Mega failure at the range today, quite disappointing.

This is a discussion on Mega failure at the range today, quite disappointing. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my Ruger SR1911 to the range this morning for a quick tension relief session, and everything quit on round 19. The entire thing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mega failure at the range today, quite disappointing.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

I took my Ruger SR1911 to the range this morning for a quick tension relief session, and everything quit on round 19.

The entire thing just totally locked up. We could see a casing inside, but did not know if it was live or spent. Tried everything, and then had to settle for some very tense moments with a hammer to get the slide back far enough to get the casing out. It was a spent round but we had no way of knowing that until we had it open.

The slide is still totally locked, nothing is moving in any direction without the help of a hammer, and we have it back as far as it will go. So ..... off to Arizona in a box.

This would have been round 189 or 190 total through the gun, with no issues of any kind in any way shape or form until now. Same ammo for every single round.

More to follow, will know when Ruger gets it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

JD
    Administrator

Re: Mega failure at the range today, quite disappointing.

What kind of ammo?

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Factory loaded Winchester 230grain FMJ .45.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

That's disconcerting. Sorry and do please let us know how it all shakes out.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sorry for your mis-adventure. The up-side is that it's a Ruger! You have to turn over a BUNCH of rocks to find any tale about someone being disappointed with Ruger Customer Service. My Toyota (2010 Camry) sprung a water-pump leak. It's a car & that stuff happens. The GREAT part is that the company & my dealer was on top of the problem like a rat on a Cheeto! Done, no charge, sorry for the extra 45 minutes repair time after your oil change service. Ruger will treat you the same way.
    P5 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I had the EXACT same issue with a BHP, except at round #23. Sent it in and, hoping for an explanation, got it back with the notation "minor repair". Please let us know what your issue turns out to be.

If a weapon is "reliable", you shouldn't have to worry about a customer service experience in the first 200 rounds...A "good" customer service experience is related to the amount of complaints and the need to keep the customer happy by being all "kissey facey"...Obviously they get loads of experience...lol...Get a Glock next time JMO
    bigmacque likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have a Glock, I like it a lot. I have two Rugers, and sold one to a trusted friend because he wanted a good gun, so I'm very happy with Ruger.. So I can live with the potential that this is a one-time issue that Ruger will resolve and my 1911 and I will live happily ever after.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    If a weapon is "reliable", you shouldn't have to worry about a customer service experience in the first 200 rounds...A "good" customer service experience is related to the amount of complaints and the need to keep the customer happy by being all "kissey facey"...Obviously they get loads of experience...lol...Get a Glock next time JMO
    Good customer service is the ability to treat every customer with respect no matter what kind of product you make. But, if you want to turn this into a "...should have bought a Glock" thread that's cool too .

To the OP: Sorry about the 1911, hopefully it will get worked out.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Mechanical devices work - right up to the point where they don't.

Which is one of the reasons why I carry two handguns. Two is one. One is none.

I'm sure Ruger will take care of it. Good luck!

PS - I'm not into 1911s, but if I were to get one, the Ruger is one I would consider.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    Good gun from a good company.. odds are you'll be a happy camper in the end.
    bigmacque likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

The BHP failed at round 23 at that range trip, after about 1k total rounds. I don't think the OP's issue had to do with a break-in period either.

Are you new to 1911's and did you disassemble the gun prior to your range trip ?

No Sarge, I'm not new to them at all, have been around 1911's for about 30 years. This is actually the sixth one I've owned. I have stripped and cleaned the gun twice, once before I shot it all, and then again after about 100 rounds. I've gone at least 90 rounds since the last time I stripped and cleaned it.

It's back and it works.

The note from Ruger said only: "reassembled incorrectly." So I called Ruger, and they noted that the hammer strut had been knocked out of the mainspring housing. When I asked how did it fire 89 times in that condition they were not quite sure what to respond. I then explained what we had done to the pistol to free up the casing that was lodged in the chamber and they acknowledged that the hammering we did to free that casing to make the pistol safe to send it could have been the reason they found the hammer strut loose.

So .... bottom line: maybe it was put back together incorrectly, but even Ruger acknowledged that if it had been the failure should have been on round 1, not round 89. Bottom line, it works and Ruger took care of it for me.
    goldshellback likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links