Defensive Carry banner

Nagant

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  jackson85746 
#1 ·
So, I'm looking into picking up a mosin nagant 91/30 for a deer rifle and other big game. I want to put an ATI stock on it to make it a modern looking gun, and put a descent scope on it.

Give me some ups and downs of a mosin and what to look for when purchasing one. And please any comments on the ATI stock.

Any advice is welcome.

#2 ·
The scope is an issue. You may have a problem with the bolt hitting it. It also will need to be mounted kinda high off the reciever, so you will need to extend the height of the check piece. Since you are changing out the stock you can find a stock with an adjustable check rest.

How far away do you think your deer shots will be? If under 200 yards would you need the scope?

#3 ·
I'm gonna be in Alaska so some might be a couple hundred yards over 200.

#4 ·
Yep, your going to need the scope. Get a scope thats easy to make your elevation (distance) come ups. I will post a picture of my Nagants. I have one with a scope on it. ( when I get home tonight)

You need to deal with the bolt handle. If it is straight out it will be a problem with the scope when you "rack" the bolt. If you can find the Finish model 91 I think they have a bent bolt handle so you won't hit the scope or mount when you chamber a round. If you change the stock you may have to file a relief into the stock for the bent bolt to rest.

#6 ·
By the time you've finished trying to make a "deer rifle" out of it by buying a replacement stock, scope, rings, mount and bent-bolt conversion, you could have just bought a low-priced hunting rifle.

Either hunt with it as-is (as I have in the past) or put all the money and effort into buying a Remington, Mossberg or Savage hunting rifle. Looking at current ads for sporting goods stores, many have scoped rifles ready to go starting at $299.

#7 ·
here's mine, i have $150 into it ($50 scope, $100 rifle, chopped the stock, shortened the barrel):

my $.02:

don't waste money on aftermarket parts. rear sight is on 3/8" dovetails. pop the pins, drift it off, and mount an extended eye relief scope. unless the stock is laminated, just chop it and paint it black with textured paint. if you buy a poly stock, you will only gain a couple ounces. if you buy a scope mount and the stock you are looking at $250 before the scope itself.

in other words, do it on the cheap, or don't do it; because if you use aftermarket parts, you might as well just buy a modern rifle.

#8 ·
I tried what you're talking about last year. The results were mixed. The Mosin I had was an M38. I put the Monty Carlo stock on it, bought the ATI (IIRC) scope mount which requires drilling holes in the receiver, and a pretty good Nikon scope. After mounting the scope, I could not get the kind of accuracy I needed to hunt with it, I gave up on using it because nothing is worse than just wounding an animal.

Mosin M38 rifle $150
Scope $100 (used)
Scope mount $50
Turn down bolt handle kit $50
Many hours of work modifying the safety and bolt for cock on close for easier operation and other fine tuning $......

After a $300 investment I still had a rifle I did not feel comfortable depending on. In addition, it weighs 9+ pounds. Hiking around in the boonies all day with that on your shoulder will make you wish you never thought of hunting.

So I gave up that project and bought a used Savage hunting rifle for $450.

#9 ·
as promised
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Air gun Trigger Wind instrument

Both WWII vintage, the sniper model is all matching numbers, note the bolt handle no problems loading it doesn't hit the scope.

The problem with some of the forward mounts is the eye relief. So I agree with some posters above, just get a hunting rifle.
I picked up a Tikka with scope for $600.00 it has detachable mags and the action is butter.

#10 ·
Gotta love the 7.62 x 54R.....Plenty of knock down power. The iron sights on the Mosin's are pretty good, a 200 yd shot should not be a problem.

Reactions: bmcgilvray
#13 ·
The 91/30 was just too big for little me. I'm picking up my M38 tonight (YAY!!!!) and I have a recoil pad that just came today. The M38 (with a 20" barrel instead of 29" on the 91/30) is just the right size for me. Although, given the wood furniture, it is still relatively heavy. But not as bad as the M44 which has the side folding bayonet.

#15 ·
If you have ANY intention of modifying an M38, I encourage you to think again. They are getting harder to find these days and are already one of the higher valued varients if left in original condition.

I got mine 6-7 years ago and it's already tripled in value.

"Sporterising" military rifles used to be an economical way to get a hunting rifle. Nowerdays it's really not much of a money saver, and you can get a rifle specifically built for that purpose for not much more investment.

If you're going to slip on a recoil pad and use it as-is, then go for it! I used mine for several seasons and it's a handy little carbine for carrying through the woods.

#20 ·
What's the FBI thing i've heard of, UPIN? I think. Anybody know anything about that? supposedly it helps with purchasing firearms without delay.

#21 ·
Son-in-law has a Nagant for HD...he keeps the bayonet handy...the thing is medeval with the bayonet affixed...but it is ruff junk compared to a German or Yugo or CZ mauser...or any other manufactured combat or hunting arm from the 20th or 21st century.................Chechako..bring enough gun

#24 ·
Concerning the ATI stocks - if you go folding, I've had some issues with the common adaptors stripping easily (cross treading). My opinion is that they are using a lesser grade of Alum to make it.

However, ATI customer service is very good and works through these issues with you.

#25 ·
Buy it, shoot it. Then figure what you need. I have one completely stock (for nostalgic reasons, my great-grandfather carried one in the Baltic Wars) I find my 30.06 with it's thick rubber butt pad kicks worse that the Moison. The iron sights are 200 yards easily, if your eyesight is up to it. And yes, with the bayonet on it, she's 5 ft in length and seriously awesome.
Jim

#26 ·
Picked up my M38 today. All matching Serial numbers, good bore, except it has been counterbored. It is a 1943 (at least the 3 is what I made it out to be under a bright light and a magnifying glass) and it is in an M44 stock, which is not uncommon. Now I just have to make a trip to the range to test it out. Won't be able to do that for a while though.

#27 ·
Leave the Mosin Nagant alone. That's only one opinion but I agree with others posting above. It'd be like pouring funds down a rathole unless you're simply enjoying the hobby of sporterizing the Russian rifle for its own sake. If that's so then you need no justification and it becomes a labor of love.

I have a 91/30 around here and it's a hoot to shoot at long distance targets. The rifle is powerful and effective. It is not one of the speediest bolt action repeaters. The design doesn't lend itself well to convenient manipulation for follow-up shots. Repeat shots are relatively awkward compared to other bolt action designs. While any of several scope mounting schemes will do, it'd not be the most satisfactory rifle one could scope up.

I've taken several deer up to 200 yards with open-sighted rifles. The longest shot was a bit over 200 yards, taken from rested position on a rolled up coat, across the hood of a '69 Ford pickup. An unaltered Krag Jorgensen rifle in .30-40 was used to poke a 220 grain round nose bullet through both shoulders of a doe on this occasion. Sufficiently flat-shooting and effective the .30-40 proved to be and the 7.62X54R could be considered to be more powerful than the .30-40.

I've been considering taking the 91/30 out on our old place for a deer hunt in a spot where one can't see more than 200 yards and most shots offered would be half that distance. The rifle was a gift and it'd be cool to tell the giver that it put meat on the table.

#28 ·
I also agree with the leave it as is crowd, remorse kicks in about one uh-oh second after your done. If I were going to spend $350.00 for a rifle personally I would get a lever action 30-30 and call it a day. However if you do take the Mosin Nagant hunting attach the bayonet and you maybe over come with the urge to charge the deer. Just pretend it is wearing field gray and wearing a coal bucket helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.