9mm Ammo problem

9mm Ammo problem

This is a discussion on 9mm Ammo problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got the wife a Ruger SR9C today and we took it to the range. I happen to like the SR series of rugers, we have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Ammo problem

9mm Ammo problem

Got the wife a Ruger SR9C today and we took it to the range. I happen to like the SR series of rugers, we have 3 of them now. Here is the problem. I had Winchester 9mm and Remington 9mm fmj. When we shot the Winchester there were several times that we had a fail to fire. Kept the pistol pointed down range for about 30 second, dropped the mag and ejected the round in the chamber. The primer was struck. This happened several times with the Winchester. The remington 9mm fired flawlessly. The Range owner told me that the Winchester stuff, I got it at wallys world was no good because of the crimping of the shell casing where it meets the round (ballons out a bit) and that what happens when it loads a round after firing and ejecting, the round does not completely load and that the firing pin strikes the primer but because the shell isn't all the way into the chamber the firing pin merely pushes it in a bit further and still leaves a dimple in the primer. I could plainly see a marked difference in the construction of the wallys world winchester ammo and the remington umc ammo. Like I said, not a problem with the remington stuff. Has anybody else had this problem with wallys winchester 9mm. Could anything be wrong with the SR9C that it won't always fire the winchester or is it more than likely the ammo. If the ammo, what should I do with it? Will other 9's fire it fine?

VIP Member
    I've had the same problem with WWB in 9mm. I have had it happen with several different guns.

Just switch to another brand of ammunition and continue as before.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

glad I didn't buy any winchester 9mm from wally world the other day for my wife's sr9c.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I've had the same problem with WWB in 9mm. I have had it happen with several different guns.

Just switch to another brand of ammunition and continue as before.
    Thanks RoadRunner...glad I don't have to throw the gun out the window. Like I said the remington fired without a hiccup.

I guess my concern is that the winchester stuff from wallys world creates a dangerous situation when the primer is struck but doesn't fire. Glad it ain't the gun.

JNC
    I ran through 2 boxes of 100 of the wally world winchester 9mm last week. My XD had no problems. My friend's Glock had several fail to fire with same batch.

Distinguished Member
    I'm a bit of an ammo snob and pretty particular about what ammo I'll buy/use.
    While I used to carry Winchester Silver Tips in my DW .357, I no longer buy any Winchester ammo... The handful of failures I've had in the past just turned me off the brand. I'm not saying they don't make some good stuff... They're just no longer on Whoppo's approved vendor list.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I only use Hornady Critical Defense and in the Ruger LC9 and the Ruger 380 have never had the first problem......stay away from any walmart ammo....heard lots of problems with what they carry.

I have put expensive ammo and cheap ammo through my sr9c and I have never had a problem. I use cheap 10.99 a box for 50 blazer to target practice with lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Re: 9mm Ammo problem

Just went through a 100 box of Federal FMJ & a 100 box of Winchester white box yesterday with no fail to fires in a PPS 9 and SR9C. (Had a few feed issues but didn't appear to be the Ammo's fault as it was only when the Wife shot the Ruger.)

I have shot every 9mm brand of WW ammo they sell and never had a problem with my XDMc... Sounds to me like a gun issue... since some guns seem to eat anything and others are very particular... to me that is a very bad thing... imagine a BG busting in your home and you are using something your gun does not like...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    I have shot every 9mm brand of WW ammo they sell and never had a problem with my XDMc... Sounds to me like a gun issue... since some guns seem to eat anything and others are very particular... to me that is a very bad thing... imagine a BG busting in your home and you are using something your gun does not like...
    If I know my gun wont eat it then why would I have that ammo around the house?
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

mkh
    I've had a few issues with WWB in .45 but not in other calibers. His explanation of pushing the round into the chamber using the firing pin sounds bogus. More than likely just a hard primer.

Re: 9mm Ammo problem

I've never had any issues with WWB.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    Got the wife a Ruger SR9C today and we took it to the range. I happen to like the SR series of rugers, we have 3 of them now. Here is the problem. I had Winchester 9mm and Remington 9mm fmj. When we shot the Winchester there were several times that we had a fail to fire. Kept the pistol pointed down range for about 30 second, dropped the mag and ejected the round in the chamber. The primer was struck. This happened several times with the Winchester. The remington 9mm fired flawlessly. The Range owner told me that the Winchester stuff, I got it at wallys world was no good because of the crimping of the shell casing where it meets the round (ballons out a bit) and that what happens when it loads a round after firing and ejecting, the round does not completely load and that the firing pin strikes the primer but because the shell isn't all the way into the chamber the firing pin merely pushes it in a bit further and still leaves a dimple in the primer. I could plainly see a marked difference in the construction of the wallys world winchester ammo and the remington umc ammo. Like I said, not a problem with the remington stuff. Has anybody else had this problem with wallys winchester 9mm. Could anything be wrong with the SR9C that it won't always fire the winchester or is it more than likely the ammo. If the ammo, what should I do with it? Will other 9's fire it fine?
    I bought some of that 100 round box Winchester crap 9mm ball ammo at Wal-Mart, too. I used it in my Walther PPQ with a Sprinco recoil reduction guide rod and spring, and I had failures to feed about 1 or 2 rounds per 15 round magazine. That ammo is absolute garbage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links