact a visual problem, if the hold, grip and to a certain extent, trigger pull, can be taken off of the equation for a moment. If you shoot okay this way, then you can go back and try to isolate some of the other fundamentals.

To summarize other suggestions, I like the following:

1. Laser point of aim suggestion. To isolate again if it's a visual/sight alignment fundamental problem.

2. Trying random insertions of dummies and observing the behavior at point of trigger-pull. You have the chance to isolate grip/hold and trigger pull.

Once you identify the source of the problem, you can work on a solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links