Gun safe a bad idea?

This is a discussion on Gun safe a bad idea? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tuesday my home was broken into and all my handguns were stolen. In one of my conversations with my insurance agent, I mentioned that instead ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Gun safe a bad idea?

Gun safe a bad idea?

Tuesday my home was broken into and all my handguns were stolen. In one of my conversations with my insurance agent, I mentioned that instead of replacing all of my handguns at once I may buy a gun safe. Her reply surprised me, but she is speaking from experience.

She said that a burgler will break into your home during the day when you're not home and steal your valuables. But if they know you have a safe they will break into your home while you are there and do what it takes to force you to open the safe. So if you have a gun safe (or safe of any sort) you have to keep it hidden.

In my 2 story condo I can't get a safe upstairs and keeping it hidden will prove very difficult. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

Get a safe and home carry. If you are really getting scouted that closely, then you may want to consider putting bars on your windows and getting a dog.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

That has to be the most ridiculous safe rational I have ever heard. First if possible get a monitored alarm like ADT. Second how would a common burglar know you had a safe? Third if they do break in while you are home your primary insurance Co. Smith and Wesson should be able to take care of that.

My advice would be to buy the largest/heavyest safe you can get on your second floor. Some type of alarm is important as well. The only reason I could see not to get a safe is if you can only get a small light safe the one or two people could pick up and walk out with with. Your insurance adjuster is wrong on all accounts.
    bmcgilvray, MrsHB, darbo and 5 others like this.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Assuming you own the condo, and you are allowed to do minor interior modifictions, I recommend a couple of smaller in wall safes. Especially if you are just concerned with securing handguns and cash.

Something like these: Wall Safes

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    ALSO - Get an alarm!

I would challenge your agent to provide you with documentable evidence. I think she's making stuff up as she goes.

First off, how would a random burglar even know you have a safe before they break in?
    SIGguy229 and JDE101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by proliance View Post
    Tuesday my home was broken into and all my handguns were stolen. In one of my conversations with my insurance agent, I mentioned that instead of replacing all of my handguns at once I may buy a gun safe. Her reply surprised me, but she is speaking from experience.

She said that a burgler will break into your home during the day when you're not home and steal your valuables. But if they know you have a safe they will break into your home while you are there and do what it takes to force you to open the safe. So if you have a gun safe (or safe of any sort) you have to keep it hidden.

In my 2 story condo I can't get a safe upstairs and keeping it hidden will prove very difficult. Any suggestions?

Ignore your agent, she's an idiot. (hopefully she's not relative)
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

How they targeted you is a question you will have to analyze in your own mind.
    I could give you a ton of advice about how you could have been profiled, but since it's after the fact
    it's pointless.

Remember, they now know you had "good stuff" and know you will replace it with
    more "good stuff". Their "friends" know too.
    They WILL be back.
    Harden your entrances, get an alarm, a safe, and attempt to make yourself less predictable/conspicuous.
    Or move.

Dakota, Snap Safe, and Zanotti are three that come to mind that would work for you. They are modular and can be carried up piece by piece to the 2nd floor, no one would even know you had a safe delivered. Offer fire protection and I am sure some of the other guys can think of a few more companies that offer modular safes as well.

Lots of good advice here. Especially the bit about home carry. What? Home carry? Absolutely! If someone comes in fast (not that they should be able to if you harden up the entrances as one poster suggests) I wouldn't want to have to run to the bedroom or up or down stairs. I want to be right there to 'welcome' them to my home and remind them that the doors were locked for their protection, not mine. I've also got lots of No Trespassing signs up to firm up my self-defense case. I want judge and jury to know I did everything I could to be clear and to keep them out. The No Trespassing signs actually have helped decrease the exploratory "Oh, sorry, I turned down the wrong drive," events by at least 90%.

Regarding the safe, if you've got a big ole safe like mine, they're gonna need 2, maybe 3 guys and about 45 minutes to move the dang thing. Now that I get thinking about it, I'm probably gonna bolt mine to the floor, but I like the wall safe ideas, too.

Anyway, I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience. Best wishes getting past this and on to better days.

Gav

Distinguished Member
    I have a safe, an alarm, and 4 dogs. An 870HD shotty nearby. I feel reasonably secure. I would shop around for another ins. agt.

sorry about your guns bro
    darbo likes this.

"But if they know you have a safe they will break into your home while you are there and do what it takes to force you to open the safe."

Take that insurance agent's advice to it's extreme logical conclusion and you will be removing the locks from your front door so you won't be "forced" when the evildoers come to take your things.

"...but she is speaking from experience."

No, she really isn't.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The agent hopes you won't buy anymore guns, thus reducing the risk of payout from her company.
    ws76133 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "But if they know you have a safe they will break into your home while you are there and do what it takes to force you to open the safe."

Take that insurance agent's advice to it's extreme logical conclusion and you will be removing the locks from your front door so you won't be "forced" when the evildoers come to take your things.

"...but she is speaking from experience."

No, she really isn't.
    In FL you'd have to leave the door standing open as eventhe act of opening a closed but unlocked door is "forced" entry.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links