Was your first gun the "wrong" gun, but ended up the "right" gun for you?

This is a discussion on Was your first gun the "wrong" gun, but ended up the "right" gun for you? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Often I see people seeking advice for their first gun purchase. The simple question of "New to guns--what should I buy?" or "What gun to ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By MamaMaria

Thread: Was your first gun the "wrong" gun, but ended up the "right" gun for you?

Often I see people seeking advice for their first gun purchase. The simple question of "New to guns--what should I buy?" or "What gun to get my wife?" is often met with advice toward a revolver, or a .22, or a Glock, or "no 1911's or SA."

My first gun was the Sig P238. I went to the gun store by myself (didn't want my husband to sway my decision, or him influence the salesperson), laid out my requirements for my purchase--concealable, defensive caliber, heavy enough to be manageable (relative to caliber choice), same trigger pull each time (no DA/SA transition), and reliable. I handled probably every snub nose revolver and compact and subcompact pistol in the store. Nothing felt quite right until I was shown a P238 Extreme--love at first sight and touch. I knew this was my gun. It ticked off all the boxes on my list, and she was dead sexy to boot!

There's some people (including my husband, at first) who think this type of gun is completely wrong for gun noobs (particularly female gun noobs). At first, I was a little downtrodden by the thought that I'd made a mistake. But as I've shot it, I've grown to love this little pistol. She's a straight shooter (when I do my part), and easy to operate and recoil is minimal. I've had little by way of malfunctions (only b/c of some Russian junk ammo I bought by mistake). I have complete confidence in this gun, and my ability to shoot it. I have no doubt this little girl will be able to put the shots where they need to go in a defensive situation.

I'm a stubborn little lady, but I research high-ticket purchases to death before making any decision, particularly firearm purchases. The P238 fulfilled all my requirements, but I was not going to say no just because it wasn't the conventional "first gun" choice. Has anyone else NOT purchased a revolver, or .22 target pistol, or a full-size 9mm as their first gun, but still ended up with the perfect gun for them?

My first handgun was an XD 40. At the time it was the right gun. I still really like it. Like you I did a lot of research, was able to hold and shoot quite a few of the choices I looked into and am still happy with the decision I made. Even with the snapiness of the round it is still a gun I like and think that it was a good purchase at the time. As I have shot more, my tastes and tolerances have changed and other things have taken priority. I do not consider it a bad buy, and plan on keeping it forever. I think it is like buying anything. You refine your experience, tastes and desires after seeing other ones analyzing what you like and what you don't.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My daughter learned to drive in a stickshift. Now she won't have anything else. If you learn to shoot with a SA semiauto, you can handle a SA semiauto. It doesn't matter what you start with if you take the time to learn to use it.

Lots of women shoot .45 and bigger (Yeah, they can do it). If the 238 is what you're comforatable with, practice, practice, practice. You won't have any problems (other than ignoring those who think it's wrong).
    lchamp and MamaMaria like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A HK P30 Variant 3. My thumb kept hitting the slide release. After looking at everything I wanted in a personal defense item the HK had it all. Light weight. Good capacity. Ambidextrous. Very ergonomic. And Uber reliable. After looking at a LEM model and realizing the slide release wasn't as big of a deal I thought it was I now have one on the way.

Another one was a Glock 27. It stayed in the safe for years until I bought some magazine extensions, crimson trace, and good holster. Now it is a daily driver.

My first handgun was a Ruger P90. It served my need for a home defense gun. When I bought it in 2004, concealed carry wasn't legal in Nebraska yet so I wasn't ever considering carrying it. It can still fill a role as an HD gun but I opt for my SR9c for hd because of 17+1 capacity.

I still love the P90 and have no plans to get rid of it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My first handgun was a Browning BDM 9mm semi-auto. I acquired it specifically for the slim nature, the full-sized format, and the ambidextrous manual safety. I thought it would be a good gun to learn on. It too a little while to break-in, fully. But it turned out to be an amazingly reliable and accurate pistol. Fairly easily concealed and carried, despite the overall length. Excellent choice, IMO. Of course, hardly any gunsmith will touch them, as apparently they are nightmares to strip/reassemble. Sold it a few years back, due to this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: Was your first gun the "wrong" gun, but ended up the "right" gun for you?

I'm not a fan of 9mm at all but came across a good deal on a Desert Eagle 9mm and originally bought it to sell for a profit. After one range trip with it, I knew I'd keep it forever.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

When I moved to Florida several years ago, all I owned were full size high cap 9mm's. Living in Illinois, I had no use for a small single stack pistol and considered them to be a
    waste of money. After I got my Concealed Weapons License, the only gun that I owned that came close to being a carry gun was a Glock 19, so that is what I started carrying. Have
    added several smaller pistols along the way much better suited to carry, but I still carry the Glock 19......so yes, my true first carry gun was actually the perfect carry gun for
    me totally by accident. Over time I've tried a lot of other pistols, but my Glock and I go way back, and it just fits my style.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Re: Was your first gun the "wrong" gun, but ended up the "right" gun for you?

Kinda funny... I did/do an annoyingly thorough job of researching gun purchases, and I first bought a Browning Bookmark with a bull barrel threaded for a suppressor that I will purchase at some point. My second pistol was a Walther PPQ, which I carry every day.

I could not be more pleased with these purchases. The 22 is accurate and fun to shoot long range... And did I mention it is cheap to shoot?

The 9 mm PPQ has made a great IDPA gun, and 9 mm is the most affordable defense caliber.

I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty happy with different choices, though.

Now it's rifle time... and guess what? I'm researching 22lr's! Why? Because they are dead accurate, fairly inexpensive, and cheap and easy to shoot.

After that, who knows...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    A HK P30 Variant 3. My thumb kept hitting the slide release. After looking at everything I wanted in a personal defense item the HK had it all. Light weight. Good capacity. Ambidextrous. Very ergonomic. And Uber reliable. After looking at a LEM model and realizing the slide release wasn't as big of a deal I thought it was I now have one on the way.
    I hadn't fully realized it until now, but your experience with the HK P30 reminds my of my husband's first gun purchase. He was also looking into the HK, it had everything he was looking for, especially for him being a south-paw, and I think I talked him out of it. I thought it was too expensive for a "first" gun, although ultimately it was his money to spend. He settled on a Beretta Px4 Storm, and while a suitable choice, I don't think he's completely satisfied. I unfairly influenced him the way I complain others may have done. I think I need to be a good wife and buy that HK P30 for my husband for Christmas, dontcha all think?
    mulle46 and rammerjammer like this.

the opposite situation with me: i bought the 'right' gun, having done LOTS of reading and research (but no shooting, partly because the gun i wanted is virtually never available for rent). i bought an H&K P7, PSP - a wonderful gun: reliable, accurate, compact. but i never got used to the squeeze cocking, and i finally sold it. now my main carry guns are Sig P-series DS/SA pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    I hadn't fully realized it until now, but your experience with the HK P30 reminds my of my husband's first gun purchase. He was also looking into the HK, it had everything he was looking for, especially for him being a south-paw, and I think I talked him out of it. I thought it was too expensive for a "first" gun, although ultimately it was his money to spend. He settled on a Beretta Px4 Storm, and while a suitable choice, I don't think he's completely satisfied. I unfairly influenced him the way I complain others may have done. I think I need to be a good wife and buy that HK P30 for my husband for Christmas, dontcha all think?
    absolutely. :)
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Links