First pistol, three options

This is a discussion on First pistol, three options within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i have to agree buy what you want even if it takes you another months or so to get the money together... unless you want ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First pistol, three options

i have to agree buy what you want even if it takes you another months or so to get the money together... unless you want to buy more than one gun
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

2. Remove Ads

The first gun I bought was a .40. My thinking at the time was that it was a good halfway starting point between 9mm and .45 acp. I felt like it was a good platform to learn on. Looking back I would not change that. It made the 9mm easier to shoot and made the .45 less intimidating. Why I was intimidated idk, size maybe? I am willing to be that you will own both so I would not fret about the choice too much. I probably won't buy another .40 because ballistics wise they are getting very similar. The exception would be a gun that I really like that only came in .40. Does the M&P come in a .45????

Just saw that it does! And .357 sig too! uh oh!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Re: First pistol, three options

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    cool. this debate again.
    Especially when it wasn't even put forth as an option...

I have 2 M&P's, 9mm and .45. I'd go with option #2 to start. Both of mine are the compact model and they are very accurate and easy to shoot.
    The day the music died - Nov 6, 2012

The nice thing about my Sig P250 I can change calibers. I have both 9mm which it came with, and 40S&W and it takes about 30 seconds to make the changes - Change the magazine and change the slide assembly. The grip and trigger assembly are universal.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

That's my question to the OP...............yup............this debate again.........why not a .45acp.......much better.....IMO.

If you like the .40, then get it! Simple as that. I was debating between the Glock 26 and 27, but I ultimately liked the .40 caliber better, so I got the 27.

OP, how would you complete this sentence? I want or need a .40 caliber pistol rather than a 9mm because...
    Last edited by chasbo00; November 11th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

First pistol, three options

Nothing wrong with 9. It's cheaper to shoot and typically the gun is quicker to get back on target. Get some trigger time on your 9 and then rent the 40 version.

I would go with option number 2, like you stated ammo is less expensive, and contrary to what many people say their is nothing wrong with a 9mm --- I don't want to be shot with one.

M&p 9mm range carry kit, you cannot go wrong. My wife and I bought them and we both enjoy them. I now have a shield 9mm I enjoy having everything the same caliber. I hope that I will never need it, but if I do, I would not want to be on the opposite end of a 9mm! plus my 4.25 is +p rated, so you can get extra power if you feel you need it!

#2 - I love my M&P9, the difference in ammo cost is an issue with a range gun, and the difference between 9mm +p and .40 is negligible at the receiving end.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

with the advancement of modern bullet technology, there is little difference in the ballistics of a 147gr 9mm and 180gr 40SW. Either will serve you well as both a range gun and self defense carry weapon. I'm basically a Glock guy, but if they all went away tomorrow, I'd carry one of these:

yz9890 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links