Gun Buyback Goes Sideways

This is a discussion on Gun Buyback Goes Sideways within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't read the Cleveland Plain Dealer, long a bastion for anti-gun rhetoric, so I didn't see this one until now: Police gun buyback draws ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gun Buyback Goes Sideways

VIP Member

I don't read the Cleveland Plain Dealer, long a bastion for anti-gun rhetoric, so I didn't see this one until now:
    Police gun buyback draws people offering cash for the weapons | cleveland.com
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Seems legit to me. If the cops want to give them table-scraps for their guns, why can't a citizen offer them something a little juicier and everyone wins? The seller gets a little cash, the buyer gets a cheap gun.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

"Isn't that something?," said Police Chief Michael McGrath who was at the gun buyback, outside Public Safety Central at East 21st Street and Payne Avenue. "Here we're trying to save lives and they're right in our face, trying to buy guns cheap so they can sell them at a profit."
    Nice...

A slap in the face to the Second Amendment and the free-market economy in one statement...

Good job Chief!

bigmacque, kapnketel and msgt/ret like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well duh! A gun show with no admission and lots of people there to sell. What did they expect?

They had a copy of the revised Ohio law permitting them to buy, That's planning ahead.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good guys, Nope and No. Doing the right thing...

And even if they're not doing the right thing, maybe the police won't be getting into the gun business again any time soon.

For all we know, criminals could very easily do exactly the same thing that Nope and No did... and keep the guns on the street. Because Nope and No didn't have to provide a vendors license, or ID or anything.... they could have just as easily been criminals buying guns, and the whole enterprise was set up for them by police.

Irony is a beautiful thing.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Another example of the left's true agenda revealed. Using the excuse of "ending violence" they really want to end gun ownership. Period. If they did not want to do that they would not object to legitimate law abiding citizens purchasing the firearms.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    You would think that the cops would try consigning them with a LGS instead of melting them down. Turn a profit for the dept in this tough economic climate.

Oh wait, that might actually make sense. Never mind, I forgot we're talking about a Govt agency. My bad.
    kapnketel, wingryder and msgt/ret like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I've always wanted to do that, but no one in my area is dumb enough to try a gun buy back.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Another example of the left's true agenda revealed. Using the excuse of "ending violence" they really want to end gun ownership. Period. If they did not want to do that they would not object to legitimate law abiding citizens purchasing the firearms.
    I haven't met many left wing cops or chiefs, have you? In fact they tend to be overwhelmingly conservative, but still love unions.
    dbglock likes this.

"Nope" and "No"... made me laugh. I appreciate a little humor with my 'news'.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I haven't met many left wing cops or chiefs, have you? In fact they tend to be overwhelmingly conservative, but still love unions.
    I agree and find it odd that the forum members aren't more supportive of local LE, even when it's something like a buyback that they don't agree with. I just see it as LEO's trying to do something for their community, effective or not.
    CaveJohnson likes this.

I don't cheat on my wife, on my taxes, or on my golf score. But I do avail myself every legal opportunity to; enjoy a great set of legs walking by, take business-related tax deductions, or beat my golfing buddies by knowing the rules (and having a Rule Book in my golf bag). The folks buying those firearms prior to the planned cut/melt just recognized a legal opportunity & took the initiative. I've known a number of LEOs who've bought fine guns for cheap at the Evidence Room auction. And Sheriffs who became wealthy buying/selling foreclosed (tax lien) properties at the Courthouse door. Anyone COULD have showed up to buy. They just DID show up to buy. What's the fuss?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

A fine piece of yellow journalism if I ever did read one. Good on the guys that were out there buying guns and standing their ground against the police though.
    Molon Labe

Man if that isn't a slant I do not know what is. Awesome that the actually guys were on the comment boards to dispel the lies that the author promoted. Heaven forbid you do something legal...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    I agree and find it odd that the forum members aren't more supportive of local LE, even when it's something like a buyback that they don't agree with. I just see it as LEO's trying to do something for their community, effective or not.
    Why should anyone support ignorance - regardless of the uniform worn? The buybacks are ineffective, rip off honest citizens (PC admits individuals offering higher prices are still buying the guns cheap), wastes police resources, wastes police budget allocations, and instills a false sense of security in ignorant citizens.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links