Help me choose a rimfire handgun.

This is a discussion on Help me choose a rimfire handgun. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been perusing the threads on here about rimfires, but they are pretty saturated with rifle pics/recs. I am not looking for a rifle. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help me choose a rimfire handgun.

Help me choose a rimfire handgun.

I've been perusing the threads on here about rimfires, but they are pretty saturated with rifle pics/recs. I am not looking for a rifle. I live in a little studio in the city. I don't want to deal with the size and storage, and lugging it to the range. I want a nice, fun, relatively inexpensive .22LR semi-auto handgun for target practice and fun.

Here are some that I've been looking at, plus the price ranges they appear to be going for on Gunbroker:
    S&W Model 22A ($230-325)
    Ruger Mark III ($300-400)
    Browning Buckmark ($330-500)

I'd honestly like to keep it pretty cheap as it's just for fun....

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

2. Remove Ads

I recently bought an M&P 22 and love it.

VIP Member
    I have a Ruger Mark II that I've had for about 30 years. Same basic gun as the Mark III. Quality built, and reliable. Well worth the money.
    pir8fan and 1 old 0311 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ruger SR22. Light, fun to shoot, not real picky as far as ammunition, and cost is usually $279 - $329
    pir8fan likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Ruger SR22. Light, fun to shoot, not real picky as far as ammunition, and cost is usually $279 - $329
    +1 for the Ruger SR22.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have a Ruger MK1 and MK2, and have shot the Buckmarks. for a fun gun Id be happy with any of those. If I were looking for a fun gun for the range Id be looking for the one most like your SIG in control locations and grip feel. Also a range gun can have a much longer barrel. And big easy to see sights. My wifes favorite is a Ruger MK1, It has a 6 3/4" barrel with target sights. its probably the most accurate gun We own. DR

Distinguished Member
    +1 for the S&W M&P-22 - outstanding pistol.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Don't own any of them but have spent some quality time behind the Rugers and the Buckmarks. I'd lean toward the Buckmark if I was buying but would be happy with the Ruger. You'll be patting yourself on the back for your purchase of a .22 pistol first time you take it out for a spin.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'd lean toward the Ruger or Buckmark. I'm personally quite fond of the Ruger Mk II, now discontinued, since it doesn't have the magazine disconnect or loaded chamber indicator that began with the Mk III series. But they are fundamentally the same gun, and used Mk IIs are fairly common. Some folks cuss the Ruger for its tricky reassembly, but there are YouTube videos that make it easy enough, so don't dismiss the gun for that reason alone.

Be aware that the Ruger and the Browning are both single action autos, but therein lies the delight of the trigger and a simple manual of arms.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Be aware that the Ruger and the Browning are both single action autos, but therein lies the delight of the trigger and a simple manual of arms.
    This would be ideal. I'd prefer something similar to my EDC. Light, quick trigger pulls are fun, too.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

I have the ruger 22/45 mkII. And it been a great gun for target and all around plinking. My brother in law just got the smith 22a And my dad just purchased a beretta neos. And all have been great guns in the $250 to $300 range.

I have had the Buckmark Camper model for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it.

As far as satisfaction, have heard nothing but positive feedback on both the Buckmark and the Ruger. I went with the buckmark simply because it was easier to disassemble and reassemble.

As for the Ruger SR22... I have heard nothing but good about it and am considering looking at it for my next purchase.

However, as dangerranger has already indicated, there is a lot to be said for getting something that has the same, or similar, feel and controls as your SIG. Have you looked at the SIG Mosquito? Not sure how it compares to what you already have in terms of controls, but it should at least have similar “feel” to it and with an MSRP ranging from $390.00 to 470.00, it's in nteh ballpark budgetwise.

Bottom line, for a fun gun, you will be happy with most any of these choices and should go with whichever one feels most comfortable in your hand. Now, if you were looking for small game hunting or something that required that little bit of extra accuracy, I would definitely go for the Buckmark or the Ruger Mark III or some other handgun with a fixed barrel.

Have fun.

VIP Member
    I have a Buckmark Camper, a Ruger MK III Standard, a Ruger MK III Target, and a Ruger MK III Hunter 6 7/8" barrel.

I like the MK III Standard the best. For me, the MK III Standard has the best balance overall (it is also the least expensive). The one drawback is that the standard does not have adjustable target sights. But for 25 yards or less the sights are fine.

All of my Rugers have stock triggers that break just shy of 3 pounds. The Buckmark breaks just over 4 pounds.

If you like to tinker, the rugers have many aftermarket options, and you can order parts to get rid of the mag disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator (but those two features aren't really a big deal, and don't affect the gun's performance).

The one drawback for all MK III's is that they are a bit difficult to disassemble. The fits are very tight, and you'll need to watch a few youtube videos to get the hang of it if you do not follow the directions to the T. But after the first couple of times disassembly/reassembly is very easy.

Love the M&P 22. VERY similar to the M&P 9; identical other than the recoil.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Love my M&P 22. Great fun, and very reliable so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links