How are rim fire bullets made?

How are rim fire bullets made?

This is a discussion on How are rim fire bullets made? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since the primer is in the hollowed edge of the bullet, how do bullet makers get the primer in the rim?...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By kapnketel
  • 2 Post By mprp

Thread: How are rim fire bullets made?

Question How are rim fire bullets made?

Since the primer is in the hollowed edge of the bullet, how do bullet makers get the primer in the rim?
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Very carefully, with a tiny little spatula.

In other words, I have no idea.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

This might help: Module 05 :: Rimfire
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have a box of Remington .22 shorts, probably from the 30s. In spite of the box stating "These cartriges are positively non-corrosive", it appears as though the primer material has swelled splitting all the case head rims. I won't be selling this online, as I don't want to ship it, and won't be firing it either.

I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Here is a good explanation. You learn something everyday...

The Impossible .22 Rimfire
    Fisher10 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Here is a good explanation. You learn something everyday...

The Impossible .22 Rimfire
    That is a very interesting read. It didn't take long for me to wonder why in the world rimfire cartridges have survived to this day as cheapest and most plentiful ammo. Wouldn't centerfire be easier to manufacture and more reliable to shoot?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Interesting read. I rarely have a misfire with the CCI Mini-Mags I use, and those usually go off on a second strike. As for inherent inaccuracy? I'd have to disagree on that. Until I left WA state a few years back, I used my vintage Win Model 72 I got when I was 12 (60 now) to pop ground squirrels regularly at 75-100 yards. Beyond that it was like lobbing mortor rounds. To keep it sporting, I resorted to using .22 shorts and a lot of elevation! But they got the job done pretty dang consistantly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well now I know why at todays bulk priced 22 ammo I can almost reload centerfire ammo just as cheap,and when it comes to the premium 22 ammo can reload 9,40,45,and 380 cheaper
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What's not to love about the .22 rimfire. I remember emptying boxes and stuffing my pockets full of rounds only to disappear all day long when I was a kid. Nothing but open sights setting on top of an old JC Higgins semi-auto that was messed up enough to be a single shot at best. The squirrels that I didn't hit in and around a 200 yard radius sure did get the crap scared out of them. Who's with me?
    lchamp and msgt/ret like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links