9mm Ammo problem - Page 2

9mm Ammo problem

This is a discussion on 9mm Ammo problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did you try rechambering the round to see if it would fire with a second firing pin strike,some guns have weaker strikers than others and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Did you try rechambering the round to see if it would fire with a second firing pin strike,some guns have weaker strikers than others and if the primer cup is a little harder man not get the impact against the anvil on the first hit to set the primer off.
    We ran into a bunch of Primers when Tula bought out Wolf,the outer primer case was the same,but 1000 count boxes of primers had the Tula markings,we had several FTFires that required second hits,the old primers were brass colored,the new primers that seem to ignite pretty much 100% are nickel colored,problem is I have about 20,000 of the older Tula primers I gotta load and shoot my way thru
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    ...Just switch to another brand of ammunition and continue as before.
    Or buy your ammo from someplace that doesn't also sell low-cost toilet paper.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Try different brands to see what your gun likes the best. I have 9mm ammo problems alot I always seem to run out to quick. lol

I have shot over 9000 rounds of winchester ammo from walmart without a problem. Am I the only one? I doubt it. Both 9mm and 40cal.

Re: 9mm Ammo problem

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    I have shot over 9000 rounds of winchester ammo from walmart without a problem. Am I the only one? I doubt it. Both 9mm and 40cal.
    I buy all my range ammo at Walmart because it's cheaper. Never had a problem.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    When Walmart buys from Winchester It comes off the same production line as all there other ammo. The only difference could be in the packaging. [ some have Walmart's name on the label.] From time to time tho Ive had problems with batches of hard primers. Some years back it was Federal, this time its Winchester. DR

My wifes SR9c had the same problem. Light primer srrikes with both WWB and Critical Defense. Seems some of these guns had issues. I contacted Ruger who had me ship the firearm back to them on there dime, where they replaced the Striker assembly. No more issues since. Great customer service. If your problem persist, contact Ruger. Good Luck.

I buy lots of Ammo from Wally World. Depending on what I am shooting I buy evrything from the cheap stuff to the expensive in practically every brand they carry. Maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't had any problems with their Ammo.

A very close friend of mine, who happens to be a reloading/gun expert, said to tell you he isn't buying into the firing pin pushing the shell into the chamber explanation.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

My son and I have had problems with 100 count white box winchester 9's. His gun is currently at S&W for checking. I consider it ok for range practice as long as I don't have too many failures, good practice for just in case scenario. No problems with other brands of range rounds. I keep Hydra Shok JHP in my sd magazine at all times.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    You can say whatever you like about Walmart Winchester ammo, but I had issues with two boxes of it, and when I called Sprinco to return the guide rod, he asked if that was the exact ammo I used.. he already knew the problem. Apparently that ammo is a weak load, and it's a fairly well-kknown issue with the ammo. It's not just one or two people having this problem. If you don't have a really heavy recoil spring in your gun, you may not have any issues using it. If you do have a heavy spring, like in some Kahr handguns, and my PPQ with the Sprinco, use warmer loads.

While I readily admit to not being an expert, I would think that any cartridge pushing into the chamber enough to interfere with primer ignition would have a serious headspace problem. Or, the cartridge length is too short.

Mr. Mac

9mm Ammo problem

I almost always use Walmart's WWB ammo for training sessions. My G19 has not ONCE had a problem with the1,000+ rds I've ran through it.

I guess it's possible that you got a hold of a box of lemons, but it could also be a "light striking" issue.

Try a wide variety of ammo over several months and see what you think.

Did you buy the SR9c new and did you clean it well before taking it out?

When I first got mine I cleaned everything except removing the striker mechanism and cleaning it and I also overlubed unintentionally. I had 2 light strikes with WWB the first 2 times I loaded the 17 round mag. After that session I cleaned it well making sure not to overlube and shot at least 400 more rounds before having 1 more light strike which was Tula. I've shot a few hundred more since that with no malfunctions. Altogether I've used WWB, Federal, Remingtom FMJ and JHP, Winchester FMJ, and TulAmmo. All were 115 grain. I carry Remington JHP right now and am confident in them. I just picked up a box of Winchester 147 grain JHP to try out.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I've used Blazer Brass and American Eagle so far for all my semi-auto ammo, both 9mm and .380. Never had a single problem with either.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I use winchester white box all the time also and never had any issue's either...(used in glock, sig, FNP, Kimber, Tarrus, Berreta) I always buy cheap ammo for the range load the good stuff to carry....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links