DA handguns with an external hammer?

This is a discussion on DA handguns with an external hammer? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys I think Santa is going to let me get a new pistol for Christmas. I really want a handgun with an external hammer. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: DA handguns with an external hammer?

DA handguns with an external hammer?

Guys I think Santa is going to let me get a new pistol for Christmas. I really want a handgun with an external hammer. I really don't know a lot about different styles or models of gun. I will probably only use it for the range and maybe concealed carry once in a blue moon. I know 1911's have a fully functional one but I want one that's a little more affordable for a poor kid like me. Can you guys (or gals ) please give me some suggestions? Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

Are you interested in DA/SA or DAO? I love the CZ P-01 for the money in 9mm and I recently purchased an HK45c that's my new favorite. Both are DA/SA with a decocker, and I can carry either IWB.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

You see what I mean about not knowing anything about this? Lol . Yes I want one that is both ( one that you can decock to carry the either pull the trigger or can cock it back for an easier trigger pull).

You could look at some of the Sig Sauer or HK line-ups, high quality, little bit higher price (than say Glock, M&P's, XD's), but i think less than a quality 1911. You'll want to ask yourself if you want external safeties on the weapon as well as you look since 1911 are actually single action i believe because the trigger only drops the hammer it does not cock AND drop the hammer.

Is a revolver in the running?
    Tayopo likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If you are on a budget, these Canik 55 CZ clones look very promising. I would also throw in the Bersa Thunder full size and compacts that have ambi safety/decockers and are DA/SA. Very good guns for the buck.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i..._1199/Canik55/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...ersa+Handguns/
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I suggest you take a look at what Beretta has to offer. Here are pictures of my 92 Brigadier FS on the left and my PX4 Storm on the right.
    Both have external hammers that are de-cocked by way of the safety/decocker clearly seen in the pictures. Both require a long double action pull on the first shot. Subsequent shots are single action until remaining rounds are spent or until the gun is decocked.

Whatever you settle on it sounds as if you could use some training. I hope that happens for you and that you're able to find something that works for you. The Berettas are pretty nice.
    Attached Images
    blitzburgh, kal0 and darbo like this.

Re: DA handguns with an external hammer?

I couldn't be happier with my PX4 Storm.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    darbo and kal0 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I really like the Sigs (P226 and P239) that have a decocker. First shot is DA, following shots are SA with a light trigger pull.

CZ-82.

Cheap ($200-$250), reliable and DA. Doesn't have a de-cocker per se, but can be carried safely with a round in the chamber and the hammer down, you just have to manually lower the hammer.
    CaptSmith and oakchas like this.

VIP Member
    If you want to decock, then get one with a decocker. Especially if you are new to firearms or autoloaders!!!!

You run the risk of a negligent discharge when you lower the hammer on a live round with your thumb.

If you are going to carry, I recommend a CZ 75D PCR. The "D" stands for decocker. It will run you in the 550 range new.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Manual decocking a semi-auto just scares me...I've had semi-autos for 50 years or so.
    bombthrower77 and pittypat21 like this.

VIP Member
    CZ75 P-01 gets my vote.
    bombthrower77 and Mjr_Fail like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    A bit heavier than current production stuff, but all the things you are looking for in a proven, reliable platform. They are commonly available in larger gun stores. S&W 5906 9mm SADA 4 bbl, excellent bore, Stainless Steel, 2 mags for sale (936731056)
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

My initial thought is also that the CZ82 would be perfect, considering what you are asking for. Given that you said you don't know too much about handguns I am a bit concerned that you might actually be happier with a striker fired gun but don't know the differences so well. Regardless, the CZ82 fits your parameters very well. Fun to shoot, and cheap to shoot if you reload, cheap to buy, safe to carry. Lacking in power some, but workable.
    oakchas likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links