DA handguns with an external hammer?

This is a discussion on DA handguns with an external hammer? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another vote for the CZ 82. It is a 9mm, but it's 9X18. A bit smaller than 9mm parabellum, a bit bigger than .380. And, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: DA handguns with an external hammer?

Re: DA handguns with an external hammer?

Another vote for the CZ 82.

It is a 9mm, but it's 9X18. A bit smaller than 9mm parabellum, a bit bigger than .380.

And, unless you're in California, maybe NY andMassachusetts, 13 rounds.

Ammo mostly purchased online.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    It is a 9mm, but it's 9X18. A bit smaller than 9mm parabellum, a bit bigger than .380..
    The one thing about that though, is that with full power 115 grain JHPs no longer being imported, the power really is pretty close to 380 levels. The one exception I know of would be buffalo bore hard cast 115 grains which is pushing the same weight of bullet at about the same speeds, but being ball ammo it seems almost a moot point.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I already have a glock 19, which is striker fired. I think I misspoke when I said that having a decocker was something that is a must have. I am prett comfortable decocking the hammer even with the chance I may blow a toe off. I am pretty safe. I have taken a few handgun safety/training classes so I'm not a danger to myself or others. I just wanted some good brand names-model numbers of some goodguns with the external hammer. Again thank ypu again to everyone I found a metro arms American classic 1911( I know I said no 1911's) but this one has the 4in barrel. Has anyone had any luck with these

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Another vote for the CZ 82.

It is a 9mm, but it's 9X18. A bit smaller than 9mm parabellum, a bit bigger than .380.

And, unless you're in California, maybe NY andMassachusetts, 13 rounds.

Ammo mostly purchased online.

I bought a makarov 9x18 and where I live it is such a pain to have a steady supply of the stuff.

Beretta 92A1.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Ruger P95 DA/SA-Decoker 9mm--15+1

Bersa Thunder 380 DA/SA--Decocker 7+1

Both can be picked up for not to many $$$$

I also like the Beretta PX4. They have them in a subcompact, compact, and full size.

+1 for the PX4 Compact
    kal0 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    You see what I mean about not knowing anything about this? Lol . Yes I want one that is both ( one that you can decock to carry the either pull the trigger or can cock it back for an easier trigger pull).
    +1 on the Bersa suggestion.

Bersa has some great guns. I carry a Bersa Thunder .45 Ultra Compact Pro. It's got a 3.8 inch barrel, it's small enough to carry but not so small that you'd feel ridiculous using it at home. 7+1, DA/SA with external hammer, and the safety is also a decocker. Good price, too. They also come in 9mm and .40.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    FNP is another option.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Another vote for the CZ75 P01. If you hold one in your hand, you will buy one, guaranteed. Plus they shoot really good.
    bombthrower77 and Mjr_Fail like this.

In a Sig DA/SA with decocker and manual safety, if the hammer is back with a bullet in the chamber, is the trigger pull DA or SA on the first round? Seems like it would be the SA light trigger pull like a 1911. What I am thinking that if you have time to manually cock the hammer you get the light trigger. IF you don't have time, you gotta do what you gotta do and use the heavy DA. I have heard complaints that the 10 pound DA trigger is difficult to control. My P238 is SA only with a manual safety and I am comfortable with that in condition one.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by Kawboy65 View Post
    Another vote for the CZ75 P01. If you hold one in your hand, you will buy one, guaranteed. Plus they shoot really good.
    +1 The CZ P01 is my EDC.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Do not lightly discount the possibility of your thumb slipping off of the hammer when de-cocking that way. No matter how experienced you are it can still happen. When it does, even if the gun is pointed in a safe direction, your thumb will be right behind the slide which will be coming back with speed and force. Not good.

Even if you've bought your gun already, I think you'd still find it fun and instructive to rent some guns with different manual of arms. It can give you a good feel for other systems and whether or not you might like or dislike them.

Train!

Look at the Sig P250, it is DAO and has a hammer for around $450, it will fit your needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links