Transfering Gun Ownership - Gift gun, still in Ex's name

This is a discussion on Transfering Gun Ownership - Gift gun, still in Ex's name within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering how to go about transferring ownership of a pistol? I tried to google it, but didn't turn up with much. Case in ...

Thread: Transfering Gun Ownership - Gift gun, still in Ex's name

Transfering Gun Ownership - Gift gun, still in Ex's name

I was wondering how to go about transferring ownership of a pistol? I tried to google it, but didn't turn up with much. Case in point, my Ex bought a pistol and gifted it to me years ago, when cleaning out my files the other day I realized this, and need to get his name off of it.

How do I go about this?

Thank you.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

2. Remove Ads

NMB
    Do you have registration in NC?

I would call your local sheriffs dept and ask what needs to be done.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^That^^
    Here in FL it's no issue, no registration, no rediculous permit to buy needed. NC sure seems to make everything gun related more difficult than necessary.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by BrunetteMP View Post
    I was wondering how to go about transferring ownership of a pistol? I tried to google it, but didn't turn up with much. Case in point, my Ex bought a pistol and gifted it to me years ago, when cleaning out my files the other day I realized this, and need to get his name off of it. How do I go about this? Thank you.
    Looks like there is no gun registration in NC.

http://www.ncrpa.org/ncgunfaq.htm

However, it looks like you need a pistol purchase permit issued by the local sheriff in order to buy or even receive as a gift a firearm. See section II B on link below.

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/images/200...Laws%20Pub.pdf

Contact your local sheriffs office and get the gun permit.

Man, how I love living in Texas, where we don't have gun registration nor do we need permits to buy, sell or gift firearms.

In NC there is no registration for guns. His name is on the 4473 if it was purchased from a FFL. You do not need to transfer anything. When it was gifted to you in NC you should have had either a pistol purchase permit from the sheriffs office of the county you resided in at the time or you should have had a concealed carry permit. By NC statute you are required to have either one of these to take permanent possession of a handgun in the state of NC.

He would have been required by law to verify that you had one or the other and statutes are not specific on whether or not he is required to have taken or kept the pistol purchase permit.

In the dissolution of your marriage, what was the property distribution? That may be sufficient to show it was yours if the question was ever pressed.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions I may be able to help you with.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    here in SC, we've just written out a "bill of sale" signed by the seller and hand over the gun. That shows transfer of ownership on record inc ase there's ever a question later on.

Distinguished Member
    Here in Oregon, you just verify that someone is a resident and at least the required age and then you give it to them as a gift or they give you money and you give the gun to them. No paperwork involved. There is no registration per se, but when you do buy from an FFL, you do fill out the paper work and they run the background check and then they have to retain that per BATF regulations, but nothing is reported to anyone.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Links