Shooting Range in Kansas City?

This is a discussion on Shooting Range in Kansas City? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If any of you guys are in the Kansas City area, I'm interested in hearing your takes on what would be good shooting ranges to ...

Thread: Shooting Range in Kansas City?

If any of you guys are in the Kansas City area, I'm interested in hearing your takes on what would be good shooting ranges to check out. I was more of a casual shooter for some time, and just recently became more active, and the two places I shoot are at the Lake City range in Blue Springs, and down in the country on a relative's property.

My problem is that Lake City is far from an ideal range for CCW purposes...minimum range is 20 yards, and if you shoot more than one shot per 5 seconds they scold you. I like the cleanliness, order, and safety of that range, but I'd like to find something a little more geared to small defensive pistols, not hunting rifles.

Any suggestions? Preferably it would be a place with friendly and safety-conscious staff. I'd want it to be a place that my wife would be willing to go to (again), not a seedy, dingy hole-in-the-wall where the regulars make you feel like an outsider, or something like that. Thanks very much...I look forward to any suggestions you guys have! Barring getting my own place out in the country!

And my location is just south of the stadiums, in the Raytown area.

Hi :)

I regularly shoot at Pigeon Hill. It's about an hour away from you, towards St. Joe. It's an unmanaged MoCOE range, with 25, 50, and 100 yard ranges. Since there's no range safety officer on duty, you can shoot as fast as you want... even draw and shoot. It's not the fanciest place you'll ever shoot, but it's not bad (and it's free!).

Down side is... there's no range safety officer on duty :) You have to deal with the occasional idiot at the range (I just go have a cup of coffee and come back). Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. I don't deal well with unsafe shooters, and I've only had to leave twice.

Your other choice of outdoor ranges is Parma Woods, in Parkville. If you don't like Lake City, you won't like Parma Woods... for the same reasons. It's great if you are a bench rest rifle shooter, less so if you want to shoot combat drills.

There are several indoor ranges, as well... Crossfire off of Truman and 291 would be pretty close to you, I shoot at the Claycomo range when it's nasty outside.

You'd be welcome to join me for a trip out to Pigeon Hill one weekend if you're interested... just send me a PM :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by nicneufeld View Post
    if you shoot more than one shot per 5 seconds they scold you.
    UGGG, 5 seconds, By that time, I am slapping the second clip home.... I would be totally banned...
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Sponsored Links