Traveling and firearms

Traveling and firearms

This is a discussion on Traveling and firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a result of the post about a COM (brand) lockbox being found opened after a flight ( http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...t-into-kc.html )... I thought I'd post this ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: Traveling and firearms

Traveling and firearms

As a result of the post about a COM (brand) lockbox being found opened after a flight ( Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC )...

I thought I'd post this as a basic primmer on how you can and cannot travel with firearms within the US on interstate public transportation... This is BASIC information. You are responsible to find out the details for your trip on your carrier of choice.... but these are the basics.

If you're traveling by bus... Greyhound etc. Fuhgeddaboudit... you cannot take firearms or ammo on a Greyhound bus... some other carriers might have different rules.

By train... Amtrak seems to follow the airlines rules (so, see them, below)... But, checked luggage service must be available at the beginning and end stations of your trip. And you've got to declare in advance... way in advance. Talk to Amtrak.

By airline... Covers the major airlines pretty much.... UAL, AA, Delta, Southwest... maybe some others (check your own Pigeon Air... or whoever you're flying with).

1. Curbside check in is not allowed.
    2. You must declare your firearm(s) to the ticket agent, it must be in checked luggage. So, you are going to have to go to the ticket counter anyway.
    3. Firearms will only be accepted if unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container such as a rifle case. TSA approved locks are accepted. DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS ON YOUR FIREARMS CASE, they are not wise, nor required on the case the firearm is in
    4. You may have up to 3 rifles or 5 handguns in each locked hard sided container. (some airlines limit the number of such containers you may have.... others, don't care... just pay the extra fees.)
    5. You can have <= 11 pounds of ammunition total.
    6. Ammo must not be loose, in most cases it can be in magazines, but the magazines must be in a pouch designed for them. It doesn't have to be in the original boxes, but can usually be in boxes designed for ammo.
    7. Depending on the airline, you will be charged for checked luggage... $20 or more.
    8. Checked bags must meet these requirements:

• 62 inches in "total size." total size is determined by adding the length, the width, and the height. For example a bag measuring 25 in. long x 13 in. wide x 7 in. high. would equal 46.5 total inches in size.
    • Weigh 50 pounds or less.

You will be charged for more weight and or size.

That covers the basics.

Here are some useful links:

TSA info on traveling with firearms... strongly suggest you laminate this and be prepared to show it to TSA at your airport, and to the ticketing personnel: HERE

Packing and the "friendly skies." This man travels to a lot of conferences ("cons") from techie-cons to comic-cons and others.... he travels with "gear" electronic gear... expensive stuff.... and the best way he has found to protect his stuff, is to travel with firearms.... the firearms go in the same cases as his stuff (including his clothing)... All cases are declared... all cases are only inspected in his presence... and all are locked with very secure FOBUS locks No TSA locks.... His handle is deviant ollam... this is his site regarding air travel HERE There is a video chock full of info and such linked at the top of his page... It is full of "language" you don't need to view the video...

I hope this post is helpful to those considering travel with firearms on public carriers.
    Last edited by oakchas; November 2nd, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Great info, thanks for putting it all together in one place. And I would say you are being modest labeling it BASIC. Well, modest, or paranoid.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Great info, thanks for putting it all together in one place. And I would say you are being modest labeling it BASIC. Well, modest, or paranoid.
    I've gotten so much info off of this site over the last couple/three years, it's the least I can do to pay it back. And as far as paranoia... well, I don't want anyone to think this is the last word on the subject... in fact, in our ever changing world the information is only good for the moment I put it together...

Who knows? Maybe Greyhound is allowing passengers to open carry as of right now....

Well, maybe not... but they ought to based on the locations of most bus terminals now-a-days, eh?
    BigStick likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    As a result of the post about a COM (brand) lockbox being found opened after a flight ( Lockbox broken - discovered after flight into KC )...

I thought I'd post this as a basic primmer on how you can and cannot travel with firearms within the US on interstate public transportation... This is BASIC information. You are responsible to find out the details for your trip on your carrier of choice.... but these are the basics.

If you're traveling by bus... Greyhound etc. Fuhgeddaboudit... you cannot take firearms or ammo on a Greyhound bus... some other carriers might have different rules.

By train... Amtrak seems to follow the airlines rules (so, see them, below)... But, checked luggage service must be available at the beginning and end stations of your trip. And you've got to declare in advance... way in advance. Talk to Amtrak.

By airline... Covers the major airlines pretty much.... UAL, AA, Delta, Southwest... maybe some others (check your own Pigeon Air... or whoever you're flying with).

1. Curbside check in is not allowed.
    2. You must declare your firearm(s) to the ticket agent, it must be in checked luggage. So, you are going to have to go to the ticket counter anyway.
    3. Firearms will only be accepted if unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container such as a rifle case. TSA approved locks are accepted. DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS ON YOUR FIREARMS CASE, they are not wise, nor required on the case the firearm is in
    4. You may have up to 3 rifles or 5 handguns in each locked hard sided container. (some airlines limit the number of such containers you may have.... others, don't care... just pay the extra fees.)
    5. You can have <= 11 pounds of ammunition total.
    6. Ammo must not be loose, in most cases it can be in magazines, but the magazines must be in a pouch designed for them. It doesn't have to be in the original boxes, but can usually be in boxes designed for ammo.
    7. Depending on the airline, you will be charged for checked luggage... $20 or more.
    8. Checked bags must meet these requirements:

• 62 inches in "total size." total size is determined by adding the length, the width, and the height. For example a bag measuring 25 in. long x 13 in. wide x 7 in. high. would equal 46.5 total inches in size.
    • Weigh 50 pounds or less.

You will be charged for more weight and or size.

That covers the basics.

Here are some useful links:

TSA info on traveling with firearms... strongly suggest you laminate this and be prepared to show it to TSA at your airport, and to the ticketing personnel: HERE

Packing and the "friendly skies." This man travels to a lot of conferences ("cons") from techie-cons to comic-cons and others.... he travels with "gear" electronic gear... expensive stuff.... and the best way he has found to protect his stuff, is to travel with firearms.... the firearms go in the same cases as his stuff (including his clothing)... All cases are declared... all cases are only inspected in his presence... and all are locked with very secure FOBUS locks No TSA locks.... His handle is deviant ollam... this is his site regarding air travel HERE There is a video chock full of info and such linked at the top of his page... It is full of "language" you don't need to view the video...

I hope this post is helpful to those considering travel with firearms on public carriers.
    Great information! I regularly fly to OH and am getting licensed to carry there. This info will certainly come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Great information! I regularly fly to OH and am getting licensed to carry there. This info will certainly come in handy.
    Two things you should do, if you fly regularly... print off the TSA thing and get it laminated (first link in my post)

Spend an hour to watch the movie by Deviant Ollam... And think about all he says (second link in the post)...

The best advice, I think, is using the large ammo cans AS luggage. Put a handgun in them, with all your other clothing, etc. for the trip... a couple of mags loaded in mag pouches would be okay, too (usually). Put a hasp and good lock on the ammo can... spend the $20+/- for a checked bag...

Heck, use a sky cap, they might get you to the front of the line quicker... and can take you to the "inspection area." You unlock the bag for TSA, and lock it back up.... NO ONE BUT TSA can look in your bag... and they have to move heaven and earth to reasonably try to get a hold of you if they should have to inspect it again, because you have to be present, if at all possible...

Your bag will get better treatment... it will more likely be at your destination with your flight.... lotsa perks doing it this way... for a little extra $$$
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links