AMMO for .40 Cal. - Page 2

AMMO for .40 Cal.

This is a discussion on AMMO for .40 Cal. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have 2 XD 40s and have never had a problem with Speer Gold Dot 155. That doesn't mean something else wouldn't work just as ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AMMO for .40 Cal.

I have 2 XD 40s and have never had a problem with Speer Gold Dot 155. That doesn't mean something else wouldn't work just as well, but I decided to stay with what I knew I could count on rather than experiment.

I carry 140gr Barnes Tac-XPD in .40s&w and don't feel under gunned. I would like to get something in 165gr but a cupple of 140s to the chest aought to stop most threat, and where I work, over penetration is a major concern if mine since there are a lot of people and children in the area, so a light for caliber round makes me feel a little better knowing they will most likely stay in the BG. And I have no dought that they will have plenty of energy to get my point across.
    Good gun control is hitting your target every time

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Another vote for 165 HST here !
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Add another critical defense

lets try that again

big poll here
    .40 S&W shooters

I currently carry federal 180 grain jhp hst. It has been a great round. The 155 grain hydra shok's are great as well!

Any modern JHP.

So you have a Ruger (Me Too-SR40C) the GOOD NEWS is it will eat and spit down range just about anything you put in it. I have shot Blazer and Tul Ammo ( Non Brass) mostly I shoot Winchester White Box 180 Grain and carry for SD Hornady Critical Duty 175 GR. at the begining I was getting a a few FTF's mostly due to grip last two range days I shot 300 rounds each time NO FAILURES at all.

Wasn't too happy with my shooting that day. My buddy had his GoPro I didn't even know he was videoing me.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    there's a ton of threads on the topic and they mostly come down to whatever reliably cycles through your gun. in 40 at least, the 165 often has a bit more energy then the rest while the 180's track a little straighter due to the increased mass. but it's splitting hairs to be sure. they all penetrate about the same. I carry 165's in Fed HST, Gold Dot, and Ranger T. There's lots of other perfectly suitable ammo though and in the end, I'm sure it will make no difference which brand you pick. I'd happily carry 180's if I couldn't find 165's. I don't see the 155's or 135's very often so I don't normally consider them. They all make holes and drive plenty deep.
    There are lots of proven rounds. The round must prove itself to you and your gun. Shoot at least a couple boxes or whatever you choose before carrying it every day, if you like what you see and feel at the range, you made a good choice.

When I carry one of the 40's I typically run Winchester Ranger T-Series or Federal HST (180gr always).

In 45 I do Winchester Ranger T-Series in 230gr but the 1911 is eating Federal HST +P 230gr.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Hornady Speer, Federal, Winchester, for SD Id rather have 155 gr but dont see that much so 165 gr is what I go with in JHP.

+1 on the SR40c eating anything you put in it. A bit over a thousand rounds thru mine and never ever had it hiccup on anything from steel case tula up to premium JHPs of any I named. Even shooting rapid fire weak hand.

Honestly though 155 gr and up to 180 even in a FMJ, if a handgun will get it done, the fotay will get it done if you do your part.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSR40 View Post
    When it comes to velocity and stopping power I choose 155 grain but when it comes to penetrating capability obviously the 180 grain.
    Penetration first, then expansion make up stopping power. So, your heavier for caliber rounds are what you are looking for. Your handgun cannot generate the velocity to create large wound cavities. As long as you have enough velocity to reliably expand and penetrate, it's good.

Since you can't get Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot (even online?), Winchester should be next on your list (in 180gr.).

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Ammo for a .40? Same as ammo for my 9s, 38s, 45, etc. Any modern hollowpoint ammo that has a record of successful use in LE and is on sale. There jsut isn't enough difference to worry about unless you have an unusually specific and narrow set of limits on what you are needing the round to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links