Shotgun loading port problem

This is a discussion on Shotgun loading port problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This has nothing to do with concealed carry, but I posted it on a hunting forum and have gotten zero replies so far. I figured ...

Thread: Shotgun loading port problem

This has nothing to do with concealed carry, but I posted it on a hunting forum and have gotten zero replies so far. I figured you guys may be able to help me out.

I've recently acquired a few guns of mine from my parents' house, one of which is my favorite dove hunting shotgun. I'm not exactly sure of the model, but it's a S&W that is an absolute joy to carry and shoot. In inspecting it, I noticed that the plastic "plunger" type thing in the port where shells are inserted is incredibly difficult to push. (Sorry about my terms, I don't know the correct terminology.) I'm sure it's from not being used for 10 years or so. It's so hard to push that I couldn't even load a single shell through it. How can I fix this?

Open up the magazine tube however you do that on the model you have, most unscrew at the end away from the reciever.

Check the spring, and to make sure the tube doesn't have some sort of plug to restrict capacity.

It might be worth replacing the spring, if the follower is in some way deformed and that is the issue, there are plenty of aftermarket options available.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Disassemble, clean, inspect for wear, lube, and reassemble. Is it a 916 or 3000?

I would remove the spring and the follower,could be some crud in the mag tube,spray it with some bore cleaner and run a bore brush up and down it,then wipe it clean and reassemble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    By chance do you use WD40 to lube it? after a number of years it turns to a varnish. DR

First of all, wow, thanks for the quick replies. This forum is a great resource.

Secondly, it's a model 1000 and I'm going to try to work on right now.

If a detail strip and clean doesn't work look at Brownell's or Numrich Gun Parts. They will have what you need if it still doesn't run. If there's no plug in it, It may need a new mag spring or a new (aluminum works well) follower.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I've got a 20 ga S&W 1000. The magazine plug (to limit capacity) is a split pin which crosses the mag tube underneath the sleeve which attaches to the action bars. Remove the forerm and slide the bolt back until it locks, and you should be able to see whether that cross pin is prfesent or not. I'm guessing somebody lost the pin on may have driven something else in there to stay legal, and now that 'something' is jamming up the works. The mag tube is pretty thin aluminum and I never removed mine - didn't want to risk mucking it up.

Another thought is that somebody sprayed some sort of solvent into the loading end of the mag tube and it "melted" the plastic mag follower, causing it to stick. I was guilty of doing that to the piston action, and a seal deformed and slowed the action down so much the gun wouldn't shoot reliably. I left it with a trusted gunsmith who replaced the seal and gave the gun the once-over for about $50.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I don't have much as far as cleaning goes, so I just broke it down to see if I could get into the magazine chamber. Turns out I couldn't. It seems like it just needs a good cleaning inside that chamber to allow the plunger to move as it should. There's nothing in there that shouldn't be there. I guess it just got this way from not being shot for 10 years or so.

Sponsored Links