Pricing used handguns

This is a discussion on Pricing used handguns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Where do you guys go if you want to find out what used handguns go for. Looking at a used revoler but I think they ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By pgrass101

Thread: Pricing used handguns

VIP Member

Pricing used handguns

Where do you guys go if you want to find out what used handguns go for. Looking at a used revoler but I think they are asking too much.

2. Remove Ads

Gunbroker is an option, it's like ebay for guns.

GunBroker's prior auctions is a good spot, IMO. (Have to be logged in, for searching the past auctions.) For relatively popular guns, it can show a decent history of recent sales. Median price from those lists can give a reasonable estimate, assuming for similar items (caliber, features). Though, for relatively rare examples, often there is little to no recent history there.
    pgrass101 and oneshot like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Gunbroker is the first place I went to also. Going to a gun auction I was wondering is there something more to keep in your hands than a smart phone that can get you on the internet. I am one of the few that do not own a smart phone and want to pay the price of the services. I was hopeing something simple to look up prices used weapon are suppose to be worth and not what they are being auctioned at at the auction. Always looking for a good deal and do not mind investing in one when one comes around but a lot of the finnal sells I seen at the auction seems to me are selling for much more than I think they are worth. Trying to know when a good deal is in front of me.

Blue book of gun values? Bit weighty to tote around an auction though...

Senior Moderator
    If you can get a listing of items before you go then use Gunbroker as stated (that's what I do). I can't help you otherwise
    oneshot likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    Yep. just be sure to search the GunBroker COMPLETED auctions in order to find out what they actually sold for.

Also remember that condition is everything and that some condition issues will always weigh heavier than others.

For instance an honest amount of holster wear to the finish of an otherwise nice firearm would be much more acceptable to a buyer than even small areas of rust pitting.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Do a simple Internet search. One thing to consider is the pistol is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it. If it ain't common pistol don't pass on it if you want it. If it is common., say something that your local gun shop sells new then consider the asking price of the one you want, if it is a private sale, add in sales tax, ffl fee, background check fee and hassle of ffl ands that should give you an answer.

VIP Member
    These are just small country auction that they have every other month. The rest of the time the building is used for horse auctions. You never know what will be in the auction till the day of the auction walk through. Sellers deliver their goods that morning. There is no background checks and no FFL dealers. Just country folks and a few collectors. What I need to do is buddy up with someone with a smart phone that has internet access. I seen guns go for some times go for what I might think go for what they were new and I'm not talking about big names guns that would go up in value. I've sold two guns at this auction losing money on an AK but making money selling a Norinco SKS. Just hopeing there was a better way to stock up on good deals if it is a good deal.

VIP Member
    You also must consider what someone is willing to pay.
    It will only be worth, whatever THAT someone who is there THAT day is willing to pay.
    It will be uunlike a GS, where a firearm may sit for months and be viewed.

I've been to car auctions( no not Barrett Jackson) where I was beginning to look at a certain car, and someone would pop in my face and say, "thats my car don't be thinkin' you gonna be bidding on MY CAR".

And damned if they didn't bid way over and above what the dang car was worth, just because they "had to have THAT one".
    And then you'd be suprised that other cars, that were in nicer shape, but maybe not THAT color, or whatever, didn't get bid on, or went cheap.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    J&G sales has some pretty good sales on used guns, I have bought a few there and been happy with them also prices on new ones were OK

armslist.com is another good place to check and see what prices things are going for. Often will post a high price and lower it after a while, so reviewing listings that are a month or two old can be helpful.

Here's another search tool for finding current auctions/FS posts, or to get an idea of prices on current listings. Searches across many web sites for listings: Elite Deal Seeker.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links