SHTF in parts of NY and NJ

This is a discussion on SHTF in parts of NY and NJ within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ANGLICO Yep! Beenie-Weenies, spam and rice! Got that laid in heavy for when the 'Big One' occurs out here. For those of ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: SHTF in parts of NY and NJ

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Yep! Beenie-Weenies, spam and rice! Got that laid in heavy for when the 'Big One' occurs out here. For those of you who may not know, Beenie-Weenies and other such canned goods are just down home comfort food! Kind of makes me a little nostalgic for C-Rats...................... (Edit Add) And don't forget about canned gravy.... goes well with any wild game or roots you can scrounge up.

Really, my prayers to anyone who is suffering out there. Especially since the temp is going way down tonight in the region.
    A really good hot meal which is quick. Rice and Hormel Chili. When I'm camping I boil a bottle of water with some rice, heat the chili and mix it up. Good stuff.
    ANGLICO likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    Kudos to American businesses like Wal Mart, Johnsonville, Budweiser and others for their compassion and action. Big business gets demonized by some for being greedy fat cats but you would have to be pretty silly to criticize them at this time when so many are in need.
    They get a tax write off and look good for doing it, don't forget that tid bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    They get a tax write off and look good for doing it, don't forget that tid bit.
    And FEMA uses our tax dollars MUCH more inefficiently while NOT looking good doing it. I'll take free enterprise over big government anyday. Business knows they need us to survive. Government thinks we need them to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    And FEMA uses our tax dollars MUCH more inefficiently while NOT looking good doing it. I'll take free enterprise over big government anyday. Business knows they need us to survive. Government thinks we need them to survive.
    Okey dokey, I'll only say they are both pretty bad. Wal mart is given subsidies by the government, come on.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Well.. not quite off this topic. About how Walmart is better than FEMA on helping the cold, wet and hungry......
    An effective model of intelligent distribution and location, as opposed to a model of industry connections and lack of presence. I'd say you gotta go with the distribution/location model, during crunch time.

In this instance, they're donating cash and relying on their network of suppliers and passing along that assistance to the Red Cross and other organizations.

But I'd think that with Wal-Mart's physical proximity to many of the affected areas, simply opening up a portion of their parking lots, breaking out the propane grills/food, medicines, water, and other basics would be infinitely more effective than awaiting delivery/presence by other responders. In essence, the food/water/medicine/supplies have already been distributed across the region, without further need to truck/airlift them in. And everyone generally knows where their local Wal-Mart is. Staten Island would be out of luck, though, as there isn't one on the island.

Of course, I can imagine the word of "free/give-aways" would spread like wildfire. It would be interesting whether they could avoid riots and mass-thefts that seem to hit them from time to time even during non-emergency times. Ah, well. Nobody's perfect.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Main stream media is too busy with the "We're gonna die!" lady to bother with anything else.
    Yup. Bleeds/Leads "reporting" has almost completely replaced investigative and balanced reporting. Sounds bytes and shock "journalism," instead of useful information.

One would think that in a situation involving widespread (but hardly utter, complete) damage to properties, services, infrastructure, the goal would be to (1) pass along helpful info to those having troubles (ie, shelters/water), (2) pass along impact reports on affected areas to avoid/help, and (3) provide coverage that gives a fair sense of what's working/not. This sky-is-falling approach ends up contributing little to nothing, to those communities who are most in need of vital information.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    REALITY_ NYC crime falls by one third in wake of superstorm Sandy - U.S. News

Crime in NYC dropped by 1/3. Murder and rape dropped by 86% and 44%, respectively.
    The results reported covered the 5 day period from Monday to Friday.

This is fairly typical for NYC after major problems, IMO. It is a counter-intuitive result,
    but people do rise to the occasion.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links