Veterans Day Week

This is a discussion on Veterans Day Week within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; THANK YOU VETERANS In approximately 6 days, it will be Veteranís Day. I didnít want to wait until then to express my gratitude for those ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By kimbercollector
  • 1 Post By First Sgt
  • 1 Post By shadowwalker
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By First Sgt

Thread: Veterans Day Week

New Member Array kimbercollector's Avatar

Veterans Day Week

THANK YOU VETERANS

In approximately 6 days, it will be Veteranís Day. I didnít want to wait until then to express my gratitude for those who have served, and to the families in which supported their Service Member. Thank you for Serving America.

Its fascinating to think of all the men and women throughout time that have deployed to military bases that sit literally across the street, or to far away foreign lands to fight often times an unseen enemy.

Iím thankful for what you have done, the sacrifices you have made, and sure would like to hear one of your memories that you may be revisiting this week due to the Holiday on 11/11Ö

Iím posting this here because at some point, you have found yourself behind a military issued weapon and there has to be a story that goes with itÖ

Semper Fi, Dave
    riflelogbook.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The best memories were the humanitarian missions I flew. The two that come most to mind are Typhoon Pamela Relief and Operation Snowblow.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Semper Fi
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

My very first "memory" of being "conditioned" to the "military way" when arriving at basic training. We were still in civilian clothes, Training Instructors in our face to "nicely explain" how things would work while we were there.

One of the things was proper wear of the uniform. Well, since we hadn't been issued uniforms, they just started by telling us we NEVER NEVER NEVER were to put our hands in our pockets...NEVER...Approximately five minutes later, after having this lil tidbit of information given to us, we were in a "herd", being briefed on how to make a military bed, arrange our footlockers, etc...and for some reason I...yes...me the First Sgt...decided to have a brain fart and insert my hands into my jeans pockets while listening to the briefing...

It was at that point my Training Instructor noticed my indiscretion, and he "politely" asked me to go to his office and assume a position of Attention until he had the opportunity to review the error of my ways with me. So off I go, knowing that I had violated the first rule of the military..."NEVER let the Trainining Instructor learn your name"...There I was, standing at attention in front of his desk, when after about 45 minutes of being able to review the moment I was caught with my hands in my pockets, the TI entered his office and "quietly" closed his door.

Oh he was ever soooooooooooooooo pleasant in his explanations of military bearing and paying attention to instructions. It was almost as if he were my mommy telling me a bedtime story...

At the end of his polite words to me, he said he was going to reward me for being the first one to "introduce" myself to him and he was about to give me a "position of responsibility" for the remainder of basic training...Of course you all can imagine my "excitement" at this offer..Here I was, only one day into basic, and already I was excelling!!!

The TI looked at me and said "Airman Basic, I'm so pleased with how you are handling instruction, that I'm making you my "Latrine Queen" for the remainder of basic...I shall never never forget this time in my life...All the friends that I made in my basic training Flight when I closed off 9 of ten urinals, 8 of ten commodes, and 5 of ten showers...They always seemed to appreciate my efforts at giving them a latrine that was clean enough to eat off the tiles!!!

Somehow I managed to build upon this experience and managed to make it to retirement a little over 20 years later...If I had it to do over again, there is no question in my mind that I would!!!!

Now for those of you that fell for all the "sweetness" exhibited by my Training Instructor, then I have a bridge nearby that is for sale...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbercollector View Post
    THANK YOU VETERANS

In approximately 6 days, it will be Veteran’s Day. I didn’t want to wait until then to express my gratitude for those who have served, and to the families in which supported their Service Member. Thank you for Serving America.
    Welcome to the forum, Dave. Great first post! Hope you stick around and learn from all the great people here.

A few years ago, I was with my kids at a local community center and it also happened to be Veterans Day. I made a point of taking my kids with me to say hello to several elderly veterans who were in full uniform. Two had served in WWII and a few in Korea. I thanked them for their service. We make a point of saying hello to soldiers whenever we see them.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    A lot of vets are like this: Still in Saigon - YouTube
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

At my last duty assignment, I would volunteer at the VA during holidays and would go in my blues. The stories those old guys could tell. Some would chill you, others were downright hilarious. Great group of people, and sadly, some of the most lonely. My hats off to those VA employees, too.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Thanks for posting those BurgerBoy I enlisted in 57
    BurgerBoy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I have a friend like that, 40 years after the war and he is still on meds for PTSD.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I firmly believe our government left men behind. Let us NEVER NEVER forget them! May the Good Lord place his hand on them and bring them home to Him.

USAF Retired Nam Vet, 1 Aug 60 - 1 Aug 70, Nha Trang and Phu Cat RVN
    msgt/ret and BurgerBoy like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links