Gun safe a bad idea? - Page 3

Gun safe a bad idea?

This is a discussion on Gun safe a bad idea? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; - Agent is probably taking a story she heard and running it with her fears. A gun safe is never a bad investment, in that ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Gun safe a bad idea?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Agent is probably taking a story she heard and running it with her fears.

A gun safe is never a bad investment, in that it will at the very least cause the perp to spend more time in your home (if they're real greedy), increasing the likelyhood of them getting caught. Thieves don't like spending any more time in your home than they absolutely have to.

The alternative, as you've recently learned, is more easily stolen firearms on the street.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

StarPD45
    I hope you had all of the serial numbers recorded. At least then if they are found, it will be known they were stolen.
    Who knows? You might even get some of them back. Stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    We have had several break-ins in our neighborhood with similar MO's. The bad guy or guys know which people leave for work and when. Almost immediately after the last person leaves the house, the crooks back a van into the driveway, kick in the front door, take what ever they can find quickly and are gone in a matter of minutes. This has been going on for several years and no one has yet been caught. I have a gun safe but we are getting ready to move.
    This has happened already and nobody has secure enough doors that can't be kicked in? or cameras outside/inside, or alarms, or mean dogs, or neighbors that notice anything, or homeowners that only pretend to leave and then come home again, or police stakeouts or patrols? (ok, that last one is just wishful thinking)

Quote Originally Posted by proliance View Post
    Tuesday my home was broken into and all my handguns were stolen. In one of my conversations with my insurance agent, I mentioned that instead of replacing all of my handguns at once I may buy a gun safe. Her reply surprised me, but she is speaking from experience.

She said that a burgler will break into your home during the day when you're not home and steal your valuables. But if they know you have a safe they will break into your home while you are there and do what it takes to force you to open the safe. So if you have a gun safe (or safe of any sort) you have to keep it hidden.

In my 2 story condo I can't get a safe upstairs and keeping it hidden will prove very difficult. Any suggestions?
    Modular safe so you can easily carry the pieces upstairs and everyone will think you just went to IKEA for some cheap furniture. SnapSafe has a fire rating.

Just in case she's right, get a good handgun safe to mount near your bed. When awake, carry!

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    We have had several break-ins in our neighborhood with similar MO's. The bad guy or guys know which people leave for work and when. Almost immediately after the last person leaves the house, the crooks back a van into the driveway, kick in the front door, take what ever they can find quickly and are gone in a matter of minutes. This has been going on for several years and no one has yet been caught. I have a gun safe but we are getting ready to move.
    Sounds familiar! The thief is probably living right there in your neighborhood (or has a friend or family member that does). They tend to target homes without alarms. We are pretty sure we know who broke into our home (and the sheriff's dept was too), but nothing could be proven. When a certain family of n'er-do-wells in our neighborhood finally moved, the property crimes magically stopped.

I was speaking to the security company that handles my employer's business recently and was told that there are some really great options available in conjunction with home alarm systems now at a surprisingly reasonable cause. Namely, installing a digital camera on the motion alarm within your home. When the motion alarm is triggered, the camera automatically sends an alert and video footage to your smart phone so you can either cancel the alarm, or summon the police and provide a description of the perp. He said that the motion alarms are made so that pets will not set them off.

Sadly, I don't know of any place to live nowadays where there's no worry about burglaries...
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I agree with the poster who said "get a new insurance agent"! She is an idiot! And carry at home. I never did until I joined this forum a bit over three years ago and saw a post where someone mentioned that 100% of home invasions occur at home! Duh! Since then I have always carried at home or had a gun within arms reach (like when I'm in bed or in the shower. Kinda hard to carry there, but I have one within arms reach.) A dog and an alarm system aren't a bad idea either. And get the safe!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Most burglaries are done by some one you know. Perhaps it was some of the former inmates you mentioned in a earlier post from your former job. IMy dog and i are pretty selective on who i let into my residence.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I have a gun safe where casual visitors won't see it and I home carry.

Quote Originally Posted by proliance View Post
    Tuesday my home was broken into and all my handguns were stolen. In one of my conversations with my insurance agent, I mentioned that instead of replacing all of my handguns at once I may buy a gun safe. Her reply surprised me, but she is speaking from experience.

She said that a burgler will break into your home during the day when you're not home and steal your valuables. But if they know you have a safe they will break into your home while you are there and do what it takes to force you to open the safe. So if you have a gun safe (or safe of any sort) you have to keep it hidden.

In my 2 story condo I can't get a safe upstairs and keeping it hidden will prove very difficult. Any suggestions?
    I agree with Waldon, about home carry. As for the safe, I'm not sure that you would want to try to get it up the stairs but how about using the stairs to you advantage and placing the safe under the stairs and then place a false panel in front of it so that it appears to not be there.then have a smaller single of double safe that you use near the bedside or however you you work it. another idea would be to use the stairs as a way to conceal you weapons and or valuables by having one or more made up so that you can access the space under the step or steps as a hiden compartment. just a couple of ideas thrown in. food for thought. Sorry to here about the break in.
    pir8fan likes this.

Whoever tells you that a gun safe is a bad idea is an idiot. Period.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

I have two BMW's in the driveway. Using this logic I should sell them and buy a couple old Chevy Cavaliers so nobody sees them and breaks in demanding my keys!
    Seriously, that may be the stupidest thing I have ever read.

BTW- buy a real safe and have it installed correctly. I promise you nobody is "cracking" my safe and unless they have a crane they are not stealing my safe.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

A small safe with a removable door, even something with some weight like a Sturdy, should be manageable with a dolly and a couple of friends. I finally broke down and bought a safe (Sturdy BTW) this last summer and am so glad I did. I always worried about “that day”... now not so much.

Get several smaller safes.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    I have two BMW's in the driveway. Using this logic I should sell them and buy a couple old Chevy Cavaliers so nobody sees them and breaks in demanding my keys!
    Seriously, that may be the stupidest thing I have ever read.

BTW- buy a real safe and have it installed correctly. I promise you nobody is "cracking" my safe and unless they have a crane they are not stealing my safe.
    I'd sell the Beemers and get the Chevys just to afford more guns! Really, a car is a car, but a gun . . . !
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    Get several smaller safes.
    See, now I would *totally* have a half dozen safes in the house and put a sticker on each of them --

"Two of the safes in this house contain valuables and the rest are rigged with various "surprises" that are triggered if tampered with - Good luck and see (what's left of) you soon!"
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links