My new gun's almost here!!!!

This is a discussion on My new gun's almost here!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So this past weekend I purchased a brand new Rock Island Armory GI 1911A1 .45 ACP 5" from budsgunshop.com. I wanted to go with something ...

Thread: My new gun's almost here!!!!

My new gun's almost here!!!!

So this past weekend I purchased a brand new Rock Island Armory GI 1911A1 .45 ACP 5" from budsgunshop.com. I wanted to go with something simple, nothing flashy, nor high dollar. 423.00 dollars and a 10 dollar transfer/paperwork fee at FFL.

The gun is in transit through 2nd day air UPS and to be delivered by the end of the day tomorrow to the FFL. I'm headed to the woods this weekend and I'd like a little advice/help.

--Being new to the 1911 scene and .45 ACP, anybody have tips for picking the best .45 ACP ammo for my particular model gun or closely similar?

--Also, need help with a holster. I like the IWB sleeping dog holster from condors flight, but I haven't seen one for a 1911. I necessarily don't need an IWB holster; just need something concealable and durable.

--Grips. Need advice with grips as well. What are you guys using out there, what are some good manufacturers and non-budget busting grips. (Honestly would rather spend my money on ammo) Would like to keep the whole gun all black so particularly no wood grips. Something comfortable for medium/large hands.

Thanks Guys,

B

2. Remove Ads

Re: My new gun's almost here!!!!

I can't offer any advice. However, if you wouldn't mind PMing me after you get to spend some time at the range with it and let me know what you think, id greatly appreciate it.

I've never owned an 1911 and haven't been a big fan of them aside from their looks. I'm in the market for an RIA to be my introductory one, so the feedback would be great.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Congrats on the new 1911. Just get a few boxes of basic 230 hardball from Winchester, Federal, etc. As for grips, I bought a set of rosewood grip panels for my Kimber 1911 several years ago. You should be able to find them being offered online by Brownells, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Midway USA, etc. On holsters, I tend to like Galco products, but there are a lot of good holster makers out there. Just do a little online research and you should find one that you feel will work for you.

Replaced the cheesy "wood" grips on this Metro Arms American Classic II with black rubber Pearce Grips
    for a full size 1911. Think they were around 15 dollars.

Before

After
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Congrats and good luck!

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    come back with a range report!

I just purchased a Remingto R1 1911 and I too recommend the Winchester hard ball for practice ammo. $43+ a box of 100 rds. Try Ebay for grips lots of them on there. My 1911 runs well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    I just purchased a Remingto R1 1911 and I too recommend the Winchester hard ball for practice ammo. $43+ a box of 100 rds. Try Ebay for grips lots of them on there. My 1911 runs well so far.
    Thanks for that advice!

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    come back with a range report!
    I will most definitely come back with a report.

VIP Member
    Nice choice, I can't help you on the ammo as I load my own. But I like the Pachmayr grips.
    Sig 1911.jpg

The small Kimber 3" has the Pachmayr grips, The Sig is brand new not sure what grips I will put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Nice choice, I can't help you on the ammo as I load my own. But I like the Pachmayr grips.
    Sig 1911.jpg

The small Kimber 3" has the Pachmayr grips, The Sig is brand new not sure what grips I will put on it.
    Some great looking guns ya got there. I'm slowly building my arsenal up. Really looking to start building my ammo up. I want to get a nagant and put the ATI stock on it next for a deer rifle for my next gun.

VIP Member
    You can't go wrong with a Nagant. The Finish models are very nice, if you can find one. I have a $89.00 Russian one and it shoots good. It is kind of long.
    I just shoot it at the range with the surplus ( corrosive ammo ) It is the only ammo that I purchase and don't reload that caliber. You can purchase non corrosive hunting ammo for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    You can't go wrong with a Nagant. The Finish models are very nice, if you can find one. I have a $89.00 Russian one and it shoots good. It is kind of long.
    I just shoot it at the range with the surplus ( corrosive ammo ) It is the only ammo that I purchase and don't reload that caliber. You can purchase non corrosive hunting ammo for it.
    have you seen the nagant where the barrels shortened and a pistol grip put on to make it a nagant pistol?

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun. As mentioned, e-bay is a good place to start looking for grips. Might check there for holsters also. As for ammo, for practice, Federal or Winchester 230 gr ball ammo for practice, for a defensive load, you need to try different ones to see what works best in your gun. Wouldn't recommend buying more than a box at a time to test. I like the 230 gr Federal HST, or the Winchester 230 gr PDX rounds. Walmart around here stocks the PDX rounds, the Federal HST is going to be harder to find.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    If you're taking the gun into the woods with you hunting, I'd recommend the Federal Guard Dogs- they're expanding FMJs, so you won't have to worry about feed issues with an 'unproven' gun.

Does the same as a hollowpoint, just with no feeding issues. My Springfield has rubber grips and I love them- no slipping, no worries.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Links