Nagant

Nagant

This is a discussion on Nagant within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm looking into picking up a mosin nagant 91/30 for a deer rifle and other big game. I want to put an ATI stock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Nagant

Nagant

So, I'm looking into picking up a mosin nagant 91/30 for a deer rifle and other big game. I want to put an ATI stock on it to make it a modern looking gun, and put a descent scope on it.

Give me some ups and downs of a mosin and what to look for when purchasing one. And please any comments on the ATI stock.

Any advice is welcome.

VIP Member
    The scope is an issue. You may have a problem with the bolt hitting it. It also will need to be mounted kinda high off the reciever, so you will need to extend the height of the check piece. Since you are changing out the stock you can find a stock with an adjustable check rest.

How far away do you think your deer shots will be? If under 200 yards would you need the scope?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    The scope is an issue. You may have a problem with the bolt hitting it. It also will need to be mounted kinda high off the reciever, so you will need to extend the height of the check piece. Since you are changing out the stock you can find a stock with an adjustable check rest.

How far away do you think your deer shots will be? If under 200 yards would you need the scope?
    I'm gonna be in Alaska so some might be a couple hundred yards over 200.

VIP Member
    Yep, your going to need the scope. Get a scope thats easy to make your elevation (distance) come ups. I will post a picture of my Nagants. I have one with a scope on it. ( when I get home tonight)

You need to deal with the bolt handle. If it is straight out it will be a problem with the scope when you "rack" the bolt. If you can find the Finish model 91 I think they have a bent bolt handle so you won't hit the scope or mount when you chamber a round. If you change the stock you may have to file a relief into the stock for the bent bolt to rest.

Senior Moderator
    I think someone makes a "Scout Mount" for a scope that replaces the front sight.

Yep here's one http://combatoptical.com/catalog/Mos...FQWonQodgVUAOg

The bolt doesn't hit it
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

By the time you've finished trying to make a "deer rifle" out of it by buying a replacement stock, scope, rings, mount and bent-bolt conversion, you could have just bought a low-priced hunting rifle.

Either hunt with it as-is (as I have in the past) or put all the money and effort into buying a Remington, Mossberg or Savage hunting rifle. Looking at current ads for sporting goods stores, many have scoped rifles ready to go starting at $299.

here's mine, i have $150 into it ($50 scope, $100 rifle, chopped the stock, shortened the barrel):

my $.02:

don't waste money on aftermarket parts. rear sight is on 3/8" dovetails. pop the pins, drift it off, and mount an extended eye relief scope. unless the stock is laminated, just chop it and paint it black with textured paint. if you buy a poly stock, you will only gain a couple ounces. if you buy a scope mount and the stock you are looking at $250 before the scope itself.

in other words, do it on the cheap, or don't do it; because if you use aftermarket parts, you might as well just buy a modern rifle.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

PB2
    I tried what you're talking about last year. The results were mixed. The Mosin I had was an M38. I put the Monty Carlo stock on it, bought the ATI (IIRC) scope mount which requires drilling holes in the receiver, and a pretty good Nikon scope. After mounting the scope, I could not get the kind of accuracy I needed to hunt with it, I gave up on using it because nothing is worse than just wounding an animal.

Mosin M38 rifle $150
    Scope $100 (used)
    Scope mount $50
    Turn down bolt handle kit $50
    Many hours of work modifying the safety and bolt for cock on close for easier operation and other fine tuning $......

After a $300 investment I still had a rifle I did not feel comfortable depending on. In addition, it weighs 9+ pounds. Hiking around in the boonies all day with that on your shoulder will make you wish you never thought of hunting.

So I gave up that project and bought a used Savage hunting rifle for $450.

VIP Member
    as promised
    Nagants.jpgNagants side.jpgNagants top.jpg

Both WWII vintage, the sniper model is all matching numbers, note the bolt handle no problems loading it doesn't hit the scope.

The problem with some of the forward mounts is the eye relief. So I agree with some posters above, just get a hunting rifle.
    I picked up a Tikka with scope for $600.00 it has detachable mags and the action is butter.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Gotta love the 7.62 x 54R.....Plenty of knock down power. The iron sights on the Mosin's are pretty good, a 200 yd shot should not be a problem.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post

They do make modern bolts so that you can mount a scope on the 91/30. I am going to do that to mine when I return from deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    Gotta love the 7.62 x 54R.....Plenty of knock down power. The iron sights on the Mosin's are pretty good, a 200 yd shot should not be a problem.
    I was hitting targets out to 500 yards with my iron sights.

Distinguished Member
    The 91/30 was just too big for little me. I'm picking up my M38 tonight (YAY!!!!) and I have a recoil pad that just came today. The M38 (with a 20" barrel instead of 29" on the 91/30) is just the right size for me. Although, given the wood furniture, it is still relatively heavy. But not as bad as the M44 which has the side folding bayonet.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    They do make modern bolts so that you can mount a scope on the 91/30. I am going to do that to mine when I return from deployment.
    Yes they do but you have to check the head space and fiddle around getting one and drilling and mounting the scope mounts or rail to reciever finding the right size rings to clear it and your scope . You would be much better off just getting a hunting rifle. Or just shoot it with the iron sites. I just shot one at the range last month at 500 yards iron sites on an 18" steel target with 90 degree wind gusts.

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    The 91/30 was just too big for little me. I'm picking up my M38 tonight (YAY!!!!) and I have a recoil pad that just came today. The M38 (with a 20" barrel instead of 29" on the 91/30) is just the right size for me. Although, given the wood furniture, it is still relatively heavy. But not as bad as the M44 which has the side folding bayonet.
    If you have ANY intention of modifying an M38, I encourage you to think again. They are getting harder to find these days and are already one of the higher valued varients if left in original condition.

I got mine 6-7 years ago and it's already tripled in value.

"Sporterising" military rifles used to be an economical way to get a hunting rifle. Nowerdays it's really not much of a money saver, and you can get a rifle specifically built for that purpose for not much more investment.

If you're going to slip on a recoil pad and use it as-is, then go for it! I used mine for several seasons and it's a handy little carbine for carrying through the woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links