Defensive Carry banner

The true value of .22 firearms

7K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  archer51 
#1 ·
I'm always on the look out for my next gun purchase. Now that I have my functional gun needs met, I'm finding that my interest in .22 firearms of all types has increased drastically! I generally feel like I don't shoot as much as I would like because of cost, and I think that may be a significant factor in this recent focus. For me .22's are guilt free fun. I get as much enjoyment out of my .22's as I do my centerfire firearms, and the training value is also very high (fundamentals are fundamentals).

If cash wasn't a limiting factor, I would definitely be on a .22 buying spree. I'm particularly interested in the following.

CZ 455
Ruger SP101 .22
Ruger 10/22

What is your favorite .22 firearms? Do you have any rimfire purchases on the radar?

Thanks,
Clay

#2 ·
You hit 2 of my 3 favorites, the CZ 455 and the 10/22. The 455 is on the wish list (want one in .22 mag) but I have 5 10/22s, set up for different activities, and all 5 are improved over stock in different ways.

The .22s are just so dang enjoyable to shoot! I also have a number of .22 handguns - 2 DA revolvers, 1 SA, and 2 autoloading pistols.

For the .22 enthusiast, my personal belief is that the battery should include at least one of the following:
- an autoloading carbine - e.g., 10/22
- a revolver - Single Six, S&W J or K frame
- an accurate, adult-sized, good quality bolt action (e.g., CZ 452/455, Ruger 77/22)
- a pump or lever action repeater (BLR, Win 9422)
- an autoloading pistol (Browning Buckmark, Ruger Marks)

I'm on the lookout for an affordable 9422 with checkered stock, a 10"-barreled Ruger Mark, and possibly an original Browning T-bolt. I'd also hit on another 77/22 in .22 mag if the price was right... so I'm far from done, even with 13 rimfires already in the collection.

#3 ·
Excellent List,
I've got a Browning BR-22, it was my first gun, worked an entire summer to pay for it. I have a ruger MK II government target model, by far the most accurate handgun I own.

Once I get those last 3 I'll have your complete list! What are the .22 DA revolvers you have?

#4 ·
I have a Ruger Mk II that is fantastic. My Glenfield Model 60 may have recently bit the dust. It was loaned out for groundhog control and quit feeding and extracting reliably. I need to clean it up good and see if that works. That thing is a tack driver, I really hope I can fix it. If it does not I'll be in the market for another rifle. I'd love to have a Remington nylon 66, they just make me smile. And I'm considering the SR22 to teach my girls how to shoot a pistol.

#5 ·
I have a M63 - the 22/32 Kit Gun in stainless, with a 4" barrel (Mrs. Smitty's gun), and a M17 - the K-22 Masterpiece, with 6" barrel. A Single-Six is the SA complement to the rimfire wheelguns.

#6 ·
Don't overlook the Marlin Model 60. Add a Williams peep sight and a .45 front post and you have a very accurate semi automatic. Both of my 60's are tack drivers compared to my stock 10/22's (but I enjoy the 10/22's as well).

I have a CZ 452 ultra lux (28.5 inch barrel) that is very accurate.

For lever actions, a Browning BL-22 or a Henry H001 or a H00T. I'd love to recommend a Marlin 39, but that gun has been "undone" by the rebounding hammer (chronic light strikes) and a whimpy extractor. A shame.

My new model 63 SW revolver is extremely accurate.

So you see the problem with .22's is that you can never have just one. Or two. Or three. Or four....

#8 ·
I now carry a Ruger LCR 38sp.+P and its OK. I would and may have to carry a S&W 351c 22mag 7round cap. 11oz revolver. I think the Smith could make an awful mess if you were on the the wrong end of it. I'm 71 now and the 38 hurts to shoot I can handle the 22mag no problem, so as things evolve we shall see.

Rich

#9 ·
Excellent choices for .22 fun.

Please consider modifying one of your choices. Ruger has recently brought out their 10/22 in a TAKEDOWN model. It is sweet!
It comes in a very well thought out carrying case with a sling.

The takedown choice allows you to store this little beauty in a smaller space.

There are just a lot of features for this very worthy choice; look it up on the web, you are going to like what you see!

#11 ·
I had an H&R 922 that dropped a lot of small game in its day, but now I only have my old Win 72 and a conversion kit for my Glock 30, which works very well I might say. I definitely put a good .22 on the "survival" gun list.

#12 ·
Love owning and shooting .22s and need more of 'em.

My favorites here among the .22 rifles on hand are:

Winchester Model 1890 pump
U. S. Springfield Model 1922
Winchester Model 57

Favorite handguns:

Smith & Wesson Model 17 K-22
Colt Woodsman Target 1st Series

Want to add some or all of the following:

Rifles
Winchester Model 52
Winchester Model 63
CZ 455
Remington Model 24/241
Marlin Model 39

Hanguns
Smith & Wesson Model 41
Smith & Wesson Model 18
Smith & Wesson Model 34
Colt Officer's Model Match
Colt Diamondback

#18 ·
I dearly love my grandfather's 1890, and it's in very good condition. The two things that keep me from shooting it more are its .22 Long chambering and the peened chamber from too much dry firing over the years. I occasionally trip over bricks of .22 Long, but I hesitate to have the chamber damage addressed - don't know if it'll do mare harm than good. But what a great, fun gun!

