1911 Basics

1911 Basics

This is a discussion on 1911 Basics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I need a basic lesson in 1911 firearms. I know the very basics in that it was designed by John Browning and made famous ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Doodle
  • 2 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By uscarry45
  • 1 Post By lchamp
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By deadguy
  • 1 Post By The Old Anglo
  • 1 Post By BigCityChief

Thread: 1911 Basics

1911 Basics

So I need a basic lesson in 1911 firearms. I know the very basics in that it was designed by John Browning and made famous by Colt. I am interested in a modern 1911 and overwhelmed by the choices. I realize everyone has their favorite manufacturer and prices can go from little to unimaginable.

What are the specific characteristics you would look for and why is better than another?

Is their a preference between the internal versus external extractor?

Will I use an ambidextrous safety / do you ever use yours?

Thanks

OD or JD paging OD or JD!
    daveb413 and msgt/ret like this.

I just purchased a Remington R1 1911 .45 5" at the Tulsa Gun Show for $650 (total cost) so far I like it a lot but I haven't got to shoot it yet, maby tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by uscarry45 View Post
    So I need a basic lesson in 1911 firearms. I know the very basics in that it was designed by John Browning and made famous by Colt. I am interested in a modern 1911 and overwhelmed by the choices. I realize everyone has their favorite manufacturer and prices can go from little to unimaginable.

What are the specific characteristics you would look for and why is better than another?

Thanks
    I have ambidextrous safeties and I use them all the time. I also have the extended safety levers; makes it much more comfortable. My extractor is internal, I'm not sure how I would feel about an external... food for thought.

I would recommend a Rock Island Armory, a Springfield Armory, or- the best of the best- Colt. Kimber's are nice, but expensive for something you might possibly decide you hate. I haven't had much luck with the Taurus 1911. The RIA is probably the best 'entry level' 1911. Heard of a lot of people building them into something more custom.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

mkh
    I had a Taurus 1911 with an ambi safety but I felt like it stuck out too much. I also don't like how easy it ws to snick safety off.

Now I have a Sig 1911 Ultra and I love it. External extractor and no ambi.
    Last edited by mkh; November 11th, 2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

JD
    Administrator

Thanks

Regarding the parts in bold:
    1: Desired Characteristics: It's all very personal, what I may like could be very different than what someone else likes or needs.
    2: Yes and no, some will like them, some will hate them...not all external extractors are created equal.
    3: Maybe yes, maybe no. What do you plan on doing with the gun? If you plan on doing and IDPA or attending some more advanced training, you may want the ambi safety.

This is a long piece I wrote on 1911s, book mark it and read over it when you can.

Guns, Guns, & More Gosh Darn Guns: 1911 Buyer's Reference Guide - Revised 2012-06-16

As for specific characteristics...

I'll go with the proverbial:

A good trigger you can manage, sights you can see and a de-horning job.

To that I would add a beaver tail grip safety and elongated thumb safety.

That to me is the bare bones requirements.

I prefer steel framed guns. and a host of other specifics, most of which can be seen here: I Am Proud to Present My Nighthawk Custom Talon Bob-Rail

It all depends on how much you plan on doing with the gun and what do you want to spend.

But again, what's X vs. Y is going to be totally subjective.

A 5" gull frame gun is going to be less ideal as a discreet carry gun and a 3" Small frame gun is going to less ideal than a home defense gun etc.

JD thanks for the article great read. Thanks again
    JD likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Ditto. I'm new enough to have not seen that before.
    JD likes this.

Re: 1911 Basics

Agreed. Excellent read. I've never been a big 1911 fan (aside from their looks) but lately I've been kicking around the idea of getting one and seeing if that changes. More than likely will go with an RIA for my first. Read a lot of good things about them And affordable incade I decide I don't like it. Affordable matters because I don't sell guns I buy, no matter what.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    JD likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Excellent guide from JD.

This link is also a great reference when selecting a 1911. Brian covers many models in different price ranges for those unfamiliar with what is out there.

Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts......
    JD likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I would suggest that if your just getting into 1911's and not sure if your gonna like it,if you buy a RIA 1911 that can be had for around $400 ish,if you decide it's not for you you can very likely resale without losing any money,here is a list of RIA 1911's ans some are even 9mm.Scroll down to second from the last page.
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/5-20-12_1-8.pdf
    Also the following site
    Armscor
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    RIA`s Rock,some of mine at under $500 eacs.All are EDC reliable. . All in 45ACP.
    blitzburgh likes this.

I don't want to break any Forum rules by recommending another handgun forum, but I can highly recommend the 1911 Forum (1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin) if you are new to the 1911 platform. There is a wealth of information contained there and helpful information for a person wanting to purchase their first 1911. There are sub-forums specific to each manufacturer of 1911's so you can ask folks interested in a particular 1911 questions you might have regarding a specific pistol. I purchased my first 1911 (Colt Lightweight Commander) in 2011 during the centennial of the design. The 1911 is a beautiful pistol and mine fits my hand perfectly. They can become a very expensive addiction......

To me the extractor is irrelevant as long as you have proven reliability with said pistol by firing more than just a box or two of ammo. For a personal defense tool I do prefer ambidextrous safety in the case of a 1911- otherwise NO safety. That is just less movement you have to do when the SHTF. There are documented cases of people getting shot in their dominant hand. That would make using a non-ambidextrous tool very difficult.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Excellent guide from JD.

This link is also a great reference when selecting a 1911. Brian covers many models in different price ranges for those unfamiliar with what is out there.

Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts......
    Thank you JD and deadguy: a most informative post - loved the Buyer's Guide!!
    JD likes this.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Links