Wife and Firearms

This is a discussion on Wife and Firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've had my concealed carry permit since last summer, and have been carrying for a few months. It has certainly become much more second nature ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Wife and Firearms

Wife and Firearms

I've had my concealed carry permit since last summer, and have been carrying for a few months. It has certainly become much more second nature for me and it's been a great experience. My wife, however, was not a fan of firearms in general.

Early in our relationship, she took a few shots on a .22 rifle, and she wasn't excited about it and hasn't fired one since, but she secretly had no interest until recently. Be it that she has become more comfortable because I have had them, that she found out her aunt carries, or that her friend has been encouraged by her boyfriend to get something for defense to get her thinking.

We talked a bit about what she wanted in a firearm (the color was quite important at the time) and she got to look and hold a lot of them yesterday. Afterward, we went to the range and she shot a few revolvers and my 9mm. After limp-wristing it and having to actuate the slide, she decided she wasn't a big fan of that.

Today we got her hands on some revolvers and she liked them and ended up settling on a Ruger LCR .357. Though she wasn't able to get a "girly" looking gun, she did end up getting some glasses and a pink case to make up for it, and ultimately it was the firearm she chose, not one she was pushed into.

I have to say, that I'm quite impressed with this little thing! I was able to squeeze off a few rounds at the range today (she had to go to a birthday party and missed out) and I could shoot .38's out of this all day, and the trigger is amazing compared to my SP-101. .357's out of this... not as fun, but glad to have the capability.

I want to thank the DC group as a whole for all the open discussions that they host it certainly was helpful for both myself and for her to see a lot of the discussions! Thanks!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Good to see she finally came around. Now you will have twice the firepower when out and about with her..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Good for her and for you, I think the wheel gun is going to be where my wife ends up as well. She just can't muster up the hand strength to rack the slide on any of my guns big or small. Again congrats on winning her over to the sport as well as the defense side of things.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Bought my wife a 642 after she got her CCW. I had taken her to the range a few times to familiarize herself with pistols and after I felt she was comfortable, we took the class.
    Let's be honest here, I can only carry so many. So, I need a Sherpa with me to carry extra. Enter the S&W in my wife's purse.
    Just kidding. I think it's great when you can bring someone over to our way of thinking on security.

Distinguished Member
    Very nicely done! From everything I've read and heard the LCR is a great revolver. Really wanna shoot one some day.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

My wife has no interest in guns and doesn't like to shoot much either. Oh well more guns for me I guess..

I am happy that your wife has taken an interest, and a revolver is better than no gun at all. The Ruger revolver is a fine choice. Adding a Crimson Trace to it would be the icing on the cake.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Congrats to your wife. Glad she decided to come aboard. The LCR is a very nice revolver. It has the best trigger of any revolver of its size. As long as she keeps in practice with it, she will be much better prepared if she ever faces a SD situation. And, shooting can be fun as a family.

My poor wife. Watching her try to shoot would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. She almost fired my SKS with the butt right against her cheek. Turns out she's left-eyed even though she took the test and claimed to be right-eye dominant. She was moving her face to the right to get her left eye in line with the sights and rested the buttstock right against the left side of her face. Since I was behind her because of the brass ejection, I almost didn't even notice.

P.S. Yes, of course I showed her how to hold the rifle. And by the time I stepped back a couple of paces she'd started searching for the sights and moving her head to the right. She's not too good with a shotgun either and the G23 almost flew back over her head. Our new family rulebook is 1. Only rimfire for Mom. 2-1000. See #1.

P.S.S. A friend asked her if she was going to get a gun and she said, "No, I got a husband."

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    My poor wife. Watching here try to shoot would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. She almost fired my SKS with the butt right against her cheek. Turns out she's left-eyed even though she took the test and claimed to be right-eye dominant. She was moving her face to the right to get her left eye in line with the sights and rested the buttstock right against the left side of her face. Since I was behind her because of the brass ejection, I almost didn't even notice.
    Eye dominance only plays a factor in when both eyes are open,when using rifle sights I close one eye.
    Something tells me that she either wasn't paying attention or wasn't being instructed very well,when I teach new shooters I observe everything and go over proper hand hold, cheek weld,stock/shoulder placement,scope eye relief if applicable,All it takes is one bad experience to turn off a new shooter which is why before they shoot larger calibers they start out on a 22 which is very forgiving and is very user friendly
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very cool! She picked a good gun from all accounts! I do not own one, but love my 442!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Nice choice! My girlfriend has came around to guns but can barely even pull the trigger on any of my revolvers..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Eye dominance only plays a factor in when both eyes are open,when using rifle sights I close one eye.
    Something tells me that she either wasn't paying attention or wasn't being instructed very well,when I teach new shooters I observe everything and go over proper hand hold, cheek weld,stock/shoulder placement,scope eye relief if applicable,All it takes is one bad experience to turn off a new shooter which is why before they shoot larger calibers they start out on a 22 which is very forgiving and is very user friendly
    My mistake was not having the .22 with me. Forgot that the three guns I took were all way over her head (the Glock almost literally). But her screwy eyes are an even bigger issue. She could never get sighted in. The one thing you can't teach is vision. They either have it or they don't. Although I'm sure you'll say you teach it every day.

Wife and Firearms

Congrats the LCR is a fine weapon. My wife had one for a time but could not get past the recoil of the .38 version She however loved my LC9 with Pachmyr grip so she sold her LCR and bought a lc9.

As far as not being girlie, there is always cerakote :)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...21E29057CE.jpg

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife is the one who is always saying "let's go to the range"...I just say "yes, dear"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links