Is 12 gauge ammunition usually cheap?

This is a discussion on Is 12 gauge ammunition usually cheap? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've seen prices vary widely on websites, and with my possible purchase of a shotgun this weekend I'm curious. Dick's Sporting goods has small game/target ...

Thread: Is 12 gauge ammunition usually cheap?

Is 12 gauge ammunition usually cheap?

I've seen prices vary widely on websites, and with my possible purchase of a shotgun this weekend I'm curious.

Dick's Sporting goods has small game/target loads (all I need) for 6-8 per box of $25, so that's on par with my .38 special ammo.

Do you find it much cheaper in Wal Mart or other places?

2. Remove Ads

Depends on what you're buying. If you're buying straight-up #00 buck then it's pretty cheap stuff. If you're buying the newest, greatest whizbang flechette rounds then it's gonna be a little pricier.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Depends on what you're buying. If you're buying straight-up #00 buck then it's pretty cheap stuff. If you're buying the newest, greatest whizbang flechette rounds then it's gonna be a little pricier.
    It'll be basic stuff for shooting at targets really, maybe the occasional slugs but that's it. I see that some are 10 bucks for 5 almost, but the ones I'd probably use seem to be about 6-8 for 25 rounds.

Yeah that sounds about right for target stuff. Shotgun ammo is cheap as dirt. It's handgun and rifle that's expensive.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Walmarts target loads 100 round brick $23.97. Be careful at Dicks some of their target loads are packed in 20 round boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by RJHOLLA View Post
    Walmarts target loads 100 round brick $23.97. Be careful at Dicks some of their target loads are packed in 20 round boxes.
    Cool, that's a good deal. I'll have to see if my local Wal Mart has that. Some do have ammo and some don't, and some don't have all the brands others do.

On the average I've always found WW to be the most reasonable place to get ammo. If they stock it. YMWV though

I get mine at Walmart.

Four of us shooting Cowboy matches will go through at least 100 12 gauge shells each match. We shoot 2 matches each month so I get whatever Academy or Walmart has on sale for less than $5 for a box of 25. I get a case at a time. They are clay/skeet/target shells, #7 1/2 or #8 and they consistently knock down the steel targets we use.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Links