Ruger LCP Reliability Questionable

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP Reliability Questionable within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I love that "Break-in" nonsense. My last Sig had ejection problems and they told me '600 rounds for break-in' and then send it back. 600 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP Reliability Questionable

I love that "Break-in" nonsense. My last Sig had ejection problems and they told me '600 rounds for break-in' and then send it back. 600 rounds of premium ammo is $350.

Brass doesn't get stuck - that bullet goes off and the lead is going out the front, and the brass is coming out the rear. Has nothing to do with the extractor. Shoot the gun with just one bullet in the magazine (no double feed situation). If you get one jam then send it back to ruger.

2. Remove Ads

Please forgive me for the terms I use I am just new to this world.
    I went to the range today and here is the update.
    I was able to get all 20 rounds of Federal 90GR personal defense hydra shock JHP through without any issue.
    For practice I used Remington 95G FMJ and had issues almost 8 times in 50 rounds. Extraction was ok but ejection was stuck.
    I am trying to figure out now is it that LCP have issue or is it really picky about the ammo

Own two of them not problems

Sent it back to Ruger will post once hear back from them

Beg to differ with some of youse guys.

I had the chance to do a T&E on one of the LCP pistols early on and the darned thing was terrific. I even considered buying on, and may still when I can spare some dough.
    The ones I've fired have been entirely reliable and they ate up every kind of load I could stick in them.
    The test gun was surprisingly accurate out to 25 yards, which delighted the heck out of me. Now it's not target pistol or a rabbit conker, but it' a dandy little pistol that is easy to pack around in a pocket without anybody knowing.

VIP Member
    Mine has been fine and reliable, EXCEPT if it gets grungy from pocket lint, dust or whatever. If it ain't clean it don't shoot. I'm sure cleanliness is not the OP's problem. However, we are on reliability and FWIW a dirty LCP may FTF.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have, have shot and have corrected a few LCP problems dating back to 2008. Serial numbers 370-xxxxxx and 371.xxxxxxx had some issues with feeding. If the barrell is out of tolerence the shell casing will get stuck in the barrel. Also if there is paint or machining scars on the feed ramp and outer jacket (cartridge seat) of the breach end of barrel the shell casing will get stuck. I recomend you good a google search containing LCP+fluff+buff the process is super easy to do. Also I would closely examine the emply shell casing that was stuck and look for bulges at near the base of the casing. IF the casings are swelled there is either an ammo issue or barrel problem. Lastly I recomend you stick with Winchester white box 95g round nose ammo for testing. Historically this has been the ammo to test the LCP with when having similar issues.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links