Optics for an SKS?

This is a discussion on Optics for an SKS? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up one of those sight and rail combos that replace the SKS spring cover. Looks cool, but I'm finding it impractical, as every ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mossy500camo
  • 1 Post By dbglock

Thread: Optics for an SKS?

Question Optics for an SKS?

I picked up one of those sight and rail combos that replace the SKS spring cover. Looks cool, but I'm finding it impractical, as every time you clean the weapon, you have to remove the sight, thus screwing with the sight zeroing.

I'm thinking of going back to iron sights, but was hoping for some tips/advice from all the kinds folks here at Defensive Carry.

Whay Say You?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

I have a UTG Red/Green dot scope mounted on my Yugo. It has been great for about 1 year now. I think I paid about $39-$49 for it.
    mano3 likes this.

Mounted where and how?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    I am a fan of the iron sites on that rifle. If you need optics go with another rifle. Those are sure fun to shoot. I have a Russian 1954.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I have a Russian 1954.
    Me too. Izhevsk manufacture.

I think the rifle performs fine with irons, and as a collector I hate seeing old warhorses permanently modified. Dust cover and handguard mounts are prone to losing zero. The only good mounts that don't permanently reduce the gun's value, that I'm familiar with, are the scout mounts that replace the rear sight ladder. Other than that you're left with drilling and tapping for a scope mount, which will destroy any collector value it may have.

I'd say look into another rifle platform or go with the scout mount.

I agree with MrBuckWheat and Alex_C. I considered optics for my SKS and the first problem is where to mount it. The SKS has a forward mounting position, where the scope's a foot from your eye, and a more rearward, conventional location which I've heard lowers resale value, if that's a concern. And as mentioned, the iron sights and rear ladder are world-famous on this gun. I'm just a weekend hack and I can hit blaze orange clays placed on a bank from 100 yards offhand with the iron sights -- sometimes. But the dirt always flies from somewhere near it! It's just a fun gun for me, so I'm happy with the irons for what I use it for.
    mano3 likes this.

Administrator
    Well, you can do some work on the dust cover to snug it up on your firearm so that when you reinstall it your optics stay zeroed.
    Sometimes you'll need to do some careful bending, crimping, maybe even adding a bit of weld metal to the cover. It can be done though.
    The dust cover picatinny rails for the GALIL were very well well fit and kept a decent zero going back on again.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links