Colt Double Eagle

This is a discussion on Colt Double Eagle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked this up from a guy that got it from his grandfather. He didn't know anything about guns so he sold off all that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dragman

Thread: Colt Double Eagle

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Colt Double Eagle

I picked this up from a guy that got it from his grandfather. He didn't know anything about guns so he sold off all that he got from him. I bought it and the price was fair so I didn't haggle or go over it much and now I have a little issue.

Problem, It is barrelled in 400 corbon and stamped from Kings custom gun works??? I know nothing about them or what this is gonna due to the value of the piece. I am not a big fan of the 400 corbon myself and don't have ammo for it so I gotta decide to I re-sale it or play with it. any info would be really helpful.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

Pictures please!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Here are some pictures, Help me decide just keep it and get used to another caliber or Flip it to the next guy who wants it.
    Attached Images
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Administrator
    I'd buy a box of ammo for it and shoot it. The .400 Cor-Bon is a doggone good self-defense caliber.

Not sure about this but you might could just install a .45 ACP barrel and bushing and switch it to .45 acp. The extractor and ejector could stay the same.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I am a HUGE 10MM fan and almost feel like I am cheating on it by playing with the Corbon hahaha.

Any other suggestions on what to do with this Colt???

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    If it is that desperately in need of a good, loving home, I will be happy to adopt it...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Excuse my ignorance on the subjects.

But can someone more in the know tell me about this particular Colt firearm and tell me about the caliber? I haven't ever heard of .400 Corbon.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post

But can someone more in the know tell me about this particular Colt firearm and tell me about the caliber? I haven't ever heard of .400 Corbon.
    the double eagle was a double action version of the 1911 (didn't go over very well) and it was availible in many calibers 400 corbon wasn't one of them. 400 corbon is a custom caliber. this gun was custom build by king custom guns in CA. he .400 corbon is a 45ACP necked down into .40 caliber.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I just happen to have a Double Eagle. I purchased it brand new back in the 80's. I've only fired about 50 rnds. through it and that was at least 20 yrs. ago. It has been a safe queen ever since. I keep it because I like the feel of it and I like the double action. Maybe some day it will be worth what I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post

.400 Corbon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Double Eagle is basically a double action 1911 platform Colt came out with years ago. It was never very popular.
    Summary- its in between the .40 and 10mm. Somebody put a ton of money into that Double Eagle to make it .400 Cor Bon.

Dragman and BadHabit

Thanks for the replies and info.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

That is a pretty unique setup. IMO I would keep it and use it for plinking and if needed home defense.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I will stick it in with the other colts for the moment (hopefully just leave it there) and on to the next toy. lol

I have a Double Eagle Officer's model S/S in 45ACP bought it brand new years ago. Paid $385 out the door. I like it. A little heavy for EDC, but functions well, good trigger and accurate.

Links