Your Opinion?

This is a discussion on Your Opinion? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for an accurate .22 handgun. i have narrowed it down to the rugers. Ok so i went back to the gun shop ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Your Opinion?

Your Opinion?

I am looking for an accurate .22 handgun. i have narrowed it down to the rugers. Ok so i went back to the gun shop and he has a 22/45, ruger target mark iii stainless steel, and a mark ii. the mark ii is used but in good shape. Which would you choose? Am i looking at the wrong guns? Is there a .22 plinker that is better?
    Thanks again
    Jabraun98

2. Remove Ads

Mark II, one of the best. Mark III isn't chopped liver, though.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabraun98 View Post
    I am looking for an accurate .22 handgun. i have narrowed it down to the rugers. Ok so i went back to the gun shop and he has a 22/45, ruger target mark iii stainless steel, and a mark ii. the mark ii is used but in good shape. Which would you choose? Am i looking at the wrong guns? Is there a .22 plinker that is better?
    Thanks again
    Jabraun98
    I have both the target in stainless and a standard MK III. To me, the standard has a better balance and is just as accurate as my target (by my eyeballs). What will you be using it for? Carrying around on a farm, or a range toy? The Target is a bit heavy to carry all day. But if it's a range toy, it won't matter.

Hold them and see which one feels better. You may like the 22/45 grip angle the best, who knows. But as the other poster noted, they are all great little guns.

Cant go wrong with either there Rugers. I have the 22/45 MK II and its a great gun.

VIP Member
    I have a Mark II bull barrel that I have had for many years. No regrets with it. If you take care of it it will out live you.
    pir8fan likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a mk I & mk 2. They are both outstanding and highly accurate. The mk 2 has the bull barrel and fully adjustable sights. 4 inch groups at 20 yards (60 ft) are no problem.

You won't go wrong with either Ruger but I would prefer the Mark III for the 1911 style mag release.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Your Opinion?

love the 22/45 and also the mark 2's and 3's but I prefer the Browning Buckmark. pretty much a wash though. both are great.

Browning BuckMark

I have been shooting a Browning BuckMark Target for 3 years. Excellent target pistol, very stable platform, good sights, reliable action, 2-3" groupings at 15yards. My 11 year old grandson dances tin cans from 7 yards out to 15 yards.

I too prefer the Buckmark. However, either one of the Rugers will serve you well, if that is what you want. Between the two Rugers I would go with the 22/45, because I like its grip angle much better.

I have one of the Mark III, 22/45's...... They are nice pistols and very accurate. But....I need to tell you that they are a pain in the ass to field strip for cleaning. No one else mentioned that and I thought you should know before buying one.

Senior Moderator
    I have a MKII stainless with a 10" bull barrel and it is way more accurate than I am
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have a Mk II with the bull barrel and a 22/45 (Mk II) with the same. The latter has a Volquartsen trigger kit and it's a very accurate, very fun gun.

My recommendation is to get the Mk II rather than the Mk III. The Mk III has a magazine disconnect and a loaded chamber indicator, neither of which adds anything useful to the gun. The Mk III isn't bad, but the Mk II was the high point of the breed, with a 10-round mag, deeper "scallop" cuts on the bolt, and an improved safety that locked the sear but not the bolt (so you could inspect the chamber with the safety engaged) as improvements over the earlier models (the Standard and the Mk I). The Ruger "Marks" are rugged and simple guns that are tough to wear out, so buying a used one isn't a really big gamble.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links