Remington 870.... Is this normal?

This is a discussion on Remington 870.... Is this normal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just noticed this the other day when I broke down my shotgun for a thorough cleaning. Untitled.jpg Please forgive the rather distorted picture. The ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By hkusp9f

Thread: Remington 870.... Is this normal?

RT [OP]

I just noticed this the other day when I broke down my shotgun for a thorough cleaning.

Untitled.jpg

Please forgive the rather distorted picture. The picture was enormous for some reason, so I resized and cropped it. Anyway, as you can see, there is a nice little crack running the length of the inside of the forend. Is this something I should worry about?

2. Remove Ads

I had an 870 Wingmaster at one point, the fore end looked very similar to that. Gorgeous finish and engraving on the outside, kinda busted up looking and cracked in a couple places on the inside. Still put a couple thousand shells through it just fine during my skeet phase.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

If a crack, then it's a weak point. If new and the issue has been seen at first cleaning (or within the warranty period), I would most definitely contact Remington about the suitability of a crack so early in the life of the gun. If SOL on the warranty, particularly if this is a defensive shotgun, I'd replace the stock. IMO, it makes no sense to have a known-failing element in any defensive gun, or any gun you're expecting to rely upon.

870, here, and I've not seen any similar crack. Haven't stripped many other 870's, so I can't say whether it's a common aspect of the 870. Can't recall many complaints about such broken parts on them, though.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

RT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If a crack, then it's a weak point. If new and the issue has been seen at first cleaning (or within the warranty period), I would most definitely contact Remington about the suitability of a crack so early in the life of the gun. If SOL on the warranty, particularly if this is a defensive shotgun, I'd replace the stock. IMO, it makes no sense to have a known-failing element in any defensive gun, or any gun you're expecting to rely upon.

870, here, and I've not seen any similar crack. Haven't stripped many other 870's, so I can't say whether it's a common aspect of the 870. Can't recall many complaints about such broken parts on them, though.
    I've had the gun for around 8 years or so (well outside of the warranty period). It has been sitting in the back of the closet for most of that time, except for the few times I took it to the range and out hunting not long after I got it. I broke it down for a cleaning then but never paid much attention to the condition of the forend, so I have no idea whether or not it has always been that way. Deer season is coming up around here, and I've been kicking around the idea of getting back into hunting, which is why I broke it down and cleaned it up again. More than likely I won't be relying on it as a defensive gun as I have others that fill that need.

It still feels solid when racking the pump, but I was just wondering whether or not it would hold up to the recoil of firing. Based on BritishAgent's experience, I guess I'll try it out at the range in a few days. Thanks for the replies.

Administrator
    It's not a crack. Yes...it's normal.

It's an 870....... Quit thinking about it and USE it!

It looks like a cut rather than a crack. It's probably to accommodate the black tube running down the inside.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Why not contact Remington and send them a copy of the photo so one of their experts can evaluate it. The worst they can say is it is cracked and needs to be replaced but the warranty expired so it is your dime. The best they can say is it is not a crack and it is just fine, no problems. They may even say something somewhere in between. Also you could take it to a furniture repair shop. They could tell you if it is cracked. They may even have some new adhesive that they can brush on it that obsorbs into the wood.

It looks like a crack to me and it continues on the left side of the pictire. Get a new forearm.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Normal

Administrator
    Factory New Wood ~ Walnut...for the Remington 870. Need I say more?

gasmitty likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    It is normal. I have owned several (still do) 870's and they all look like that. Very normal.

it's a relief cut,so if and when the wood swells it won't bind on the magazine tube of the shotgun....completely normal...
    QKShooter likes this.

You don't see cracks that straight in nature...that there is a cut.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I've had 870 since 1990 and it has the same "crack." It was like that when I bought it (new) and it looks exactly the same now. I assure you that it is nothing to worry about.

Links