Ruger LCP Reliability Questionable

Ruger LCP Reliability Questionable

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP Reliability Questionable within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got new Ruger LCP after all the good reviews. Cleaned it thoroughly and went to range and had shot around 40 rounds without issue but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP Reliability Questionable

Question Ruger LCP Reliability Questionable

Got new Ruger LCP after all the good reviews. Cleaned it thoroughly and went to range and had shot around 40 rounds without issue but the problem started after that and bullet got stuck in barrel. Was really hard to pull out the used casing
    I was not able to manually cycle the ammo thru. It was a hard breakdown.
    Talked to Ruger support and sent back the gun.
    It took a week for Ruger to repair the same. They replaced the extractor. Note from repairs department stated that they fired 36 Rounds of 100Gr without any issue.
    Took it to Range today.
    My first try was LAWMAN FMJ 95gr. Second bullet did not get ejected. Was not stuck the same way as was in earlier issue. Manually cleared and fired 50 rounds without any issue.
    Changed my Amo to SPEER Gold Dot 90GR (My Carry ammo) and the very first bullet was stuck. Fired 20 rounds without any issue after wards

Now I am having hard time in getting confortable with the reliabilty of this gun.

Any thoughts or suggestion. 150 rounds had been fired from the gun do I need more to break in

With all of those issues after 150 rounds, I would have a hard time trusting it. I used to carry an LCP and had 4 FTE's over 400 rounds. Perfect? No, but I trusted it. Your situation on the other hand, a little different.

I've put close to 1,000 rounds of assorted ammo (a lot of reloaded practice ammo, even) through my LCP without a single issue.

Is it just that the casing doesn't eject or is the round getting stuck in the chamber and not firing? I only ask because you said "bullet," making it sound like a live round is stuck. That seems really weird.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Yes, clarify. Is the spent casing not ejecting, being stuck in the chamber?

Could be a chamber out of specs. Remove the barrel from the gun and drop a loaded round into the chamber. It should drop in easily and seat flush, stopping with a soft clunk. If it does, the chamber should be okay.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sorry for confusion but the casing did not eject and gets stuck.
    Initial issue before sending for the repairs was casing got jammed in the barrel and has to be removed forcibly
    Now it is almost half way ejected

First of all, the concept of "breaking in" a gun is a fallacy, particularly as it relates to it functioning properly and safely. I have owned an LCP, but I did not care for how it felt and behaved in my hand. I've traded for a S&W Bodyguard .380, which works better for me. But that's why there is chocolate and vanilla.

In short, if the gun does not function correctly, don't carry or fire it! Call Ruger and make arrangements to have it sent back and repaired. They are a good company and will stand behind their product.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Generally speaking, I think the reliability of the LCP has been exceptional. I've owned three and still own two, and I can't recall having a problem with any of them. On the other hand, I think your gun needs more attention. I'd give Ruger another crack at it.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rednirb View Post
    Sorry for confusion but the casing did not eject and gets stuck.
    Initial issue before sending for the repairs was casing got jammed in the barrel and has to be removed forcibly
    Now it is almost half way ejected
    More specifically, the casing jams in the chamber? It sounds like the chamber's tight, maybe there's a burr that's causing the sticking. You might try polishing the chamber with some 600-grit sandpaper. I've done that with my Kel-tec.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

are you sure there isnt some paint on the inside of the chamber? maybe your trying to fire 9mm rounds through it? Is that even possible? something weird going on.

what i would do is this: load a mag into the gun, and manually cycle the slide.. does it chamber each round and eject normally? If so, the cases are expanding on ignition and getting stuck.. in which case the chamber might have been made too large for the round.. if the rounds are getting stuck without firing then id say perhaps the chamber was made too small..the rounds should slide neatly into and out of the chamber.. you could even take the barrel out and put a round in by hand.. or get out some micrometers and measure the inside diameter of the chamber as compared to another 380.

I spoke to Ruger Support and they suggested to use Federal ammo or Remington ammo. They think it is the issue with the ammo.
    I am planning to hit the range with different ammo and do some experiment as all guns are different

LCP great gun for me!

I have owned the LCP for about a year and have not had one single problem with the gun! Cycles everything I have used and is accurate up to 15 yards! Sounds like a fluke with your particular weapon! Ruger stands by their products, send it back!

Since the factory had no failures with 100 gr why not give that a try? It should fire the loads you used too, but it would be interesting to know if the heavier bullet makes a difference.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I have had my LCP for about a month now...would guess somewhere around 250 rounds fired both target and hollow points. Not a single problem to date. However, I clean my guns really well and also put a small and I mean small amount of oil on the casing that go into the clip. I do have some friends that have had problems with Walmart ammo for whatever reason.

VIP Member
    I have had my LCP for quite some time ,it has eaten every ammo type that I have put thru it without any problems, about 1k rounds worth,....hmm if your having that kind of ongoing problems,by all means...send that puppy back to Ruger tell them to fix it or replace it( that is what I would do).

Sounds like a gun I wouldn't trust.

That said - I can't picture what is happening because the terms you're using are vague and don't make sense.

Bullet is the projectile. It is possible for a bullet to be stuck in a barrel. Not possible for it to be stuck in the chamber.

Casing/Brass can be used interchangeably. It cannot be stuck in the barrel. It can be stuck in the chamber.

Cartridge - the assembled round - bullet and casing combined.

You said all the problems started with a bullet getting stuck in the barrel - it was hard to pull out the used casing. To me, this sounds like a bullet was actually lodged in the barrel - as in from a squib load. In a situation like this the bullet has to be removed from the barrel before the gun is safe to fire again.

When it was really hard to pull out the used casing - was the extractor grabbing the rim of the casing, and you were pulling on the slide? Or had the extractor slipped off the rim of the casing and you had to use some sort of tool to remove the casing from the chamber?

When you were not able to manually cycle the ammunition through it - what was happening? Was the extractor bent?

After you got it back from Ruger (and they had replaced the extractor) and went to the range - you said the second bullet did not get ejected. Clearly at this point we are talking about the expended brass casing - what I can't tell is whether you are meaning that the casing was extracted from the chamber but the ejector failed to function properly, or if the extractor failed to remove the casing from the chamber at all.

I'm interested to know how you manually cleared the jam (as well as what the jam was in the first place).

I'm also curious in how you are loading the gun initially.

You then switched to your carry ammo - and the very first bullet was stuck. Was this a feeding problem with the cartridge?

There is some break in needed with any gun in my opinion, if only to allow some wear to occur so the gun will operate more smoothly - the issues you are having don't sound like "normal break in" issues though.

Good luck in any case - I'm sure Ruger will do what is needed to make you a happy customer. I hope you can provide some more accurate info - it will help other owners at the very least.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links