It drives me crazy...

It drives me crazy...

This is a discussion on It drives me crazy... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted on FB, yes I know maybe I shouldn't have, that I (or my wife really) is a proud owner of a ruger sr9c. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: It drives me crazy...

It drives me crazy...

I posted on FB, yes I know maybe I shouldn't have, that I (or my wife really) is a proud owner of a ruger sr9c. A lot of my close friends were happy for me. But ones that I don't know that well or even my own family (cousins, aunts, and uncles) have responded with something along the lines of "I feel bad for you for living in an area that you would need a gun" REALLY? I live in the US I need a gun. I'm sorry but the police are a good 20-30 minute response time. How did I respond? I simply told them that "I would be remiss in my duties as a husband, father, and christian to not own a gun." I know you can't convince those who think guns are bad to change their minds. It just drives me crazy people think guns are for criminals or those who live in bad area's. Maybe the reason I live in a nice area is all the gun owners in my neighborhood.

Sorry I had to vent.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

I feel bad for you just because you're a Cards fan, but then I guess that is another story...
    paullie likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

All I have to say is "joker phillips"
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Football, right? That was sooo last season.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

With one win this season I would claim it as last season too. lol

mkh
    Just do what you think is right and don't worry about what others think. After all they won't protect you and your family any more than the police will.
    Brad426 likes this.

My observation is that if your beliefs and your politics lean toward the conservative side, posting your interests on Facebook is like flypaper for critics. I've dealt out some "in kind" posts and comments, and oh my goodness, you should hear the howls! Fortunately, by this stage of my life I've grown a pretty thick skin.

But regardless, congrats on the new gun!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'd just reply we have jobs and don't live in a gated community.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

My wife does the FB thing, I pretty much steer clear of it. Lets say "most" of her friends are at or over retirement age. They are all very outspoken on FB but in person, not so much. They have mostly been supportive of her shooting, But you wouldn't believe the political comments! Early on we got the shock of her family out of the way when we took our 17 year old nephew out shooting! He had never even seen a gun up close and personal. And we let him touch one. Wife's sis nearly passed out! That's been 27 years ago, I still don't hide what I do, and they have pretty much gotten used to it. We still don't talk about it at family gatherings tho. Good Luck, DR

Quote Originally Posted by jryan630 View Post
    I posted on FB, yes I know maybe I shouldn't have, that I (or my wife really) is a proud owner of a ruger sr9c. A lot of my close friends were happy for me. But ones that I don't know that well or even my own family (cousins, aunts, and uncles) have responded with something along the lines of "I feel bad for you for living in an area that you would need a gun" REALLY? I live in the US I need a gun. I'm sorry but the police are a good 20-30 minute response time. How did I respond? I simply told them that "I would be remiss in my duties as a husband, father, and christian to not own a gun." I know you can't convince those who think guns are bad to change their minds. It just drives me crazy people think guns are for criminals or those who live in bad area's. Maybe the reason I live in a nice area is all the gun owners in my neighborhood.

Sorry I had to vent.
    Don't be sorry for venting. I for one, am happy for the decision you (and your Wfe) made to have firearms in your household.
    Let the ones, who "feel bad" for you place calls to their Local PD when the SHTF in their area, and nobody responds.
    At least you and yours are preparded and forward thinking enough to see the forest thru the trees. Thumbs up to you!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I have a sister that is anti hunting and a bit outspoken about me being a "Bambi Killer"; I send her pictures of my kills

advertising to the world on FB that you own firearms is in of itself, not a good idea. Everyone I know is on a "as needs to know basis" regarding my hobby and passion.....

and they all have no needs to know.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by jryan630 View Post
    It just drives me crazy people think guns are for criminals or those who live in bad area's.
    Such people have never been "under the gun." Until they have, many will continue to refuse to believe reality is real, that being capable of surviving until the cavalry arrives has value.

"Nature cannot be fooled."

-- Richard P. Feynman
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I post pics of my guns on FB from time to time.

If I get some self-righteous antigun crap from anyone, I just delete it.

If they don't like it, they can take a hike.

I have the same problem, especially with my relatives that live in Canada. A while back (this summer) it was "take your daughter to the range day" Well, I thought that was great. My daughters have been to the range MANY times, but have never gotten to shoot yet. (being ages 7 and 5, they have only helped me pick up brass when the range is deserted, which is 99% of the time)

Well, this time I was going to let them shoot a BB gun. I also took along a .22 rifle and they watched me shoot that as well. They had a great time and I posted pics on FB when I got home. Well, I had many "likes" and nice comments. BUT, one cousin of mine told me that taking my daughters to the range was "child abuse" HUH? My whole point that day was to teach my daughters how to safely handle a firearm (and they only actually handled a BB gun) I taught them the gun safety rules, and they were quite accurate in hitting the targets. I suppose my cousin thinks that NOT teaching gun safety, (but letting my daughters find a gun someday on their own, and not know how to handle it) is a better plan.

Needless to say, some of my relatives have very warped views on firearms. They have grown up in a nanny society, the government is THEIR boss, (instead of the other way around) and they don't know what freedom, self reliance or responsibility even mean. They've never known those things. In fact, even PEPPER SPRAY is illegal in Canada. Yeah, its that bad.

Anyway, one thing I discovered on FB is that you can create "groups." And then post to just those people. Of course you should have the right to post what you want and not worry about it, but if you don't want the hassle, you could just create groups for gun owners and other groups for Christians, people from work, etc. That will help censor out some of those "controversial" posts on days that you don't want to deal with those certain people's comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links