Long Colt

This is a discussion on Long Colt within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can't explain why, but recently every time I'm at my local gun shop, I've been eye sexing the Freedom Arms '97. Now, I've never shot ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Geezer
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 3 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By MLittle

Thread: Long Colt

Long Colt

Can't explain why, but recently every time I'm at my local gun shop, I've been eye sexing the Freedom Arms '97.
    Now, I've never shot a 45LC and have no clue what they are like at the range or in my hands, but dang if that FA isn't purdy.
    Is it worth it? Or, should I be looking at a more entry level SA 45LC??

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Can't explain why, but recently every time I'm at my local gun shop, I've been eye sexing the Freedom Arms '97.
    Now, I've never shot a 45LC and have no clue what they are like at the range or in my hands, but dang if that FA isn't purdy.
    Is it worth it? Or, should I be looking at a more entry level SA 45LC??
    I'll venture a guess that you'll LOVE a 45Colt. At my older age, I'm noise and recoil sensitive. I can shoot mine all day long with no ill effects. I love mine, but the hogs hate it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

If I were buying a high-grade SA today, it absolutely WOULD BE a Freedom Arms .45 Colt. If you've got the ways & means, that pistol is worth every penny.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I handled (not shot) a Freedom Arms .454... that thing had an action like the lock on a bank vault. Nary a micron of looseness or wasted motion.

But just to get you thinking of alternatives, you might consider a nice SA by these folks back east... U.S. FireArms - Old West Guns and Cowboy Action Shooting Rifles
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Then there is the original article, best experienced in .45 Colt caliber. Balance and handling in that caliber is so fine, especially with the 4 3/4-inch barrel. Nothing else quite like it.
    Colt Single Action Army®

Regarding the "Long" in the caliber designation. Was never a proper caliber designation though many folks call it the .45 "Long" Colt. Colt produced the .32 Long Colt cartridge and the .38 Long Colt cartridge but the offering in .45 caliber was simply termed the .45 Colt. Some people get their knickers in a twist over the faux pas of referring to the cartridge as the .45 Long Colt but it's been ingrained in cartridge terminology for a long time, right or wrong. There was once a .45 Smith & Wesson cartridge, also termed the .45 Schofield, which was indeed a shorter round. Several different .45 British cartridges were once supplied by American cartridge manufactures and these were short indeed. It's possible that the early ammunition customer who needed to supply his .45 Colt Single Action revolver needed to provide an additional descriptive term to insure that he obtained the proper cartridge for his revolver so the so the .45 "Long" Colt moniker was born out of necessity and has stuck ever since.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Most factory 45 colt loads are pretty tame, and I have found the recoil (in my Vaquero) to be similar to a 38 special from a full size revolver, so very tame. It is a fun round (in factory form) to shoot. And from there depending upon the strength of your firearm, you can load it up to be near magnum power. Very versatile fun round.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

You can load 45 Colt to a very potent level, but I don't. I reload my own and use 8gr Unique powder under a 250gr bullet. I have two revolvers in this caliber, a Ruger Vaquero in stainless and a blue Colt Single Action Army with 4 3/4in barrel. They are a lot of fun to shoot, but you probably need to reload this caliber if you're going to shoot it since the rounds ARE quite expensive.....around $37 per box of 50. If I were going to recommend a first 45 Colt handgun for a new shooter of this caliber, I'd have to say go with the Original.... The Colt. You can order them from most any retail gun store and expect a 4-6month wait. I did see one at my local Cabela's, but it went fast.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Yea MLittle!

There's something to be said for your load which I also use in my .45 Colt revolver. Realistically, there isn't all that much that can be reasonably asked of a revolver that can't be accomplished with a 250 grain .45 caliber bullet at 850 fps. Good cartridge, the .45 Colt in its original ballistic guise.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

They are nice, but I would rather a few Blackhawks than on Freedom Arms.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I second the Ruger, built to take full loads. My .41 Mag Blackhawk was the best handgun I ever owned for general shooting--potent, accurate.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

.45 Colt is a great round, all kinds of revolvers out there that take the cartridge and if you get into SASS (cowboy shooting) there are also several rifles that are chambered for it as well.

Links