Bryan, your RF collection sounds like a national treasure... a Model 52 and a Diamondback .22 alone get my juices flowing!

#14 ·
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
I plink with a Ruger Mark II. This is the first gun I pull out when I get to the range. I get use to the sounds of the range and get a bit of paper practice before I use my carry. After the carry practice I pull out the Mark II again. It is a great gun to shoot and I have great fun lol. Cheap to shoot too. I enjoy my time at the range each week and because this gun is accurate and cheap to shoot I can have fun longer :0) Wish I shot as well with every other gun as I shoot with this one lol.

I call this gun my Coyote gun. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a coyote if it came in the back yard after my little shih tzu's. It would be against the law to discharge a firearm in city limits but I am sure the threat to my dogs would be gone.

#15 ·
I'm always on the look out for the next rimfire! Al tho not in the same sense as some would think, a 22 rimfire pistol has been my SD pistol of choice for a lot of years. its my carry gun while I weed whack, or ride the tractor. I carry with shorts or recently CCI Quiets. When the need arises I dont always have ear protection available. DR

#16 ·
This is something I have often thought about. I have never shot without ear protection. If I ever need, I pray I never do, to shoot my gun is the sound going to distract me? I have no idea what gun shots sound l like without ear protection except those we hear from hunters off in the distance.

#24 ·
I have been in the market for a 1911 in .22. Just haven't "pulled the trigger". After a Shield for the wife...

Reactions: QKShooter
#30 ·
When you're old it's only natural that you've owned & shot a LOT of .22 rifles & pistols. I still have several with some sentimental value. But if I'm going shooting, nothing matches my Volquartsen factory rifles.
I have been in the market for a 1911 in .22. Just haven't "pulled the trigger".
One, single word solves your 1911/.22 pistol quandary. "Marvel", just ask anyone who owes one.

#26 ·
Up close and personal (< 100 meters scoped long rifle or < 15 meters for a pistol), and if it is what you have, I will count on my .22 for well aimed shots. Granted, that is probably more than one well aimed shot to have desired effects on the Tango. And I am talking about the hottest grain LR frag type. But lead will do.

#27 ·
I've got around a dozen .22's and I like them all.
I recently got a CZ 455 that is different from all others.
It has a Thompsom Machine Integrally Suppressed barrel on it. Its so new that I havent scoped it yet, but I will.
Serial No. 002.
It's that new.

#28 ·
I have Ruger MKIII Target Model, an SP101 22LR and have access to a 10/22 amongst other 22lr rifles. I don't plan on buying anymore 22 firearms anytime soon but I love shooting them just for cost reasons.

Back when I started shooting pistols my first gun was a Ruger P90 45ACP. I soon learned how expensive that is to shoot so I had to add a 22. Every gun guy should have some sort of 22, a revolver and a 1911. I'm just short the 1911 now.

Reactions: QKShooter
#31 ·
Let's see...for long guns, we have a Ruger 10/22 and a M77/22 bolt gun. Sold a Remington Nylon 66 when money was tight - wish I had it back. :frown:

For handguns...have an old Iver Johnson "Sealed Target 8" revolver that is a hoot to shoot, even if the sights suck. And an Advantage Arms conversion for the Glock 19. Sold off a Ruger Mk II Target pistol - liked to shoot it, but disassembly and cleaning was a pain. The SP101 revolver in .22 is on my radar...

Been stocking up on .22 LR ammo lately. While it is still relatively affordable...

#32 ·
I bought my grandson the Ruger 10/22 takedown as his first gun. I want to instill the importance of gun safety to him, he has been after me to shoot my Glock 9mm, he isn't ready for that yet. I did recently purchase a Phoenix Arms .22 pistol for $150.00, will be a xmas gift. I haven't shot it yet but hear it is great for the price. Does anyone have one ? and what is your experience with it ?

#33 ·
Here are a few that I own and all are solid. They are not in order!

1. Ruger MIII with threaded barrel- great little shooter!
2. Ruger 10/22- Mine is pretty custom and is a blast to shoot
3. S&W M&P 15-22- what can you say, the sucker is very reliable and it's like shooting an AR for nothing
4. Savage MKIIFVSR with threaded barrel and accutrigger- frankly this gun is a tack driver and easily out shoots my 800.00 Ruger 10/22 any day of the week. It comes with a a fluted threaded barrel, accutrigger, and pica-tinny rail. I got this for 230.00 and it maybe the best valued firearm I have purchased in quite some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.