When is enough, enough?

This is a discussion on When is enough, enough? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Am I a collector or obsessive, or am I just trying to stock my future gunstore by buying the inventory early . I have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is enough, enough?

When is enough, enough?

Am I a collector or obsessive, or am I just trying to stock my future gunstore by buying the inventory early .

I have been going over how many firearms I have, how many places I have them (so they would be safer and I'm talking completely different locations) and just was thinking that I have on order right now another 1911, getting into a group buy for another 1911 at *is this permissible* www.warrifles.com and I've spent an estimated $2,000 on making a SBR from an HK51 clone (just waiting on the okay or the deny from ATFE so I can put it together when approved).

I also try to buy, if I have the money, as many C&R pistols that I can, even in odd ball calibers. In calibers that the ammo cost as much as the firearm itself.

I thought that I really didn't like rifles, I now have a complete (well, as much as able) collection of SKS's (from each country and the D model), a .303 just because, a 30-40 Krag, etc..

Maybe I just figure that I can't take my money with me when I go so I may as well blow it on firearms while I still can.

Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne; October 4th, 2006 at 07:42 PM.

2. Remove Ads

enough is enough when I have one of each! (By each I mean every gun ever made EVER!)

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    enough is enough when I have one of each! (By each I mean every gun ever made EVER!)
    only one?
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Wayne, you have a serious disease; There is no cure, so enjoy! I got interested in .22 rifles about 3 years ago, and have 19 now, so I empathize, but why stop?
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

When is enough, enough?
    For me, since I do firearms for protection and not as a pasttime, when I've covered the security need. Boring, sure, but I'd much rather be out in the hills finding the road less-traveled.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Since my ''gun rape'' back in UK in '97, I have since being here now six years permanently - caught up as best I could - and then some!!!

Part of this was shere indulgence, tho replacing some items if possible - but managed mostly by my spare capital resulting in my selling up to move too - even got house paid off.

I have enough inventory value such that I know some could be liquified to pay for me being ''funeralized'' - and still leave my son a good choice and then value left over for my wife to use as she sees fit too. Must be about $20k total by now

I, like Wayne, have done a pretty good ''C&R job'' tho there's always room for more - maybe a Swiss yet to come. My venture into carry nearly five years ago was also a stimulus for many purchases - then my ''cannon'' fetish - so some big boomers needed too!

I have tho pretty much finished my main collection - and have few more needs really but - always a few things tantalize on ''the list'' - that never actually gets finished Mind you, I am old - not starting off like a good many folks.

A good many only see sporadic action but - they are all appreciated and enjoyed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Just like when you get bitten by the Jeep bug. You buy one, take it off road, upgrade parts, repeat. A real Jeep is never really done. Take mine for example. I had to cancel an order when the engine blew. Now the Jeep is just about stripped, the parts that will be unused in the rebuild are going up for sale, and the rest is being cleaned up, repaired and prepared for the final re-assembly. The problem is that I keep buying guns. I could have just about bought the drivetrain with what i have spent on guns in the last two years. Alas, the Jeep sits as the safe gets more and more packed.

One of these days I might get both of my passions together.

As for when enough is enough? I am working on three collections at the moment. One is military handguns from around the world from 1900 to present day. The second is Ruger Blackhawks of each caliber, finish, and barrel length. The third, just about anything that makes me say oooohh....purdy....!!

Assistant Administrator
    The third, just about anything that makes me say oooohh....purdy....!!
    In that case - you have the usual untreatable condition!!!

"Firearmus gravitas perpetuosum aquiritus"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    In that case - you have the usual untreatable condition!!!

"Firearmus gravitas perpetuosum aquiritus"
    Then I guess there isn't a pill for that? Well, one that doesn't involve high speed lead poisoning?

Well enough is when you have to stop buying guns so you can buy food and pay the bills. But that doesn't mean one can't save for a new gun now and then. After all I don't have one of each 1911 ever made, and they keep making more. Then there is the Military knife collection, that throws a kink in the equation.

I don't have nearly as many guns as I'd like to have, but if it makes you feel any better - it's not uncommon to see guys at the trap/skeet range using shotguns that they pay $35,000 - $70,000 for.
    I guess it's a matter of personal finance and your personal values.
    There are a lot worse hobbies/habits.
    I think our hobby is healthy for us, but I try to avoid spending the mortage money on a new piece.

I don't know the answer but I do know that if you have too many to fit in your gun safe, then you should stop buying guns! Until you get another safe or a bigger safe.

Once I came home from a gun show with a couple of additions to my collection and my wife said that she thought I needed addiction counseling. I said, "no I don't, and just to prove it I'll sell two of your guns tomorrow." She changed her mind imediately, and said she was just kidding.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

When your safe gets full then you need to buy at least 4 more guns to have an excuse to buy another gun safe.

OD*
    I have more than I need, not nearly as many as I want.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Chris,

then my ''cannon'' fetish - so some big boomers needed too!
    , I've actually been thinking of either the .454 or a 45-70 since I have the ammo but not the gun (gave away the single shot that I had).

The 1911's (and varients) is the ongoing collection right now. I have two modern (USP and Kimber), a Balister Molina, getting a Colt Sistema, ordering the one from WR with specialized SN, and have a Star Model Super in 9mm Largo.

I guess I'm like Chris, just didn't have to be "slapped" in the face first with a total gun ban like he had the misfortune to have gone through. Trying to get as many as I can before they are either gone or banned outright.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links