Bought the first Christmas present today!

This is a discussion on Bought the first Christmas present today! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Decided in my post election anxiety/depression to get my kids a present they will remember! I found a new S&W MP-15 with the carry handle ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By MoparNut
  • 1 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By MoparNut

Thread: Bought the first Christmas present today!

Decided in my post election anxiety/depression to get my kids a present they will remember! I found a new S&W MP-15 with the carry handle sighting system for an out the door price of $908. There is also a $100 rebate offer now from S&W for the MP15 so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I know there are probably many better AR15s out there but for me the price was right. Sure hope my kids like it! Bought an ammo can of 450 rounds of 5.56 for a stocking stuffer too! Can't wait till the day after Christmas now!!!!!
    WHEC724, darbo and Rock and Glock like this.

That's an excellent rifle from what little I've messed with it. And the carry handle style sights are excellent for learning on.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Love mine to death. M&P 15 OR MOE. Flawless action, no FTF or FTE through 2500 rounds or so, a breeze to take down and clean. I suggest you look at TAPCO 30 rnd mags, easy load, fairly inexpensive and work great.
    Your boys will love it but they may not get a chance to use it once you get your hands on it
    Last edited by 40CalCenterMass; November 8th, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added info

I have the less expensive M&P 15 Sport and it's a great gun! Probably have 2000 rounds through it now with no issues.

Very cool! I have no doubt your kids will love it.

Not to hijack this thread but this raises a question for me. I am considering an M&P 15. I know they have a bbl twist of 1:8, which falls in the middle. Can I safely assume this means that a bullet weight in the mid-range, say 62 to 72 grains is best, or is it a good enough compromise that basically any bullet weight will do well? Yes, I know it's the length that makes the difference, but bullet weight is a factor of length.

VIP Member
    Look at it this way, if the kids don't like it, you can keep it for yourself!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    DAD!!!!!!!!! Where have you been all these years. When can I expect mine?
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I have read that a barrel with a 1:8 twist is optimized for a 65 to 80 gr bullet. I have a RRA with a Wylde chamber and it also has a 1:8 twist. I have tried different bullet weights and found that 62 to 72 are most accurate for my rifle.

A friend of mine has suggested I get the EoTech HHS II. Seems pricey but he says they work for what the rifle is capable of. Any good prices out there?

Tacman, sorry son but Daddy wants a Sig 556 so you will have to wait a bit longer.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    LOL it's alright I already have one of those.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by shooter76blue View Post
    I have read that a barrel with a 1:8 twist is optimized for a 65 to 80 gr bullet. I have a RRA with a Wylde chamber and it also has a 1:8 twist. I have tried different bullet weights and found that 62 to 72 are most accurate for my rifle.
    Thanks for the information. I shot a friend's M&P 15 yesterday and it was able to get approx. MOA groups with Wally World 55gr ammo (Rem UMC 200 round "mega pack"). I was very happy with that. I will get some 62gr loads soon and give them a try. We'll see how it goes. An M&P may just be in my future yet.

What sight system did you use?

Links