Video Review of FN FNX .45ACP - Page 2

Video Review of FN FNX .45ACP

This is a discussion on Video Review of FN FNX .45ACP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did some investigating. That gun empty weighs 3 ounces more than my all metal P220. Why such a heavy gun for a polymer frame? Still, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Video Review of FN FNX .45ACP

mkh
    Did some investigating. That gun empty weighs 3 ounces more than my all metal P220. Why such a heavy gun for a polymer frame?

Still, I would like to have one.

That's a good question, I noticed it has some "heft" to it as well. The slide seems very solid and I would think that explains it, perhaps more metal in the slide.

I own and have shot ever .45ACP semi-auto I can get my XXL hands on, and the FN FXP is right up there at the top in terms of comfort and ergonomics.

OK, word is from the FN gurus over at FNFORUM.NET is that the "heating" issue has been fully resolved, was only a problem with a very few first production FNX models.

Again, this is why I like to wait a year before buying a new model firearm, give them time to work out any/all bugs.

Kind of like computer operating systems..well, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    OK, thanks for being more clear.

I skimmed through the whole thread, seems there is nothing to it but some pretty idiotic speculations without a whole lot of substance.

This is all from over a year ago, by the way.

I am not sure who would actually ever be in a situation where they are putting 800 rounds through it at one time to begin with.

;)
    So wait, you DONT put 800 rounds through your pistols at one time?

I first noticed the problem at 300ish rounds. I'm sure the problem happened much earlier, but I was simply running mags through it one after the other. I would empty a mag, slide is back, pop another mag in, drop slide, continue firing (thus, the gun was always in single action, which worked fine). At one point I decocked it to move to a different part of the range. That first double action pull was when I noticed the problem.

I normally do not shoot like this, but it was a new gun, and I wanted to "rail the snot out of it" to make sure it could handle the work. "Rail the snot out of it" was a phrase I used when I started Autocrossing (racing around parking lots and runways through a course of cones) It referred to driving the car harder than you should. It's not advised...so it was usually used like this .... "If that guy would stop railing the snot out of it, he might get out of that corner a little faster) ....Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.....so slow is fast... I digress... Didnt mean to confuse anyone...just an expression i've used alot to describe beating something up

Thanks for the info from the other forum also... I'll be looking into it. I love that FN too much to give up on it!

I think I just posted this here, maybe not.

The FN gurus over at the FNFORUM have responded to your concern.

Bottom line: only an issue with early FNX production models. Has been resolved.

If you would like to pursue this concern further and get better info, head on over to FNFORUM.net

Good info, even though you do have to put up with a few guys who have post counts up to 10k plus who like to hang out and tell everyone who asks a question, "You should have looked it up for yourself."

Typical gun forum baloney from people who have no life.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
    That's a good question, I noticed it has some "heft" to it as well. The slide seems very solid and I would think that explains it, perhaps more metal in the slide.

I own and have shot ever .45ACP semi-auto I can get my XXL hands on, and the FN FXP is right up there at the top in terms of comfort and ergonomics.
    More metal in the slide is probably right on the money. The frame is pretty light, but that slide is hefty. It's also one of the more time-consuming guns to clean IMO. Lot's of nooks and crannies to tear up the q-tips.

I'm with you on the ergonomics. It's an extremely comfortable gun to shoot. The checkering of the grip is perfect, and I love the size/shape of the "beavertail". It sinks into the hand perfectly. I know I may get hate mail on this, but I think Glock could do right by following some of the FN's ergo's.

Oh, definitely. GLOCK is coasting on its past... just a matter of time before they are overtaken.

But....of course...the FNX .45ACP is around $650-$700, a good Glock? Considerably less.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links