The obsolete Federal Hydra Shok

This is a discussion on The obsolete Federal Hydra Shok within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by zacii So much for outdated ammo and a short & weak cartridge I can't think of a better way to test bullet ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The obsolete Federal Hydra Shok

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    So much for outdated ammo and a short & weak cartridge

I can't think of a better way to test bullet performance than hunting. Who needs gelatin when you have muscle and bone?
    And that's one reason I do it. I take two weeks of vacation every year for deer season, and I always take my limit of 4 deer. Not seen in the pic is a doe, that also went down with a 40 s&w round.

My wife and I enjoy the freezer being well stocked for the winter. We are also canning meat this year. For us a store house of food is more important than a huge cache of ammo.

And you are correct. The performance of ammo on animals that closely approximate the cavity area and organs of a human torso tell us much, much more about how ammo performs under real conditions than gelatin.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    And you are correct. The performance of ammo on animals that closely approximate the cavity area and organs of a human torso tell us much, much more about how ammo performs under real conditions than gelatin.
    Gman, if you think of it when you're "in the moment", it might be fun and enlightening to retrieve the bullets that remain in the beast and take some pictures. Somehow I don't think they'll look quite like the "pretty" ones pulled out of the blocks of lab jello!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I love your posts Gman!

Congrats on the nice deer. ;-)

Word of advice, I wouldn't go around and shout too much about how the old outdated stuff is still effective and has no problem causing casualties. Big ammo won't like it.

Distinguished Member
    I have the 180 gr loaded in my G23 and spare mag right now, this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Have u ever taken deer with a 9mm? Just wondering how it does...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Have u ever taken deer with a 9mm? Just wondering how it does...
    Last year. Same results. I think it was a 147 weight Remington GS, but I cant remember for sure.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Gman, if you think of it when you're "in the moment", it might be fun and enlightening to retrieve the bullets that remain in the beast and take some pictures. Somehow I don't think they'll look quite like the "pretty" ones pulled out of the blocks of lab jello!
    I tried to with this one, but the bullet was no where to be found when I got home. Maybe during all the exertion it fell out of my pocket. But I can tell you it was deformed pretty bad. And, alot of times, I get complete penetration, especially with the heavier bullets.

However...he wasn't wearing 4 layers of denim now was he? Makes all the difference you know.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links