New Old Gun Maintenance Question...

This is a discussion on New Old Gun Maintenance Question... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok..."old" is relative, but in any case...I recently acquired a Colt Defneder that was my dad's. For reasons I won't go into, he is not ...

Thread: New Old Gun Maintenance Question...

New Old Gun Maintenance Question...

Ok..."old" is relative, but in any case...I recently acquired a Colt Defneder that was my dad's. For reasons I won't go into, he is not around for me to find out details on this particular weapon. When I discovered that he had the gun about 2 years ago, I asked why he had it because in 34 years being his son, I never knew he had any firearms in the house. His response was simply "I wanted a Colt". If you knew him, it would not be a surprise that he bought the gun simply because it was a Colt, he was an impulse buyer like that.

Anyway, I don't know where he bought the gun or if it was new or used. It has virtually no wear on it, so I am going to assume new for the moment. I tried looking up the serial number on Colts website, but got a "number not found" reply along with the recommendation that I purchase their entire serial number catalog for a fee, of course.

Anyway, my question is this....assuming the gun is 3-4 years old and has never been fired to my knowledge, would this warrant the need for any precautionary maintenance (aside from cleaning and greasing) before firing? I guess my main concern is the springs/levers in the recoil and firing mechanisms. Forgive me for the simplicity of my terms, I am not a gunsmith. I am just curious if these things can become brittle if they just sit for long periods of time without regular use.

Thanks for any input you experts might have.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Clean, lube, run a functional check, and shoot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sure, if you don't know the history of a gun it's always a good idea to at least field strip it and see what's going on inside.

Plus, im sure someone here has one of those catalogs who can help you dates.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Clean, lube, run a functinoal check, and shoot.
    Pretty much. As long as it's been kept dry, you shouldn't have any problems.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

If you go to proofhouse.com, and follow the prompts, you can find the year that the gun was made using the serial number.
    I know of at least one revolver in my family that had not been fired for at least 15 years and was a breeze to clean and fired as well as when it was new after the cleanings.
    That particlar revolver as been in the family for at least 30 years. Foreign things in the barrel or in the inner workings, may be a concern. Brittleness should not be a concern with a 4 or 5 year old gun.
    JMTCW !! PM and I will send the link.

Re: New Old Gun Maintenance Question...

Clean it. Check it. test it out at the range. If you're not sure what to look for it even what you're looking at, have a gunsmith give it a real go through.

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2

Links