AR15

This is a discussion on AR15 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to purchase an AR.What are the pros and cons of gas and piston? Also can parts interchange from different manufacturers?...

Thread: AR15

AR15

Looking to purchase an AR.What are the pros and cons of gas and piston? Also can parts interchange from different manufacturers?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Gas runs a cleaner as the bolt is not driven by exhaust gasses. Piston guns are more money, and I would rather put the money into a good optic. As for part interchangeability, as a general rule yes but not always. Do not assume interchangeability.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Gas runs a cleaner as the bolt is not driven by exhaust gasses. Piston guns are more money, and I would rather put the money into a good optic. As for part interchangeability, as a general rule yes but not always. Do not assume interchangeability.
    Agree for the most part. The gas piston is great but if the cost is a deal breaker for you then it the stick with the stand weapon. Better to buy quality than just because it it a piston system.
    AR/M4 if it cheaper there is a reason no madder what system you go with.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    At this point - as the above posters have suggested - I would stick with a quality direct gas impingement instead of spending the extra dollars to get a gas piston system. I don't think the durability and reliability of a gas piston AR is significant enough to account for the additional cost.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Links